About the Banner | Fire Island | News | towleroad

BigGayDeal.com

About the Banner #44

Towleroad187

Explanation of our most recent banner, AFTER THE JUMP...

Ferry

This was my sort of "good-bye to summer" banner, shot with an iPhone on the Sayville ferry to Fire Island over Labor Day weekend. I've been so impressed with the photos that new iPhone can shoot.

On a side note, this is what it looked like in the other direction.

For more About the Banners, click HERE.

Longislandsound

Comments

1. Love the tilt-shift effect in the current banner (3 taxis). Was that done with a tilt-shift lens, or with software?

Posted by: Asher | Sep 23, 2010 8:06:06 PM

2. I recognized it immediately as the FIP ferry, but who's the guy taking a picture on his iphone of you taking a picture on your iphone?

Posted by: Eugene | Sep 23, 2010 9:18:16 PM

3. I think it's a Droid phone...

Posted by: Anonymous | Sep 23, 2010 10:48:33 PM

4. I think i commented before that i didn't care for the facial distortion effect when you stretched that very vertical photo to fit a really horizontal banner.

Love the new taxi banner, though. And most of them.

Posted by: Zlick | Sep 23, 2010 11:27:57 PM

5. Hated that banner ... would have loved the second photo more. It's your site, though.

Posted by: BG | Sep 23, 2010 11:46:51 PM

6. Best banner ever. I loved the movement, the summery feel, and the ultra gayness of it.

Posted by: sam | Sep 24, 2010 12:11:27 AM

7. I agree with Sam.

Posted by: Vince in WeHo | Sep 24, 2010 1:16:01 AM

8. It suggested a story, so, for me anyway, it worked.

Posted by: virtualdespot | Sep 24, 2010 1:27:08 AM

9. Count me among the fans of that -- and pretty much every -- banner. I'd never have looked at the original photo and seen the potential for it to work so well as a horizontal. Kudos, and thanks!

Posted by: chris | Sep 24, 2010 1:36:24 AM

10. I just want that guy's bag!

Posted by: Marcus M. | Sep 24, 2010 1:55:00 AM

11. I'm sure you know this, but if you have an iPhone 4, turn the HDR on when you take a picture and the quality will be AMAZING. When you take a High Dynamic Range photo, three photos are taken: a high saturated one, a low saturated one and a normal photo. The iPhone then combines the three to give the best quality.

Posted by: Tom S. | Sep 24, 2010 7:19:23 AM

12. Anyone who has been on that ferry must have instantly recognized that picture. It certainly sums up all the happy memories from the summer.

Its been my favorite banner so far.

Posted by: MT | Sep 24, 2010 8:22:26 AM

13. @TOM S. How do you do that on your iPhone?

Posted by: MT | Sep 24, 2010 8:24:33 AM

14. The guy in the green shirt taking the photo ?
    "It's absolutely Alice. I'd know him anywhere."

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Sep 24, 2010 9:11:34 AM

15. I always thought that the guy taking the photo recognized Andy, and was all star struck... :-)

Posted by: jim | Sep 24, 2010 9:59:06 AM

16. You've had so many amazing banners, but #44 has to be my favorite. I've never been on the FIP ferry, but it was instantly recognizable, and that shot puts me there almost physically every time I see it. Sorry, but for me the distortion effect enhances the sense of motion and the mood.

Posted by: tbeth | Sep 24, 2010 1:03:26 PM

17. It was a great shot, brought back many memories.

Posted by: BobWest | Sep 24, 2010 2:29:51 PM