Chris Matthews | Gay Marriage | Human Rights Campaign | Joe Solmonese | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Hardball on Republican Support for Gay Marriage

Matthews

HRC's Joe Solmonese and R Clarke Cooper of the Log Cabin Republicans discuss the Prop 8 case and growing Republican support for gay marriage.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. you can smell that repug whore, LINCOLN LOUNGER, from a mile away. douche every now and again, pardner. repuglicanism can be toxic. you might soon die of sepsis, otherwise.

Posted by: nic | Sep 2, 2010 6:05:58 AM

2. Obama is against gay marriage and so is Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi.

If the Republicans stop being actively seeking to revoke existing rights and mute their anti gay rhetoric, then there is no difference between them and Democrats on the federal level.

I don't consider Obama's insulting DADT survey strategy any better than the Republican's DADT attitude.

The Republicans play it exactly right. Be a tad less anti gay in an environment where Democrats betrayed and disappointed LGBTs. Takes the "where else do you have to go?" scare out of the equation.

Posted by: galore | Sep 2, 2010 9:20:11 AM

3. Wow, this completely manufactured idea that conservatives are suddenly becoming pro-marriage-equality is really making the rounds.

As others have said, look at who among the Republicans are on our side. None of them are in office, or even running for office. (Except 1 or 2 NE candidates who've always been moderate.) This sudden "groundswell" of support is coming from recently uncloseted gay people looking for a new gig, Republicans with gay relatives (Steve Schmidt), young Republicans who know it's uncool to be anti-gay (Meghan McCain), and the LCR. None of this means diddly-squat to the Tea-Party Religious-Wingnut Anti-Gay Repub majority running for office and voting in elections.

But, if people keep talking about this, maybe the Dem's as a whole and more than 6 Repub's will buy the current propaganda and fall all over themselves to make our equality a reality. In the meanwhile, pay attention to each candidate's real views not some LCR/Mehlman/Schmidt fantasy of them.

Posted by: Ernie | Sep 2, 2010 9:35:01 AM

4. Now the Republicans are attacking Tea Bagger Christine O'Donnell.

Republicans are terrified that the Tea Party THEY HELPED CREATE AND PROMOTE has now become it's biggest threat.

While some may see little difference between Democrats and Republicans there is a huge difference between Democrats and Tea Partiers. In that scenario the Republicans become irrelevant.

They're trying to stay relevant. Support of Gay Rights is nothing but calculated strategy.

Posted by: MarkDC | Sep 2, 2010 9:47:53 AM

5. ...not to mention the gay criminalization planks in the GOP Platforms in Texas and Montana.
    Yeah, this is going to be the next wave....

Posted by: D Gregory smith | Sep 2, 2010 9:55:44 AM

6. The party of NO has suddenly decided to support marriage equity? Not likely. Yes, a few Republicans are supporting gay related issues but they are far outnumbered by the remainder of the party who are not supportive. Already the religious right as busy denouncing Ken Mehlman and accusing him of tying to highjack THEIR party. When they change the platform and field a national level candidate who is willing to stand up and support equality for gay people I "might" believe they really want to change and become a big tent.

Posted by: ThomT | Sep 2, 2010 11:19:14 AM

7. I was, for 15 years, a Democrat only voter b/c of the gay issue. I am now primarily a Republican voter as I agree with 80-90% of the Republican agenda. I have absolutely nothing in common with the Bolshevik(Progressive) movement. I like my guns,my right to hunt, my right to fish, my right to burn lots of gas in my boat, my belief that this is a Christian nation and I want Government out of my pants and my wallet. The Republicans have made greater strides to remove their negative aspects than the Socialist Party of America(Democrats). I personally have never been discriminated against in my Southern family; by any member; or by anyone at work. So, I realized that I was fighting a non-existent Bogey man and followed my true beliefs with the knowledge that the Gay issue would eventually become a non-issue.

Posted by: Jason | Sep 2, 2010 11:20:51 AM

8. Careful, Jason. You have to march lockstep over the cliff here or you get called a "repug whore" like me.

One question. Where has a Democrat president and huge, veto-proof Democrat majorities in Congress gotten us?

Not all Democrats are right on gay issues, and not all Republicans are wrong. The more the gay community is a Hallelujah Chorus for the Democrats, the more we are taken for granted.

