New York | News

NY Man Sentenced To Four Years In Prison For 2008 Anti-Gay Attack

Joshuaholts Some good news out of Springville, New York, where Joshua Holts has been sentenced to four years in prison for the vicious 2008 beating of a 47-year old gay man, Scott Wright.

Holts was caught on film beating Wright and hurling anti-gay epithets. Though police pursued the case as a hate crime, Judge Thomas Franczyk thought otherwise: he claimed that the beating was simply motivated by "anger, rage and ignorance," according to WIVB. The judge also lambasted Holts for "beating the hell out of this guy."

For his part, Holts blamed the crime on booze: I'm really not a bad person," he said. "I had too much to drink and made some bad decisions based on that, and I am sorry for."

Judy Wright, Scott's mother, appears to understand Holts' contrition, and remarked, "It's sad when you see a young man handcuffed and taken away." Still, she does believe Holts was motivated by hate: "After eight minutes, you felt the need to return to the victim and deliver some more blows to his already damaged head. This was a crime filled with hate that thankfully was all caught on camera."

What are you thoughts, reader? Has justice been done, or does Holt deserve a stiffer punishment?

Comments

1. ONLY FOUR FUCKN YEARS???!!!!he so lucky....how dare he say anything

Posted by: sal | Sep 29, 2010 7:08:59 PM

2. Just once I'd luv to hear bout a gay victim of a bashing, blow away the basher -- like Charlie Bronson would've done years ago.

Posted by: swne | Sep 29, 2010 7:13:06 PM

3. I have to refer to the Judge's own words, "Judge Thomas Franczyk thought otherwise: he claimed that the beating was simply motivated by "anger, rage and ignorance,", now isn't that what "Homophobia" is? Stiffer sentence was due, and I would hate to be him sitting in a NYS Prison.....too cute!! Hope he smokes cigs!

Posted by: alexInBoston | Sep 29, 2010 7:15:29 PM

4. 4 years?

That comes to 2 years because of overcrowding, then good behavior maybe?

That brings it to 6-8 months.

Hate crime or not, he should have had more time.

Posted by: Kevin | Sep 29, 2010 7:23:44 PM

5. Very short sentence, he'll be back on the streets in no time. Obviously, this judge is biased because the victim is gay.

Posted by: phineas | Sep 29, 2010 7:24:33 PM

6. Let's hope he gets some "stiffer" punishment in prison. Nice and stiff.

Posted by: Abel | Sep 29, 2010 7:26:41 PM

7. he returned to continue beating the victim???

And the judge wondered if it was motivated by hate & said so??? It's like asking white people if discrimination really exists, duh!

Seriously, WTF.

If this wasn't on tape he'd have probably received no sentence at all.

Posted by: stephen | Sep 29, 2010 7:56:56 PM

8. I'm opposed to the idea of "hate crimes." How is beating someone because you don't like the group he belongs to worse than beating someone just because he is weaker than you. Decreasing hate crimes is accomplished through exposure to (immersion in) diverse groups.

I also believe we need to examine our total justice system. We imprison people for victimless crimes and slap them on the wrist for beating someone senseless but in either case is there generally any attempt at rehabilitation.

Posted by: rayrayj | Sep 29, 2010 7:57:36 PM

9. Another idiot heard from...rayray. Sick of these stupid conversations with stupid people who either don't want to get it or don't get it, or both.

Anyway, what's done is done...useless to get upset or outraged insofar as it can't be used to see that these things don't happen again.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 29, 2010 8:19:14 PM

10. And the judge is activist.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 29, 2010 8:20:03 PM

11. "anger, rage, and ignorance" are not a defence to a charge of hate. Rather, they are a description.

Posted by: Randy | Sep 29, 2010 8:21:02 PM

12. If there was a just reason for a grudge fuck this is the guy. Can you feel it, Bitch?

Posted by: Top_Ks | Sep 29, 2010 8:45:03 PM

13. he'll get a stiffer sentence all right--right between his butt-cheeks. that boy's gonna learn a lot in prison. none of it will help his perception of his crime I'm afraid.

