Discrimination | John Amaechi | Manchester | News

BigGayDeal.com

Former NBA Star John Amaechi Denied Entrance to Gay Bar for Being 'Big and Black and [Possibly] Trouble'

Amaechi

Gay former NBA star John Amaechi tweeted yesterday that he was denied entrance to Crunch Bar in Manchester, UK (where he lives) after the bouncer said he was "big and black and could be trouble."

Pink Paper reports: Amaechi-headshot

"When Amaechi questioned the decision, the doorman said it was a 'private members' bar.' He then allegedly claimed that the New York Times best-selling author had been flagged up as 'trouble' on the gay village's shared security radio network. A spokesperson for the bar later told Amaechi's representative: 'Your group was stopped from entering the venue on Friday night as a message was received over the NiteNet radio system, (a system where several venues work together within the village, where they announce any issues they have with any customers), that your group had been argumentative and aggressive to another venue’s doorstaff. On interview with the staff who were present at the time, we are satisfied that there were no racism or bigotry comments as you suggest. All three staff who were present on the door at the time have been with us for over 14 months and none of them have ever displayed the attitude or characteristics you suggest in your email. You have clearly misunderstood the situation and perhaps justifying your exclusion that evening. We consider this matter closed now.'"

The other bars, VIA and Taurus, which use the NiteNet system deny there was any such warning about Amaechi's behavior.

According to the paper, "Amaechi's representatives have lodged a complaint with the Equality and Human Rights Commission along with a complaint to the Manchester City Council LGBT affairs director, Terry Waller and also with the Greater Manchester Police LGBT liaison office."

Read our recent interview with John Amaechi HERE.

Comments

1. If old habits die hard, then it shouldn't be long before self-declared "totally not racist" white people rush to the aide of the discriminating instigator with bullshit excuses, misleading statistics, and lame protestations against political correctness.

Posted by: John | Sep 13, 2010 3:33:51 PM

2. Let's face it RACISM is alive and well and if your not the white minority you will in fact know this!

Posted by: wopboptorledo | Sep 13, 2010 3:49:01 PM

3. BOO!

Posted by: Hussain | Sep 13, 2010 4:15:30 PM

4. Racism, ageism, it's all there in the young twink-boy crowd. This is why I always liked the calmer, more sedate bar down the street from the McGay Danceclub of the moment. Everybody checking their social status every 30 seconds is just tedious after a few minutes. And plus the techno/hip-hop mixes? F that. Twinks suck at life, don't you know that? They'll always be wrong about everything. That's why they do what they do, it's like a straight guy being a bad boy. He does it because he can, he gets aways with being a douche and it thrills him. Simple human fail, most live and learn.

Posted by: SeriouslySick | Sep 13, 2010 4:20:47 PM

5. Raul,

Are you simply that ignorant!

Posted by: Brains | Sep 13, 2010 4:31:26 PM

6. Hey, why are you blaming the twinks and twunks for racism in the lgbt community (and it's there)? Just because you're fat and gross and older...I hate old men so much...irrational, yes...but goddamnit, I hate them and want them all to die. anyway, just because life is so short and mcnuggets so good (to you), and instead of being called a sloppy fat fuck, you're a bear (voila!), doesn't mean that twinks are responsible for the fact that attractive people aren't attracted to you, or all of the ills of the gay community...even whores...who are paid to be attracted to unattractive people...whores...

Sure, there's a lotta stupid among the twinks...because they're young, and stupid and young are forever wedded...but there's a lotta stupid in every group...and who wants someone you actually need to think to be around? Exhausting, especially when some lesser IQ turns it into a pissing contest. No gay's ever impressed me with his mind...LOL!

Posted by: TANK | Sep 13, 2010 4:34:04 PM

7. @ TANK:

I blame the media and gay culture for perpetuating a very limited standard of beauty and acceptability within the gay community which tends to only include young, skinny and white as its criteria.

Being gay in America is not some monolithic identity as it is portrayed. "Gay world" infuriates me sometimes.

Speaking about the issue at hand, I know and have experienced the racism within the gay community. I'm sorry but "You're hot for a black guy" is not a compliment! The gay community is just as racist as society at large. Its a sad fact.

Posted by: New New | Sep 13, 2010 5:10:05 PM

8. I was once TRIPLE carded at RAGE in Weho. When I complained to Weho city hall I was told it was "within the bars rights to ask for whatever ID they wanted to require." This happened after all of my white friends in our group had passed in without any ID check.

I actually was madder at then City Councilman John Heileman (I believe was his name) whom I approached on the street later and told the story to. He brushed it off and suggested I try other bars on different nights.

Whatever.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Sep 13, 2010 5:41:37 PM

9. Yeah, I agree that popular gay culture stresses white people as a criterion of beauty. It's a problem, and but I think it's changing, as there are a lot of attractive in shape younger black men who are gay, too. But popular gay culture is death culture, anyway, and isn't worth getting caught up in.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 13, 2010 6:28:37 PM

10. "I'm sorry but "You're hot for a black guy" is not a compliment! The gay community is just as racist as society at large. Its a sad fact."

Neither is "I like black guys".

Why can't white gay men who are attracted to black men (or a particular black man) just keep the racial remarks to themselves.

