Alabama | Deaths | News

BigGayDeal.com

Beetlejuice Actor Glenn Shadix Dies at 58

Shadix

Actor Glenn Shadix, best known for his role as Otho in Beetlejuice, died after a fall on Tuesday at his Birmingham, Alabama condo:

"'He was having mobility problems, and he was in a wheelchair,' Susan Gagne, Shadix's sister, said Tuesday. 'It looks like he fell and hit his head in the kitchen, and that's the cause of death.'...

Besides "Beetle Juice," Mr. Shadix's other films roles included supporting parts in "Heathers," "Demolition Man," "Meet the Applegates" and "Dunston Checks In," as well as a small role in the steamy Jack Nicholson-Jessica Lange mystery "The Postman Always Rings Twice," his first film. On TV, Mr. Shadix appeared in guest roles on "Cheers," "The Golden Girls," "Roseanne," "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" and "Seinfeld," in which he played Jerry Seinfeld's landlord.

After nearly 30 years in Hollywood, Mr. Shadix moved back to Alabama about three years ago to be close to his family and to write, his sister said. In his old hometown of Bessemer, Mr. Shadix bought and was restoring a century-old Queen Anne Victorian house that was later destroyed by a fire in December 2008. Earlier that same year, Mr. Shadix participated in his first Gay Pride Parade in Birmingham. "I had never been to any gay gathering in the South," he told The News at the time. "I have been blessed as a gay man because I never had to deal with any situations of real prejudice or intimidation in my field."

Shadix appeared in more than 70 films and TV shows. He was 58.

Comments

1. Rest in peace sweet Glenn Shadix, you've graced us with the gift of laughter.

Posted by: Dave | Sep 8, 2010 10:07:57 AM

2. Very talented actor. Also was the voice of the Mayor in Nightmare Befor Christmas. Very sad news.

Posted by: Brett | Sep 8, 2010 10:19:51 AM

3. Had one of my favorite lines in movies: "Don't mind her. She's still upset because somebody dropped a house on her sister."

Posted by: David | Sep 8, 2010 10:51:38 AM

4. Classic performance as the priest/minister in Heathers. RIP.

Posted by: PDX_Guy | Sep 8, 2010 11:02:00 AM

5. RIP sir.

Posted by: Joel | Sep 8, 2010 11:41:16 AM

6. awesome actor, such a shame

Posted by: mld | Sep 8, 2010 12:08:05 PM

7. "I love my dead gay son!"

Posted by: AladinSane | Sep 8, 2010 12:12:48 PM

8. Let's just hope he's rubbing noses with Jesus.

Posted by: Josh | Sep 8, 2010 12:19:12 PM

9. I just recently re-watched "Beetlejuice" after all these years and enjoyed re-discovering his performance. Rest in peace "Otho".

Posted by: Chris | Sep 8, 2010 12:37:12 PM

10. "In his old hometown of Bessemer, Mr. Shadix bought and was restoring a century-old Queen Anne Victorian house that was later destroyed by a fire in December 2008."

that's awful

rip

Posted by: shane | Sep 8, 2010 1:40:30 PM

11. I met Glenna few times and we carried on and had lots of fun. A high queen in the best sense. Charming, hilarious and SO very southern. A delight.He is sorely missed.

Posted by: Billy Beyond | Sep 8, 2010 3:21:26 PM

12. "If you don't let me gut out this house and make it my own I will GO INSANE AND I WILL TAKE YOU WITH ME!"

If he was restoring a house he must not have been a stretch to play the decorator character Otho.

RIP

Posted by: brandon | Sep 8, 2010 6:38:52 PM

13. Seriously, the sweetest guy ever in his last few years.

Posted by: BrianKeith | Sep 8, 2010 8:49:04 PM

14. My girl's name is Senora, I tell you friends I adore her. And when she dances, oh brother, she's a hurricane in all kinds of weather.

You can talk about chacha, tango waltz or the rumba. Senora's dance has no title, you jump in the saddle hold on to the bridle.

Senora dances calypso, left to right is the tempo. And when she gets the sensation, she go up in the air come down in slow motion.

He was funny as otho in beetle juice. Too bad.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 9, 2010 2:00:35 PM

15. What a pity, until he died I didn't even know his name, but I always loved seeing him on screen. Goodbye big funny gay guy.

Posted by: Tone | Sep 12, 2010 11:07:00 AM