Posted by: Danny | Sep 29, 2010 9:40:40 PM

14. I wish these stories had more detail. What occurred, if anything, inside the bar? Was the victim also drunk? Did the two exchange words and the situation turned physical?

I'M NOT SAYING the victim deserved to get the snot beat out of him and almost die, and I'm not trying to defend this Holt character who sounds like a local thug, but c'mon....fights occur inside and outside bars all the time. Generally speaking, 99% of the time these things don't happen out of the blue. Hey! You go out to a club, a bar, you're around a lot of inebriated people, there's increased tension in the air...you're kind of taking your chances a long with everyone else. It's an environment where shit happens.

And I agree, he'll be out pretty quickly with good behavior and time served.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 29, 2010 9:47:35 PM

15. Yeah, but he'll put out even quicker, RB. Bwahahaha...seriously, I understand why you don't like being gay, but do you have to not like that much?

Posted by: TANK | Sep 29, 2010 10:13:11 PM

16. T, I have zero problems with my sexuality. Z.E.R.O.

You're kinda of right though, I dislike a lot of gays, but not because of their sexuality.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 29, 2010 10:24:32 PM

17. Hey, I can't blame ya on that score. There aren't a lot of desirables out there...to hang around with as friends. That's why mosta mine are straight. Anyway, just joshin' ya.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 29, 2010 10:36:08 PM

18. That judge needs off'd the bench. There's no reason to have hate crime laws if these idiot judges can't figure out which acts merit being defined as a hate crime under the statute.

Hate Crime Definition:
    The perpetrator is beating a guy and uttering hate speech about his victim's sexual orientation or religion.

What more do you need? Seriously...

Posted by: johnny | Sep 29, 2010 11:02:05 PM

19. WHY is it always the most UGLY....uneducated...in bred..trailer trash that always wants to think people want them and "bash" people???? NOW THIS ANIMAL WILL BE RAPED IN PRISON EVERYDAY BY THE PEOPLE HE HATES! GOOD FOR HIM!

Posted by: shannon | Sep 30, 2010 12:58:32 AM

20. Oh good riddance!

Posted by: Arturo Beeche | Sep 30, 2010 1:13:19 AM

21. TANK and RATBASTARD, you two should be a couple!!
    Curious to know why you generally dislike gays? I feel the same toward many straight guys.

Posted by: nikko | Sep 30, 2010 4:15:08 AM

22. Tank...I guess you disagreed with something I said, If I'm the idiot to whom you referred. Moreover, if I am the idiot to whom you referred, please explain to me how adding disparaging remarks while beating the hell out of someone makes the beating worse. I think any aggravated assault should be punished to the maximum extent of the law whether you are motivated by hate or by psychopathy.

Posted by: rayrayj | Sep 30, 2010 4:50:18 AM

23. THe other 'phobe is sitting on the bench.

Posted by: from there | Sep 30, 2010 7:25:14 AM

24. @ NIKKO

"I feel the same toward many straight guys."

You and me both Nikko.

Posted by: Rocky | Sep 30, 2010 8:17:41 AM

25. The Judge claims the beating was motivated by “anger, rage and ignorance” but this does not meet his definition of “hate.” The criminal pleads he is really not a bad person; too much booze just broke down his normal inhibitions unleashing anger and rage? And society is to understand that this is Justice because this defendant was indiscriminate in letting his ignorance dictate his behavior; he might have directed it against anyone?

So be it. For however much time Joshua Holts serves, I hope he is given the every possible opportunity to explore his feminine side – again, and again, and again; repeatedly and with unrelenting vigor! It may not generate any empathy in him for his victim, but he’ll discover what it’s like to be one.

I can’t share the mother’s sadness at seeing this young man handcuffed and taken away. As is so often the case, he is sorry he had too much to drink and sorry that led to a bad decision, but there is no expression of remorse for the damage done, and no apology offered for it. May he discover hell on Earth and live to rue the day!

Posted by: Bad Humor Boy | Sep 30, 2010 8:38:54 AM