Posted by: elg | Sep 13, 2010 6:35:36 PM

11. Since I wasn't there will have to withold judgment as to what happened or why.
    But why wouldn't a gay club want a tall, handsome out professional jock at their club ? Okay ex-pro jock but still major hot quotient and fame to attract a crowd and keep 'em there

Posted by: jerry | Sep 13, 2010 6:52:54 PM

12. @ELG, there's a pretty big difference between "You're hot for a black guy" and "I like black guys." The first implies that Black men aren't typically hot, but that in spite of your race, you look good.

The other is more just stating preferences I think - sort of like "I like buff guys" or "I like tall guys." While I do think Black men get fetishized a bit, I'm a lot more okay with someone saying the second statement, rather than saying the first one (which is really offensive).

Posted by: Joe | Sep 13, 2010 7:09:28 PM

13. MMmm, why is he living in Manchester by choice? Cold, gray, and as it seems now, racist. The man is loaded. He should just buy the damn bar.

Posted by: Troy | Sep 13, 2010 7:20:30 PM

14. Good. Hopefully all gay bars do this.

Posted by: Chris | Sep 13, 2010 7:43:28 PM

15. @ Brains, not sure why this is a shock. Happens all the time. The funny thing is that in my travels I get more issues in major cities than in small ones.

@ Jerry, you're not incorrect. You were not there and maybe choose not to judge but how often are you at the majority of things that are posted here. I could say that about anything.

@ towleroad, I thank you. I have slammed you a lot of only showing Blacks in a bad light. Yes I agree that you report what you see but at times it seems that positive stories (No this isn't positive but it's not showing the Black guy as the racist)that are about minorities are left out. Not that John Amaechi is a big Gay icon or anything but this story shows that racism exist in the Gay community. I wish that there was a forum to discuss it.

Posted by: dpbfeb | Sep 13, 2010 7:52:00 PM

16. YET...gay white men ALWAYS want Black people...who are GLOBAL MAJORITY....to let them "align" themselves with for some ODD reason like oral sex is akin to being the ORIGINAL man on Earth...and THIS is what they think of you people!!!

Posted by: shannon | Sep 13, 2010 8:19:37 PM

17. Shannon, why aren't you defending christian bigotry and homophobia as per usual? I guess race baiting's a better fit for you.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 13, 2010 8:24:45 PM

18. Tank: Still a psycho, though not as entertaining by the minute. When did you fall so far lil' failure? Did i strike a chord? I'm in my forties, 6'1", I walk around at 210, 4% bodyfat. I'm more fit than your drugged addled ass will ever be. When I'm in Martial Arts tourneys, I drop to 185. I'd love to meet your crazy mouthy ass at one of them sometime! BTW, old guys rule, and daddy's make gay life go around. You, not so much. Go throw your parents money around and call it style, lil' boy. I'm busy. Again, twinks fail at life, as a rule. Case in point? Tank. Some live and learn, so you better get busy, Tank. ;-)

Posted by: SeriouslySick | Sep 13, 2010 8:38:54 PM

19. Hey SeriouslySick, you single and in New York? You sound like quite the catch! ;-)

Posted by: RW | Sep 13, 2010 8:56:46 PM

20. See, I'm two and half inches taller than you, and weigh about forty pounds less. Wah wah wah, fat tears. I don't go to martial arts tourneys (and you capitalized martial arts...grasshopper!) because I'm happy with the size of my penis, and don't have mommy daddy issues. As to my parent's money (where did that come from?)...well, it's all going to charity. And that's the way it should be.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 13, 2010 9:01:29 PM

21. @RW Flattered RW, but I'm partnered 7 years this Halloween. My man is mid-forties, closest age difference of anyone I've ever been with. The youngest I ever dated was in his mid thirties when I was in my early twenties. Daddy hound, all my life. I didn't even have crushes on friends in high school, only teachers and coaches, etc. Daddies are what it is about for me. Young guys are for a lot of things, Eros NOT being one of them.

Posted by: SeriouslySick | Sep 13, 2010 9:04:49 PM

22. @Tank 6'3" and 180? I can guarantee that's a flat flabby ass, skinny arms, and an already proven shitty demeanor. Wow, you bring so much to the table! lol. Damn. We see what you do with your time, so basically your saying you're a shut-in, reclusive, most likely meth-brained twinky, queeny troll who is partnered to his butt-plug? Ugh, another stank, exposed.

Posted by: SeriouslySick | Sep 13, 2010 9:20:39 PM

23. Oops, I read that as thirty pounds less than me. So, 40?? You are 6'3" 170lbs? I bet your body type is ugly as a concentration camp victim's. That's just gross. Are you one of those guys who walks like a knock-kneed giraffe and tries to pass is off as switching? Ugh, just ugh.

Posted by: SeriouslySick | Sep 13, 2010 9:25:43 PM

24. um, no..what's 210-40? 170. And I can bench 325 lbs.

This isn't a dating site, and moreso, gramps, I wouldn't give you a second glance. I may not win any beauty contests (and honestly, who cares), but I'm in better shape than you've ever been in. Additionally, this entire exchange was percipitated by your misguided effort to turn this racist incident into hatred of young guys who are doubtless more attractive than you--twink hate. Yeah, you don't have issues with age and body...whatever you say, pops.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 13, 2010 9:46:13 PM

25. la la la la la la la....
    Tank and Seriouslysick need to get a room ;)

Posted by: Gemotr | Sep 13, 2010 9:50:12 PM