Sit-In ENDA Protest Underway at Pennsylvania Lawmaker’s Office

Carney

Activists with GetEQUAL have begun a sit-in protest at Rep. Chris Carney's (D-PA) office in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.

Zack Ford reports:

"In addition to a day-long phone swarm (details here), a sit-in is currently underway in Rep. Carney’s Williamsport Office. The secretary in the office is an out lesbian herself and has been sympathetic with the protesters. The police will only be called when the office closes today at 4:30. In the meantime, the protesters are chanting for equality and singing 'We Shall Not Be Moved' and 'We Shall Overcome' while calls from the phone swarm continue to pour in. Rep. Carney is currently on active duty at Langley Air Force base and will likely not respond today."

Comments

1. AndrewW says

More childish behavior. None of these self-serving publicity stunts change anything – they just make us look stupid.

Carney is a CONSERVATIVE Democrat in a 78% CONSERVATIVE District. This childish STUNT is just a waste of time and energy.

We are about to get clobbered in the mid-terms and GetEQUAL is simply making that worse with these childish, counterproductive publicity stunts.

2. Kyle says

I just called his DC office and asked about it. They had no idea what was going on in the Williamsport office. The guy that answered the phone was like “ummmmm….. yeah thanks for letting us know” He had no idea about it or what I was talking about.

3. says

Rep. Carney is no friend if he consistently votes against LGBT equality. The “D” next to his name shouldn’t protect him from accountability to our community.

The action raises important awareness and sends a strong message to him whether he’s there or not. It also coincides with direct action last night and today, magnifying the message that ENDA needs passed now.

4. Clifw says

He’s not even there. And ‘awareness’ is important, but ‘awareness’ amongst who, exactly? His somewhat bemused Williamsport office manager? I’ve only seen this on gay blogs, so, preaching to the choir.

“Hahaha yeah, sure you can sit on the floor. Did you want some coffee? No? Sure, I can turn down the radio. But… uh… I have stuff to do tonight so this office is still gonna close at 4.30, right?”

5. Wimsy says

You guys keep whining about how stupid this makes “us” look, as if we’re all responsible for everything any gay rights protestor does. Here’s a clue: the fight for gay rights is not monolithic, nor centrally-directed, and not limited to some Republican-style lockstep agenda. Switch to decaf, and enjoy the genuine commitment of young people who want to promote gay rights to their congressman. More power to ’em, I say!

6. Audrey GetEQUAL Smith says

I do not drive a Jeep nor a Tacoma, I wore Tevas (not Birkenstocks) so as to not have to remove shoelaces, & I hoped to inspire some people to lose their fear and find their voice — to call or visit their senators and representative, join in a peaceful rally or protest for equality…do whatever it takes to GetEQUAL!

Carney WILL hear about our “visit”, his secretary was definitely impacted by our conversations and promised to talk to him about ENDA, and just maybe Carney will change his mind. And maybe someday some of you scoffers will get off your laptops and into the streets…

7. Audrey GetEQUAL Smith says

I never claimed to be a good organizer! I am NOT! I’m just a lezzie mom who gives a f%$#! SOMEONE needs to take a stand, and if you skilled organizers don’t, then I am compelled to!