New York | News | weather

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Intense Videos from the Brooklyn 'Tornado"

Brooklymn

Those of you in NYC know what an incredible storm passed through here this evening.

Check out this video from a surveillance camera in Brooklyn, which was hit the hardest.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Gothamist and the NYT both have good reports on the storm, with photos. Blabbeando has some shots of tree destruction.

Here's another of the storm, as it approached Brooklyn.

Pt. 2

Comments

1. I love to go out and watch tornados here in Kansas. That doesn't look at all like a tornado in the Brooklyn video. It's just a wall of rain sweeping through.

There might have been one somewhere in Brooklyn, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't it.

Still, a pretty cool storm.

Posted by: Miche Rutledge | Sep 16, 2010 9:05:34 PM

2. "Intense"? God, New Yorkers are pussies when it comes to weather!

Posted by: Kyle | Sep 16, 2010 9:07:25 PM

3. What bad storm ? I've seen Indiana rain showers worse than that ! Love to watch a good storm from a sheltered front porch.

Posted by: Gangloff | Sep 16, 2010 9:18:43 PM

4. I've seen real tornadoes before in the midwest. This was a real(ly) small tornado. I was in it. Trust me.

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Sep 16, 2010 9:21:43 PM

5. That probably would send Minnesotans to their basements, but we're use to them. That actually looked like a straight line wind storm in the first video, but the second one, well maybe.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Sep 16, 2010 9:37:12 PM

6. The reports of it sound more like a microburst than a tornado. There didn't seem to be any rotation in the clouds in the video. Of course, the video doesn't show the entire storm.

I'm looking forward to reading what the final judgment of the weather service is. They are really picky on what qualifies as a tornado in the Midwest.

Posted by: Miche Rutledge | Sep 16, 2010 9:43:07 PM

7. I expect tornadoes in the Midwest, but in Brooklyn? Even a mini one? Locally freakish weather, not constantly but increasingly, is one of the signs of climate change. Look at the firestorms in Russia, the floods in China and Pakistan, even the walruses that have migrated off the ice floes to dry land--all news from the last few weeks. And the global warming doubters and the lunatic teabaggers are about to retake Congress.

Posted by: Aidan MT4 | Sep 16, 2010 9:52:16 PM

8. Pussies. My dog wouldn't even wake up for something that small.

Posted by: ChicagoRick | Sep 16, 2010 10:17:15 PM

9. That was a Texas style storm. Global warming is here.

Posted by: sam | Sep 16, 2010 10:42:13 PM

10. haha, that's nothing.

Posted by: beegee | Sep 16, 2010 11:07:38 PM

11. Pretty amazing how nature works!

Posted by: Beau | Sep 16, 2010 11:08:07 PM

12. Yawn. NY again? Storm? Really?!

Posted by: Eric | Sep 16, 2010 11:15:46 PM

13. A borough gets wet
    While strong wind blows. But Friday
    Partly cloudy, mild.

Posted by: Weather Haiku | Sep 16, 2010 11:24:56 PM

14. Wanna find AN INTERR-ACIAL RELATION-SHIP???

Here is a very nice community

____ black white mingle* C o m _____

It’s where black white sing-les looking for someone to enjoy their lifestyle with.
    Come in and stay a while. Complete your profile. Post a message, a picture of yourself and check out the photo galleries.
    Give it a try, you will find someone you like here (*^__^*)

Posted by: meetlove11111 | Sep 16, 2010 11:43:16 PM

15. intense weather? yes. a tornado? hardly.

Posted by: psgoodguy | Sep 17, 2010 12:14:03 AM

16. I prefer this video, filmed by some totally teen bro douchebag trustafarians who have never seen a real tornado. RIP NYC, what's happened to this town?

Posted by: Wil | Sep 17, 2010 12:21:58 AM

17. THAT was supposed to be a tornado?

*rofl*

Posted by: aleabeth | Sep 17, 2010 1:18:35 AM

18. Intense localized storm. Not unusual. We had some similar shit here in Boston this evening and it's raining right now.

Anyone familiar with living or working in a highrise building has I'm sure seen spectacular weather patterns. I've seen every type of wild weather fronts from my floor to ceiling office windows on the 38th floor of a Boston building. It's spectacular to see electric storms, snow, strong winds, even the sunsets over the Charles River and Cambridge to the west, or huge fog banks rolling in off the ocean to the east, are all spectacular.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 17, 2010 2:25:10 AM

19. I've never been in a tornado but I've seen them on TV. That hardly looked like the tornados I've seen on TV.

Posted by: elg | Sep 17, 2010 6:13:17 AM

20. We had two storms this past week in eastern Nebraska including Omaha. One had hail (missed the city) with tennis ball size hail. The hail destroyed crops in the field, broke windows on cars and homes, and demolished siding and roofs. Lasted for about 40 minutes.

Posted by: Jim | Sep 17, 2010 9:09:18 AM

21. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LsZEoV2wcc

Posted by: DeeVee | Sep 17, 2010 9:23:26 AM

22. Oh please, that was nothing. I'm from Missouri, we see storms like that all the time...and much worse.

Posted by: conradremington | Sep 17, 2010 9:40:15 AM

23. None of these videos capture the real scary parts of the storm except for maybe the annoying video with the people screaming "holy shit" in which the tree rips apart. It was indeed intense and roofs were ripped off of houses near me. Some people might say it was "nothing" but it most certainly was "something" to the woman who died and to the people who had their houses and cars destroyed. The national weather service is still deciding whether or not it was a tornado so clearly it was CLOSE to a tornado at least. I understand I don't live in Kansas and that weather is harsher there but that is the point. I live in Brooklyn where this weather isn't expected and thus, it was scary. Why must everyone have a fight about who lives in a part of the country with the worst weather all the time? I don't care if your state is colder, hotter, windier, or more prone to a hurricane than mine.

Posted by: Andy | Sep 17, 2010 9:40:37 AM

24. There is one video of a funnel cloud rotating over Perth Amboy, NJ. But here in Manhtattan there wasn't that telltale freight train noise (I'm a Southerner and have been through enough tornadoes and hurricanes).

Posted by: JTlvr | Sep 17, 2010 9:42:47 AM

25. Looks like a stronger than average "late afternoon thunderstorm" to me - which here in DC happen all the time!

Suck it up NYC!