Bullying | Dan Savage | News

Watch: Dan Savage Launches Anti-Bullying YouTube Project

Savage

"It gets better."

That's the message Dan Savage wants to send to LGBT and questioning youth in America who are being bullied, with the launch of a YouTube channel to which he hopes people will contribute.

Writes Dan:

I’ve launched a channel on YouTube—www.youtube.com/itgetsbetterproject—to host these videos. My normally camera-shy husband and I already posted one. We both went to Christian schools and we were both bullied—he had it a lot worse than I did—and we are living proof that it gets better. We don’t dwell too much on the past. Instead, we talk mostly about all the meaningful things in our lives now—our families, our friends (gay and straight), the places we’ve gone and things we’ve experienced—that we would’ve missed out on if we’d killed ourselves then.

“You gotta give ’em hope,” Harvey Milk said.

Today we have the power to give these kids hope. We have the tools to reach out to them and tell our stories and let them know that it gets better. Online support groups are great, GLSEN does amazing work, the Trevor Project is invaluable. But many LGBT youth can’t picture what their lives might be like as openly gay adults. They can’t imagine a future for themselves. So let’s show them what our lives are like, let’s show them what the future may hold in store for them.

Watch Dan and Terry's video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Instructions for submitting your own video are here.

Comments

1. Let me explain to all of those incapable of reading and comprehending! I did not say I hated Dan Savage because of his stance against prop 8, which I also was against. I despise him for the bitter, hateful column he wrote in response to it's passing!! It was ludicrous and pathetic, if you haven't read it please search it out online and get a good gander at it! I suppose, he was emotional in the immediate aftermath and wrote viscerally, but he never apologized or explained the hatefulness of that column, therefore I will never forgive him until he does. Also his sex column sucks!!

Posted by: Kayla | Sep 21, 2010 8:42:33 PM

2. People,

Kayla and Jimbo are trolls, and trolls tend to shit were they eat and sleep. It generally makes a mess. So here's an idea:

Don't feed the trolls!

Just ignore and they eventually go away.

Kudos to Dan and his partner. Very well done, I've already posted on my high school aged relative's facebook pages, knowing they will post on their friends pages. Why? Becuase they all love and read Dan Savage voraciously.

Posted by: Trouble | Sep 21, 2010 8:44:07 PM

3. Over the two hours it's taken for this epic bitchfest to take place, a whole host of LGBT teenagers have seriously contemplated taking their own lives, or perhaps even attempted suicide.

Instead of bitching about Dan Savage — a man who couldn't care less about your snarky comments on Towleroad — you could be using your time to volunteer for a gay youth phoneline.

Get some perspective. Or, at the very least, get a grip.

Posted by: Benjamin | Sep 21, 2010 8:50:44 PM

4. I'm not a troll, and why would anyone shit where they eat and sleep?? that makes absolutely no sense, but I do have to go away now, because I'm going out. Dan Savage is a completely disgusting, sickly looking human being! Au revoir!

Posted by: Kayla | Sep 21, 2010 8:53:46 PM

5. "I'm not a troll, and why would anyone shit where they eat and sleep?? that makes absolutely no sense, but I do have to go away now, because I'm going out. Dan Savage is a completely disgusting, sickly looking human being! Au revoir!"

Posted by: Kayla | Sep 21, 2010 8:53:46 PM
    ___________________________________________

Thank God, it finally went back to the caves to rub it's 'preciousssss' ring.

But coming back to relevant human beings, I'm grateful for Dan and his husband for doing this! Every little bit helps.
    Cheers.

Posted by: Ryan | Sep 21, 2010 9:14:32 PM

6. "When you are going through hell, keep going," said somebody famous (???). Great and timely message, Dan & Terry, when all we hear is how many gay teen suicides this week or that week.

Re: such negativity here.... Arghhhhh :(

Posted by: castaway | Sep 21, 2010 9:20:16 PM

7. Good for these old queens! Anyone who wants to stave the ceaseless flow of antigay harassment in HS is doing right by law.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 21, 2010 9:28:35 PM

8. Love the message. Hate the smug, racist queen behind the message.

And for all of you who are defending Savage, riddle me this: if Isaiah Washington had done this, would you be all supportive and defensive? Hell no. At best you would begrudgingly give him a nod while ripping him to shreds in the same breath. So spare me the self-righteous "bitter queen" speech. This asshole race-baited during Prop-8 and has yet to apologize for it, just as Kayla said. But I guess when you're skinny, white and rich, all is forgiven. Typical.

