For Your Entertainment, Bobbie Gentry

Bobbie_Gentry-1

Well, it's about that time: the weekend hour. Before I head off until Monday - please do join me again! - I'd like to offer clips of legendary musician Bobbie Gentry singing, "Ode to Billie Joel" and "Niki Hoeky."

A friend of mine reintroduced me to Gentry earlier this week, and I felt it my duty to pass along the good word. Hopefully you'll do the same with your friends.

Let Gentry entertain you, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. She is one of my favorite 60' iconic women. Awesome music choice!!!

Posted by: aj | Sep 24, 2010 6:58:38 PM

2. What a suprise! Thank You! Some of us do enjoy the icons of of our childhood on this site every now and then!

Posted by: Ken Atkins | Sep 24, 2010 7:07:41 PM

3. Love it, but my favorite Bobbie Gentry song - by far - is "Fancy":

The outro is one of the greatest riffs in pop history.

Her hits collection Chickasaw County Child is a must-have, though it's sadly out of production:

iTunes sells a Capitol Years collection that doesn't look too bad, though.

Posted by: Jacknasty | Sep 24, 2010 7:13:23 PM

4. The Ode to Billy Joe is timely considering Dan Savage's "It Gets Better" Project.

It's subtext in the song, what the author said was really about "casual cruelty," that Bobbie Joe killed himself because he was gay. That was also later the case in the movie they made based on the song.

Posted by: Wilson | Sep 24, 2010 7:15:32 PM

5. "ode to billie joe" one of my all time favorite songs. i've always been a little obsessed with it from the oddball conversational cadences in the lyrics to the almost surreal quality of the string arrangement that creates a tension that is unlike anything else that's in a pop/country song.

Posted by: alguien | Sep 24, 2010 7:17:36 PM

6. cool pick

Posted by: neverstops | Sep 24, 2010 7:32:14 PM

7. I adore this song. It was the first song and movie I ever saw that addressed the difficulty of being gay in America.

Posted by: hephaestion | Sep 24, 2010 7:46:23 PM

8. thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you............since a lil boy i have listened to bobbie. love love her and so glad you have made her presence known to a bigger audience. she is amazing.

Posted by: sean | Sep 24, 2010 7:56:52 PM

9. Gross. Music for fatolds.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 24, 2010 7:57:29 PM

10. I've always bobbie gentry.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 24, 2010 7:59:00 PM

11. liked*

Posted by: TANK | Sep 24, 2010 7:59:18 PM

12. "Gross. Music for fatolds."

Now now, this obsession with me of yours is pretty sick...but...you can always kill yourself, crazypants.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 24, 2010 8:03:19 PM

13. Love it!
    If you're not familiar with Jill Sobule, here's one of her tributes:
    "Where Is Bobbie Gentry?"

Posted by: Roy | Sep 24, 2010 8:38:14 PM

14. Saw her live in Vegas when I was a kid. She put on a surprisingly awesome show. I stll remember her entrance, opened with "Lucy in the sky with diamonds", and guess what? she was IN THE SKY, and she was WEARING DIAMONDS!!

Corny, but she pulled it off, it WAS Vegas, after all.

Posted by: Snarky | Sep 24, 2010 9:40:51 PM

15. Actually, Bobbie Gentry who wrote the song has always stated that it was about death and how people handle it (just dinner conversation). The man who wrote the sreenplay for the movie said that since Bobbie Gentry said she never came up with a reason why Billie Joe jumped, he made one up, thus the gay storyline.

Back when the song came out though many thought the girl (the narrator) had a secret relationship with Billie Joe and got pregnant. She had some kind of an abortion or the baby was stillborn and that's what she and Billie Joe threw off the bridge. He was guilty and jumped. Another rumor was that she talked Billie Joe out of suicide and they were tossing a gun off the bridge. He later wound up jumping while she wasn't there.

Since Bobbie Gentry never made it clear this song has taken on many stories. There was even a rumor that the original writing of the song would have had more lyrics (a 7 minute song) that in those days was too long for radio format.

Who knows?

Posted by: NYSmike | Sep 24, 2010 10:44:20 PM

16. She wasn't lip-synching! You never see anything like that any more!

Posted by: Steve in DE | Sep 24, 2010 11:58:22 PM

17. LOL - Andy wrote "Ode To Billie Joel" Now THAT'S funny !

Posted by: Tre | Sep 25, 2010 2:59:21 AM

18. i've never heard that song before. i loved it. thanks!

Posted by: richard | Sep 25, 2010 3:12:16 AM

19. You must see her sing "Fancy"!

Posted by: Soupy | Sep 25, 2010 10:02:40 AM

20. She wrote and performed "Fancy" years before Reba McEntire added her dramatic spin to it.

Posted by: Bobby | Sep 25, 2010 10:34:07 AM

21. Andrew. I might be in love with you.

May I also suggest "Papa Won't You Let Me Go to Town With You."

Posted by: zac | Sep 25, 2010 11:34:34 AM

22. I love Bobbie Gentry, nice voice, stage presence. I didn't care for the movie they made from her song Ode to Billy Jo.
    But that's old homophobic fears showing up again.

Posted by: GaryJ | Sep 25, 2010 12:59:19 PM

23. Sinéad's cover of "Ode to Billie Joe" is awesome!

Posted by: Gideon S. | Sep 25, 2010 2:32:32 PM

24. Now, there's a name from the past! When I saw the topic, I thought that's who it was, and Ode to Billie Joe was my second thought. yeah.. I'm old enough to remember the song!

Posted by: Lee | Sep 26, 2010 12:02:07 PM

25. Fashion and music reached a pinnacle at this point in time. After that it's all been downhill.

Posted by: Tom Stoppard | Sep 27, 2010 12:47:56 PM