New York | News | Sports | Tennis

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Brawl Breaks Out in Stands at Djokovic U.S. Open Match

Open

Here's something you don't see very often — a brawl breaking out during a tennis match.

The NYT reports:

"Up there, in fact, was a male fan – whether he was Serbian the authorities did not say — who was cursing and acting obnoxiously, according to the police. Two spectators who were sitting nearby, a woman in her 40s and her septuagenarian father, confronted the man, who apparently did not appreciate their feedback, the police said. Shortly thereafter, the man confronted the woman, and she slapped him in the face. But the man was apparently undeterred; he then sat down next to the woman and continued to curse at her, which prompted the woman’s father to grab him, the police said. The two men fell over two rows of seats as they tussled, and the entire thing was captured on video by another spectator."

Watch the clips (first one includes the slap), AFTER THE JUMP...

Open2

Comments

1. ECHOVIC

I slso think there is racism in the implication that the young man is Serbian (he is clearly American, and whether or not he has Serbian ancestry is completely irrelevant.) The commenters who label him a "guido" are no better.

This is New York, fellas. This is how we roll. We argue, we gesticulate, we get in each others faces. If you've never been here and don't like it, don't come.

Posted by: Christopher | Sep 3, 2010 11:56:53 AM

2. I would have to say that while the young guy was rude, the women made the first physical contact. After that the young guy tried to just end it, but the women would not, and then when he sat down it was the old guy that attack. If anyone was thrown out it should have been the old guy and and his daughter, they were the ones that made the first physical contacts.

Posted by: Dan | Sep 3, 2010 12:04:01 PM

3. The couple should have been removed from the game. She threw the first punch (slap) and the younger guy had every right to nail her ass to the ground as well as the older guy who charged in. I'm ticked at the idiots around the group who jumped the younger guy. Despite his "body language" he had every right to defend himself verbally. She had NO right to slap the guy and had that been me, I would have punched her lights out then and there.

Anyone who thinks the older couple is in the right are stupid and foolish. NO ONE has the right to lay a hand on another person, much less slap them no matter what is being said verbally.

Posted by: os2guy | Sep 3, 2010 12:07:15 PM

4. amen christopher

Posted by: echovic | Sep 3, 2010 12:09:30 PM

5. Echovic, et al...Andy could have served the post better, had he included more from the original article.

from the NYTimes (Djokovic's statement makes all the difference.)

“It was far away from the court; we couldn’t really see what was going on,” Djokovic said. “I hope it was no Serbian up there.”

Posted by: Jeff | Sep 3, 2010 12:20:46 PM

6. Christopher,

How do you know that the woman and older man are from New York? People travel from all over the US and world to see the US Open.

Also, I could care less about his race. I called him a guido cuz he's kinda hot and I have a guilty pleasure enjoying guidos lol.

And I do not like New York... cuz ya'll argue, ya'll gesticulate, and ya'll get in each others' faces for stupid reasons. Don't worry, I won't come.

Posted by: Nat | Sep 3, 2010 12:27:29 PM

7. NAT

I never imagined those fat tourists to be from New York. The young guy clearly is, and I was referring to him.

Posted by: Christopher | Sep 3, 2010 1:04:38 PM

8. The Serbs are a race of inbred trash.

Posted by: mike nyc | Sep 3, 2010 1:17:17 PM

9. They should lock them all in a house for 3 months, film it and make it into a reality show.

Posted by: David | Sep 3, 2010 1:17:54 PM

10. Wow, when did tennis become WWWF?

Posted by: Cory | Sep 3, 2010 1:23:25 PM

11. Couldn't they just taser him? It seems like that is the norm now.

Posted by: Scott | Sep 3, 2010 1:28:56 PM

12. Serbian is not a race...racism is not in effect here...prejudice is...

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Sep 3, 2010 1:34:13 PM

13. Yeap. Some of you are right. Violence is violence and never ever has to be in place. That being said, there is a huge generational gap that make some young fellows misunderstand what was considered appropriate in other times, when a slap in the face for a rude behavior from a jerk was all but due. You only have to watch some white and black movie to check it out if you have historical curiosity. Old fellows grew in that logic. And furthermore, and the old guy trying to kick the jerk ass was also was considered due, even if in disadvantage. On those times cursing and insulting could be as hurtful as physical violence. Yet another difference is that on those times people could ad honorem act as impromptu police when the judged that something was very out of place, a very small town mentality if you wish.
    Personally I think that the oldies should learn it better, but the jerk should be banned from public places until he learns how to behave. You are not alone in front of your tv in your living room fellow. Yet again, nothing justifies getting physical.