Posted by: Q | Sep 21, 2010 9:29:56 PM

9. Oh yeah, savage is a racist...and hates women...and yadda yadda...do you fuckin' moonbats ever tire of hearing the echo of your own complaints? Yawn.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 21, 2010 9:32:34 PM

10. Oh shit...I should qualify this stuff...I'm not defending savage, yall! I would never do that, as I don't find him all that bright...but I sure as hell don't think he's the triple k threat that many of you would otherwise have us believe.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 21, 2010 9:34:58 PM

11. "do you fuckin' moonbats ever tire of hearing the echo of your own complaints?

OMG, tell me Tank did not just make the most ironic comment of the year! hahahaha!

Posted by: Q | Sep 21, 2010 9:36:36 PM

12. DAYUM, Savage's husband is HOT!!!

Posted by: peterparker | Sep 21, 2010 9:38:44 PM

13. lol I don't find him smug at all. His job is an ADVISE COLUMNIST. So if he didn't sound absolute or certain in his opinions he wouldn't have that job very long. All I see is a happy confident guy who wants to help people and voice his opinion. Listen if you want to listen, don't if you don't. I'm hoping to find the love he and his partner have. They're a real team.

Posted by: Tony | Sep 21, 2010 9:43:15 PM

14. Yeah...because I'm a moonbat, right? If, by pushing a button, I could kill all of the moonbats and wingnuts, and everything else remain the same, how would you bet as to my choice?

Posted by: TANK | Sep 21, 2010 9:44:59 PM

15. Kayla & James Marigold:
    I'm not a big Dan Savage either . . . but the IDEA of this youtube channel is brilliant . . . and the common threads between their HS bullying experiences and mine made me cry. If the HS me had been able to see this video, I would have been ecstatic.
    So, seriously, and with all due respect: GO FUCK YOURSELVES!!!

Posted by: David | Sep 21, 2010 9:53:11 PM

16. PS: Jimbo & Q, please go fuck yourselves, too. Thanks!

Posted by: David | Sep 21, 2010 9:56:26 PM

17. I can see how some people think Dan is smug and overexposed. But how is he a "disgusting human being"? Ive read his column weekly for well over a decade, and even if I don't agree with his advice in a given week, I can respect his overall approach--which is respectful, sex-positive and user-friendly. And he's well-spoken on LGBT issues when I see him on CNN. All talking heads are a little in love with themselves. But I'm genuinely confused where the absolute hatred is coming from? Please elaborate.

Posted by: dizzy spins | Sep 21, 2010 10:04:06 PM

18. it gets better if you are believably attractive after a makeover and can put up with weight training

Posted by: anonymous | Sep 21, 2010 10:26:33 PM

19. David, I am truly sorry that you were bullied and that this brought back bad memories for you. IF you read my comment, you would have seen that I said that I LOVE the message (I was bullied too), but hate the MESSENGER. He does not get a pass on his racist remarks simply because he did a good deed and you had a good cry. Have you ever stopped to think of the damage he has done to the gay "community" by writing his ugly words? People believed his lies even after they were proven to be falsehoods. And he still offers no apology to this day? Well fuck him. And you.

Posted by: Q | Sep 21, 2010 10:26:44 PM

20. Well this video is simply wonderful and you people who've been throwing shade on it are simply SHIT.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Sep 21, 2010 10:29:58 PM

21. I look forward to Kayla's video submission wherein she explains that, not only does it get better as you get older, but you even have the freedom to develop irrational hatreds.

Posted by: BobN | Sep 21, 2010 10:36:03 PM

22. Well, that aspect sure gets better with age...sure does!

Posted by: TANK | Sep 21, 2010 10:47:54 PM

23. I LOVE Dan!

Posted by: drake onian | Sep 21, 2010 11:16:34 PM

24. I'll admit that I hadn't even watched this video when I first posted (damn work), but anyone who criticizes it after watching is a jerk. Yes, they may seem smug. But did it ever occur to you that giving hope to potentially suicidal kids---talking about travel, acceptance, evading your assface peers, etc.---isn't a bad thing?

Not to mention, not everyone is hyper-intelligent. Perhaps they kept it a bit simple on purpose, given the intended audience. Depressed 15 year olds in rural areas need simple messages.

Posted by: Paul R | Sep 21, 2010 11:17:42 PM

25. hi y'all! here is my vid, i hope u like it.

bye!