November's a-comin', Nic.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Sep 2, 2010 11:26:59 AM

9. Yah, jason, because antigay discrimination is make believe, right? Christ, you're a moron...an absolutely moron. Vanish, degenerate, and take LL with ya.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 2, 2010 12:47:47 PM

10. "The more the gay community is a Hallelujah Chorus for the Democrats, the more we are taken for granted."

Pointing out that nearly every Republican who holds public office is anti-gay isn't saying anything about the Democrats; it simply reflects reality that this alleged conservative movement towards marriage equality denies. Name the conservatives actually in or running for office who will be Yes votes on our issues . . . long list, eh? The few that are deserve kudos. But they're a rare orchid in a field of Repub homophobes.

I am a Hallelujah chorus for the Dem's who represent me. They are Yes votes on all gay issues, Yes votes on Supreme Court justices I want, and, at the state level, got marriage equality past our bigoted Republican governor's veto.

Posted by: Ernie | Sep 2, 2010 1:00:02 PM

11. Tank,

Rather than call me a moron. Please explain how I am a moron. I bet my knowledge of history, politics and our great Republic exceeds yours on a grand scale. I have been called many things; ass****, prick etc but any one who knows me would never accuse me of being a moron.

Thank you for participating.

Posted by: Jason | Sep 2, 2010 1:05:09 PM

12. The GOP is a fraud. There are only two kinds of Republicans, those with real wealth and power and those that think that if they work hard enough, invest their money and hate the right people that they too can have real wealth and power. Those that actually control the GOP want nothing to do with the later, but they will gladly take their vote, while shipping all of our job overseas to increase their bottom line. Now that the former has achieved their victory of the SCOTUS ruling in Citizens United they don’t need any money from the peasants in the rank and file GOP. They are sufficiently scared however, now that they realize that their grip on power is no longer assured as we don’t appear to be as scared as we used to be of their stories of the boogie man and demographically they know they cannot win clean elections, they just don’t have the numbers. While they do own the corporations including those that produce the electronic voting machines as well as the ever corporately concentrated media, it’s hard to steal an election that before election day looks like a landslide. That said they are masters as sowing the seeds of obfuscation and confusion, “forget what we have said and done, don’t judge us by our deeds, were really with you on this..” The more they can make it seem that the public is split on issues, the easier it is for them to steal elections. The GOP is a sick group of scared old men and their sycophant slaves that would have you believe that the government is not We The People, US you and me, they want you to feel that the government is out of YOUR control and not directly reportable to YOU. If you believe it, it is theirs and in the hands of their multi-national corporate masters who have been stealing our country out from under us as we fight for the crumbs. Gay brothers and sisters we must continue to stand together and fight for what is right. If Lincoln were alive today, he would be a Progressive. Don’t buy for a second the lies of the GOP, they build cages, the Democratic Party makes keys.

Posted by: Dave | Sep 2, 2010 1:38:43 PM

13. Well, if you believe that this is a christian nation (and are ignorant, then, of this nation's history, and specifically, the faith--or lack thereof--of the founding fathers who were deists, agnostics, and atheists...these were largely educated men--patrick henry being an exception, but you can have him...-- who would laugh at what passes for the religious right today--laugh at the idiocy promoted as "truth". They were sharply opposed to dominionism), how can you hold that dominionist view and expect the government to not regulate what you do behind closed doors? That doesn't add up. Now, I'm not saying that you can't jump through a hoop, juggle puppies, and otherwise tap dance your way around the truth to justify your bizarre and warped interpretation of reality (entirely ad hoc, I'd like to add)...I'm saying I won't bother reading your pretzel logic to justify your sham understanding of the constitution and "christian faith".

Further, you seem to imply that because you have never experienced homophobia on either an institutional or interpersonal level, that it doesn't exist, and that lgbt people are actively discriminated against everyday in this country simply because of their sexual orientation or gender identity. Have you ever had the butt of a rifle crack your skull in six places? No? Well, I guess you don't believe it could, then...HOLD STILL! that's how stupid it sounds. So your EVIDENCE for being a republican doesn't square with your choice to vote republican. it's a series of invalid arguments, and patently false claims.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 2, 2010 1:59:06 PM

14. Jason: Who is paying you to be such an idiot?

Posted by: Modern Meet | Sep 2, 2010 2:10:59 PM

15. The GOP is actively engaging is a disinformation campaign focusing on the gay community this election cycle and I would not doubt if there are paid posters to this an other blogs. And Tank, today we are in complete agreement, God bless!

Posted by: Dave | Sep 2, 2010 2:30:08 PM