Poland

Polish Politician Outs Gay Man on Television

Polish
Elżbieta Radziszewska, Poland's equality minister, who recently gave an interview in which she declared her belief that Catholic schools should be allowed to terminate gay and lesbian teachers, outed the gay politician on live television last week. The man, Krzysztof Śmiszek, deputy president of the Polish Society of Anti-Discrimination Law, was appearing alongside her on a program at the time of the outing.

Reports Pink News:

The pair were arguing about her remarks on gay teachers when Ms Radziszewska used Mr Śmiszek as an example of why cases should be treated individually.

According to the Warsaw Business Journal, she said: “If, for example, Mr Śmiszek, in a situation when we know that he is a member of the homosexual society and an activist for the Campaign Against Homophobia and it's no secret who his partner is…”

Ms Radziszewska was asked by the programme's presenters whether she should be on the other side of the argument but she apparently said that was the way she saw it. She later apologised but said Mr Mr Śmiszek's sexual orientation could easily be discovered on the internet.

Mr Śmiszek has reacted furiously to her comments and intends to sue. “This is pure homophobia,” he told daily Gazeta Wyborcza on Tuesday. “In no other EU country would such a person still hold their post. I do not hide my sexual orientation, but it's my private business. My personal rights have been violated.”

Radziszewska has reportedly apologized to Śmiszek but also stands by her previously stated bigoted opinions.

You can watch the video of the duo's appearance on the aforementioned Polish broadcast, AFTER THE JUMP, but be warned that I was unable to find a clip with an english translation.

Comments

1. @Ratbastard

Germany's economy would be a lot stronger without he EU.

Mitterand put Kohl under pressure to join the the uniform currency and threatened to stall the process of reuniting West- and East Germany (the latter Germany bought back from Russia for 12 Billion Deutsch Marks).
    France thought that with one currency they could compete with Germany's much stronger economy, but their plan failed miserably, and they still whine about it.

Posted by: Max | Sep 27, 2010 8:52:03 AM

2. She shouldn't have outed him and he shouldn't be threatening to sue. European libel/defamation laws often suck and too often benefit the corrupt and the powerful from justified criticism. In this case, it's just too convenient to use them to threaten to sue.

Posted by: anon | Sep 27, 2010 9:08:33 AM

3. I still think Germany benefits tremendously from a massive 'home' market where it is the king of the hill.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 27, 2010 9:19:16 AM

4. What she did suggests to me that she was losing the debate. Not to impune all women, but there is precedence for this sort of tactic among women in general when losing an argument.

Posted by: Mike | Sep 27, 2010 9:55:46 AM

5. Good for her! When you can no longer hide yourselves, maybe you'll grow a pair.

Posted by: Jubal Harshaw | Sep 27, 2010 11:25:26 AM

6. A vicious bitch is a vicious bitch in any language.

Posted by: wimsy | Sep 27, 2010 11:40:25 AM

7. China is actually the world's top exporter; Germany fell to second last year.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 27, 2010 12:09:43 PM

8. "I think anyone would agree that 20 years later, everyone recognized that McCarthy was a hateful piece of crap."

No. To this day pundits like coulter praise him as an american hero. I bet a quick poll of the teaparty opinion on joe would wake you up. Fringes continue to respect these types of people.

"And yeah,Tank, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about since I've been writing and editing about economics in Eastern Europe and Central Asia,"

Uh huh...

"among other regions, for almost 20 years."

Riiight.

"But go ask Bolivia, Peru, Romania, and myriad other countries how shock therapy worked for them."

It clearly didn't work there. But it did in poland, and they endured hardship in the beginning--and the class system is, to this day, very skewed.

"(It rarely did, which is why Sachs atones now.)"

Sure, but his massive deregulation and privatization regime laid the foundation for a more prosperous (for a minority) poland. I don't see a rebuttal to anything I've written.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 27, 2010 2:00:45 PM

9. "Exactly. Liberalizing Polands economic throttlehold by the PITCA agreement, the underlying threat of a Schezny takeover was avoided. A sort of a bottle in a hole theory is what kept them up with standard EU regulations.
    No one has ever fought the russians on a bigger scale than this homosexual offering of a ludicrous one man show. throw away the affectations, she is here to stay. boy, am I happy."

I didn't write this, btw. My stalker did.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 27, 2010 2:04:17 PM

10. And let that be a lesson: no personal information, ever, under no circumstances-- because cranks who stalk and harass you will use whatever they can get to do it (whatever they can get, even if it's just a "name")...and you WILL have problems because there's a whole lot of big bad crazy out there (more than you realize)...an ocean of damaged goods.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 27, 2010 2:12:17 PM

11. Yeah, Tank, and you're swimming deep in that ocean of damaged goods. You cite Coulter as though hers is a majority view (even Bill Bennett has shot down McCarthy, and he's certainly more respected than the attention-seeking blonde), question my job (why in the world would I made that up?), and claim that you're being stalked.

I've defended you before, but now I see why you're so unpopular on this site: you're nuts. And you know what a rebuttal is? Pointing out that Sachs and the Washington consensus often failed when applied as a one size fits all strategy all over the world. Yes, it worked out in Poland for certain groups. But that makes it an outlier. Even Jeff admits that these days. He got paid a lot of money to wreck a lot of economies. He is unquestionably a genius, but he was wrong about many things.

Larry Summers, Joe Stiglitz, and plenty of other very bright people have made similar mistakes. Predicting economic outcomes, especially in developing countries, is not an easy task. And yes, I know a hell of a lot about it.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 27, 2010 5:12:30 PM

12. So Paul R, was English not your first language? It's like you're having a conversation with yourself--responding to points no one made, and going out of your way to repeat stuff I've already posted.

No. You don't know a lot about "this stuff". I'm not defending sachs, or any of the other neocon apparatchiks. But if you don't think that Sachs' large scale privatization and deregulation efforts contributed significantly to the current state of the polish economy, you're out of your mind....yes, virginia, the past does make an economic difference. Fuckin' hell...

And spare me this, "I've defended you in the past," bullshit. I really don't care, and am more than capable of defending myself. And nuts? Every thing I've posted here follows a linear, rational pattern...can't the same for you.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 27, 2010 5:25:17 PM

13. Hence why so many Polish gays choose to live in other western EU states.

Posted by: Anto | Sep 28, 2010 8:28:18 AM