Jon Hamm | Jon Stewart | News

Watch: Jon Stewart Hits on Jon Hamm

Stewart_hamm

He's Stewart's "free pass", apparently.

Says Hamm: "That's going to make the rest of this interview interesting, to say the least."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Jon Hamm
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full Episodes Political Humor Tea Party

Comments

1. Okay, I'm going to go there. I like Jon Hamm a lot and everything, but I just don't see what all the fuss is about. He's not ugly, and he seems like a funny nice enough guy, but he's certainly nowhere near as drop dead gorgeous as everyone makes him out to be in my book. There are a lot more far more beautiful people in this world for a lot of reasons. He just doesn't make me swoon like he does to everyone else apparently.

There's got to be at least one other person out there who agrees with me.

Posted by: MT | Sep 16, 2010 9:07:40 AM

2. He doesn't photograph well in harsh lighting. Usually hes in moody shadows or black and white. I think he's showing his age also. IMHO

Posted by: ggreen | Sep 16, 2010 9:36:11 AM

3. I personally don't care a bit if he's showing his age--in a world full of overgrown boys, to me he and George Clooney are Real Men. (And I love that, like Clooney, he's willing to be a little goofy and make fun of himself, which only makes him sexier.)

Posted by: Dback | Sep 16, 2010 9:59:04 AM

4. He's hot. Maturity is sexy.

Posted by: Curt | Sep 16, 2010 10:19:58 AM

5. Well, showing your age tends to be a natural side effect of the aging process. Imperfections are sexy, IMHO. I like that he's handsome but a little nervous and geeky at the same time. And it's nice to see a leading man blossom after he's entered middle age. I'd use my free pass on Jon (Hamm not Stewart--tho he's not bad either) anytime!

Posted by: Ernie | Sep 16, 2010 10:33:10 AM

6. @MT, I think he's handsome. There's just something suave and adult about him.

But honestly, I've never been really attracted sexually to him. He's much to straight for me, which is why I don't find him gorgeous and why he doesn't get any reaction from me.

So, in a way I agree with you.

Posted by: Joe | Sep 16, 2010 10:51:56 AM

7. Since when is showing your age bad for a man? Cary Grant, Clark Gable, Jimmy Stewart, George Clooney, Clint Eastwood -- the list goes on and on of Hollywood leading men who play or played romantic leads past 45 and sometimes well-past. Hamm's a baby compared to some of them.

Sure, it's nice to have pretty young things to look at, but, sooner or later, they're going to open their mouths and ruin the illusion. In the real world, mature men who are sexy are sexy.

Posted by: ohplease | Sep 16, 2010 10:53:47 AM

8. he is one sexy sumbitch. not only is he handsome, but he is smart and funny. what more could a gay guy want?

Posted by: nic | Sep 16, 2010 11:02:37 AM

9. Definitely he has that classic old hollywood leading man good looks.(and furry..yum) Both he and Ben.

Posted by: Lee | Sep 16, 2010 11:21:23 AM

10. Jon Hamm is hot, but from the shirtless scenes in Mad Men he needs to hit the pec deck and upper arms a lot more

Posted by: jerry | Sep 16, 2010 11:52:38 AM

11. @MT - you are not alone. I don't find him attractive at all. When he was the georgous bubble boy in 30 rock I did not get it at all.

of course in real life i'd probably drool over him because even the most average looking star is usually more attractive than 90% of the rest of the population.