Posted by: Lexxvsl | Sep 3, 2010 1:42:44 PM

14. So how did it end?

...and yeah, I don't know what it is, but the young guy was kind of hot. It's that "Wat ya lookin' at?" Brooklyn act, he can curse at me and tell me to get on my knees any day. lol

Posted by: Cory | Sep 3, 2010 1:57:08 PM

15. I find the differences in generational culture and local culture very interesting in this case. I agree that, for an older generation, a slap in the face from a lady is something a gentleman accepted stoically, and a male relative was duty-bound to physically defend a lady's honor that was being insulted by a lout. I'm NOT saying this is appropriate in modern times, or even in past times. Just that it was a cultural norm - and still might be among some people.

From what I recall of living in New York for too many years, boisterous talk, wild gesticulation and in-your-face argument were cultural norms for many people, as was settling scores yourself without getting any authorities involved.

Fun to see it all play out on camera.

Posted by: Zlick | Sep 3, 2010 2:06:44 PM

16. I agree with the bulk of the posters here that the woman and father escalated a dumb situation to violence. The guy has a good case against them regardless of what was said.

My one disagreement is that it didn't look like the crowd "jumped" the younger guy. I didn't see any punches thrown, it just looked like they pulled them apart and restrained him from retaliating against someone who had attacked him. And he was making any moves to retaliate. The father deserved what he got for attacking the guy (no matter how obnoxious he was). His age doesn't excuse his behavior.

Posted by: HawaiiBill | Sep 3, 2010 2:29:37 PM

17. Can we please talk about the bigger tragedy of the US Open? Nadal wearing all black this tournament obscuring the view of those beautiful buns!

Posted by: moon_river | Sep 3, 2010 2:38:19 PM

18. I blame The Gays.

See how Gay Marriage has turned these otherwise lovely heterosexuals against each other?

Posted by: MarkDC | Sep 3, 2010 3:47:33 PM

19. The crowd should've gotten a slap in the face for their laughing and mocking at such a hostile situation instead of helping to resolve the conflict. Disgusting.

Posted by: nikko | Sep 3, 2010 3:51:06 PM

20. I just think that Tennis is a very violent sport where hundreds of people, probably Serbians, die every year from just watching...it's sad, someone needs to have a telethon about this. Stop the Tennis!!

Posted by: john | Sep 3, 2010 3:54:06 PM

21. "Of course when there is a fight between a person with a penis and one with a vagina the person with the penis will always be the one arrested regardless of any facts" - What the hell are you talking about, all three of them were arrested for the brawl. You know women read this blog as well. Yes, what the old man and woman did was wrong, in the legal sense, but I'm glad they tried to kick his ass lol. From experience in having to deal with abrasive asshole customers working at a movie theater I can tell that that young guy deserved to be slapped. I'm sure the arguement started over something stupid and I'm SURE that the young jerk took it the wrong way, right way and got into a completely defensive attitude. You can not resolve a problem with a person if they have that attitude right from the start.

Also I'm sure the jerk probably said something sexist/sexual towards the woman, evoking the slap as a response. Woman don't slap men for no good reason. And after all the times I was working and some asshole told me to suck his dick,or called me a bitch/cunt/whore just because I happened to be 'making his life hard for him' I applauded the woman and the old man. Bravo for them.

Some people just need to get their asses kicked because the only way to get through to them is through violence, because that's the only thing they understand.

Posted by: Miel | Sep 3, 2010 4:19:35 PM

22. He is HOT

Posted by: Cricket | Sep 3, 2010 4:20:48 PM

23. He's a douche, but he didn't resort to physical violence. They're lucky they messed with a punk...someone else, and they woulda been found dead in their car later on.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 3, 2010 4:27:01 PM

24. The NY Times obviously isn't being objective here. They said:

"Two spectators who were sitting nearby, a woman in her 40s and her septuagenarian father, confronted the man, who apparently did not appreciate their feedback, the police said."

They slant the story to sympathize with the older couple when they call physical assault "feedback".

I hope the guy (obviously a New Yorker if you listen to him) sues and teaches that couple a listen. Or gives them a little "feedback" of his own. Like others have said, there is no place for violence in society. Anyone who submits or resorts to it is apparently limited by their stupidity.

And, oh yeah, he's definitely hot.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Sep 3, 2010 4:44:28 PM

25. Stop sticking up for this dick. I hate douchebags who sit at games and get drunk and curse and yell like everyone wants to hear what they think. They're the most obnoxious thing ever

Posted by: kflo | Sep 3, 2010 6:57:38 PM