Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Lady Gaga | Military | News

Soldiers Impacted Under 'DADT' Accompany Lady Gaga to VMAs

Gaga

I snapped this screenshot a few minutes ago, as Lady Gaga appeared on the VMAs white carpet with the  Mike Almy, former U.S. Air Force Major discharged under the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy; Stacy Vasquez, former U.S. Army Sgt. First Class discharged under DADT; Katie Miller, a top West Point cadet who resigned in August in protest to DADT; and David Hall, former U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. discharged under DADT.

Said  Aubrey Sarvis, Army veteran and executive director of Servicemembers Legal Defense Network about the appearance:

"Lady Gaga’s recognition of these fine patriots casts a spotlight on the unjust burden that ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ imposes upon the brave men and women who defend our country every day, and further underscores why the Senate must swiftly act to get rid of this despicable law for good. With expected votes on the Senate floor later this month, advocates of open service still have time to contact both their senators and urge them to show support for all our veterans by voting to end DADT."

Lady Gaga tweeted: "Silks, fabrics, shoes + jewels, fashion dreams + breaking rules. Real heroes on my arm, tonight, is for us monsters, and our fight. X"

Upon accepting the award for Best Female Video for "Bad Romance", Gaga again drew attention to DADT, thanking the "discharged soldiers" (below) who came with her, adding, "And thank you to all the gays for remaking this video over and over again."

Watch clips, AFTER THE JUMP...

Soldiers

Comments

1. I would recommend nobody stand too close to Samore. A house is gonna land on her head any day now.

Posted by: Jacknasty | Sep 13, 2010 1:44:55 AM

2. I'm really starting to like this young lady. She's sorta Madonna 2.0. And I mean that as a compliment to both ladies.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Sep 13, 2010 2:14:09 AM

3. Madonna was never as big of an icon is GaGa is. Madonna never filled up arenas on her first or second tour and she never had as many hits as GaGa.

Posted by: Joseph | Sep 13, 2010 2:32:31 AM

4. Joseph.. Im not going to defend the old hag, but fame these days is a lot more instant now than it was 30 years ago. The real test will be if gaga is around in 30 years time. These days artists have downloads, marketing and instant record company millions to go on tour, back then they had none of that. There is no way to know how big gaga would have been in the 80s because she wouldnt, and couldnt have existed in the way she does today and it was a completely different market.

Even with the higher population, downlosds and marketing gsgas albums(The Fame and The Fame Monster count as 2 )have sold less than Madges first 2.

I dont like Gaga, i simply dont like the music or the contrived unoriginal image, but if she is helping us ill take it. Sure she probably isnt doing us an favours with the older generation, but getting acceptance with the kids is going to help a lot in years to come.

Posted by: Rovex | Sep 13, 2010 3:07:08 AM

5. http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/public/magazine/article389697.ece

for those of you who happen to use their brains..

Posted by: Josh Allwine | Sep 13, 2010 4:16:20 AM

6. @Robert You took the words right out of my mouth.

Posted by: Mike_In_Philly | Sep 13, 2010 6:14:48 AM

7. of course we have the bitter old bitches reliving their "glory days" and crossing their arms in temper tantrums. "What about Cyndi and Madonna? humph!!"

Posted by: beegee | Sep 13, 2010 7:26:40 AM

8. I am not a fan but I don't hate her and I think about it this way, she has the ability to reach MILLIONS of people with her message of support. Publicity stunt or not, she is doing much more than Obama has (who has never even met with the Gay press since he has gotten elected and defends in the most despicable of ways DOMA). Think of all the fans she's reached in places where homophobia plays a huge part in their lives. Like it or not, media personalities tend to have a big influence on people in the US. The majority of people don't even vote but know every word to Gaga's songs and follow everything she does. If their favorite star can bring us a reprieve from the gay hate, who am I to judge?

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Sep 13, 2010 7:36:52 AM

9. Just what we need,

using gays for her cheap publicity whoring.

Posted by: Matt | Sep 13, 2010 8:43:29 AM

10. Miss Joseph,

You must be 21 or something to have said some shit like that. Madonna's First Major tour was her "Material Girl" tour which was a sellout. Why don't you Google and see the trends she has done and has been copied through the YEARS! and her tours overseas are STADIUM SELLOUTS.....I love GaGa but she will NOT sellout multiple nights at Wembly Stadium as Madonna has done many times!

No shade girl....Get real no one is denying that this is the time for GaGa. But you need to STFU for real because you don't now what you're speaking of!

Ok Madame POKERFACE!

Posted by: chris | Sep 13, 2010 8:52:17 AM

11. Well Miss BeeGee first and foremost your name is VINTAGE as you sound. And secondly...You better hope and pray your young cocksucking ass can make it to be OLD!

Young precum dumb motherfucker you!

Posted by: BRUTUS | Sep 13, 2010 8:54:52 AM

12. I like Lady Gaga but that meat dress was disgusting. I'm not opposing it in some moral sense or anything, just looked nasty. Like I felt bad for the people sitting near her.

Posted by: Wes | Sep 13, 2010 9:33:03 AM

13. SAMORE please do the world a favor and take a double shot of DRANO.

I understand how miserable, you life is and it would do your soul such a favor if you just crawl back to your slimy hole and nasty away.
    i do feel pity for you, but that about it.
    if you need help, dont call me I would just piss on you.

Posted by: Austin Rozzell | Sep 13, 2010 9:47:55 AM

14. Lady GA GA
    Thank you. for all you do.

Please except my apologies, I admit I can get upset, but i promise in the future, I wont hunt down the nasty people and fill them with expanding foam though there rectum.
    but I do fall off the that wagon every now and then.
    Now remember only a crazy person would post something like that. (And so starts my insanity defense)

Posted by: Austin Rozzell | Sep 13, 2010 9:56:36 AM

15. People who call Lady Gaga "Caca" = People who call Obama "Osama". Buffoons with no wit or imagination.

Posted by: virtualdespot | Sep 13, 2010 11:06:44 AM

16. THE FIRST ONE IS GONE BECAUSE OF VIACOM! DAMN YOU VIACOM!!!!!! DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: JonBenet | Sep 13, 2010 11:12:51 AM

17. why is there still talk about dadt. Its been overturned since like oct of last year. Of course this would be an mtv post

Posted by: kelly | Sep 13, 2010 2:08:55 PM

18. Lady Gaga as a spokesperson for repeal of DADT? I'm so sure General Gates is going to take what she says seriously! It's bewildering, how some Gay people have no political savvy whatsoever; these naive soldiers allowed themselves to be used by Lady Gaga for publicity purposes, and they look ridiculous posing for photographs with her. It's undignified, and it won't do their cause any good. As for Aubrey Sarvis, he's a craven media whore who never misses a chance to posit himself as a Gay Rights spokesperson . . . no matter how absurd the venue!

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Sep 13, 2010 2:09:59 PM

19. And the real difference that people like you never understand, DE, is that "gaga" has no power...none. NO POWER! Barry does.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 13, 2010 2:15:01 PM

20. oh, shut the fuck up "Brutus" - do the world a favor and leave it. You're a sad excuse for a person and have no dignity or self-respect. You're not wanted and you're not loved. Go feed your 10 pet cats, turn on your Madonna record, watch your Golden Girls, drink a glass of wine in your empty apartment, and keep your self-hatred to yourself. You're irrelevant and failed.

Posted by: beegee | Sep 13, 2010 11:19:46 PM