Posted by: hoydenista | Sep 16, 2010 12:28:13 PM

12. @Jerry: The actress who plays the voluptuous Joan on Mad Men, Christina Hendricks, has spoken about how she has to be careful when she works out, how she has to avoid ending up with visibly defined muscles. The show's creator, Matthew Weiner, wants her to look like a woman with what was considered a sexy bod back in the 1960s -- curvy and soft.
    Similarly, I bet Jon Hamm has been instructed that his body cannot look too fit on the show, for it would be out of character and not true to the period in which Don lives.
    First, Don plays drinks and smokes way too much and, as one doctor warned, is in fact not fit at all.
    Second, Don is the sort of guy who has skated by on the good looks he is blessed with (handsome face, commanding eyes, well-proportioned body) and doesn't see the need to maintain it. I am sure he is supposed to look like he's been aging because it is clear that Don has not been taking care of himself (until he takes up swimming -- we'll see how long that lasts). Many of the handsomest men (in face) I've met and fooled around with turned out to have pretty soft bodies.
    Finally, even if the character Don decides to devote himself to physical fitness, he will not obtain the huge pecs and washboard abs that have become the desired features of for men these days. Look at the guys in vintage muscle mags from the era to get an idea of what Don would look like if he devoted himself to physical fitness.

Posted by: MichaelJ | Sep 16, 2010 12:38:41 PM

13. MichaelJ, interesting explanation, and not being of fan of today's exagerrated standards, I agree, to an extent, except check out paul newman's shirtless scene with Alexis Smith in The Young Philadelphians from 1959, a smokin' torso even by today's standards yet well in keeping with the late 50's early 60's standards/norms. he could do some defining work and still be in keeping with the era.

Posted by: jerry | Sep 16, 2010 12:55:03 PM

14. I disagree with all the people casting aspersions on Hamm's gorgeousness. He is beyond gorgeous. He's a handsome MAN. He's a man in a sea of boys.

Posted by: Daniel | Sep 16, 2010 1:49:55 PM

15. turkey link's undeniably handsome. I wonder if he wakes up in the morning and has ham and eggs, and finds that funny. Or if he has a lot of anxiety about the fact that his show glamorizes drinking and smoking, and that he's causing minors to get lung cancer and gout, and be sexist. Would he punch a clown?

Posted by: TANK | Sep 16, 2010 2:12:06 PM

16. oh good lord tank get a life already

Posted by: jerry | Sep 16, 2010 2:43:53 PM

17. His acting is wooden. He's "with" Jessica Stein, who cast him in her lesbian film. Do the math.

Posted by: Rachel | Sep 16, 2010 5:10:52 PM

18. I think it's in character for Mad Men that's he's not buff or toned. A middle aged straight man of high socio-economic status with a high powered career in Manhattan in the early 60s most likely would have exercise little , if at all. The culture of everyone working out didn't really begin to take root until the late 70s. I think it's refreshing to see bodies on TV that aren't the same cookie-cutter contemporary plucked gym body, which is so often anachronistic or inappropriate for the character.

What we think of as a good or hot body today, is a shape that barely existed until a few decades ago, when the use of certain gym equipment and machines became widespread, giving everybody the same ( mostly non-functional) bumps and bulges. In the 60s and before, many more men in America still did a lot of physical labor, which , similar to being an actual athlete, gave a totally different shape. So an actor like Paul Newman portraying a younger or working class character fifty year ago , was more toned, to approximate that; mature leading men like Cary Grant or Gregory Peck, not so much.

And yes they were all way sexier back then! Jon Hamm has a little whiff of that, but he also looks kinda 80s to me.

Posted by: aesthete | Sep 16, 2010 6:13:45 PM

19. I think he's the sexiest actor alive, and the best looking man in Hollywood in a generation.

Posted by: Jacknasty | Sep 16, 2010 9:23:02 PM

20. I agree with the others; he's a very handsome MAN. A classically handsome man in a sea of pretty little boys.

Posted by: lankyguy | Sep 16, 2010 11:21:20 PM

21. Jon Hamm is smokin' hot just the way he is.

I understand that peoples' tastes are different, but it seems like a lot of people posting here think there's some objective standard for being hot (i.e. you MUST have a cut, chiseled body with great pecs à la Joe Manganiello). You don't have to be "defined" or a gym bunny to have a nice body.

Posted by: Ted | Sep 18, 2010 12:04:12 PM