BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Lady Gaga's 'DADT' Speech in Portland, Maine

Richardson_gaga
(photo terry richardson)

Servicemembers Legal Defense Network and Lady Gaga today held a rally to pressure Maine Senators Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins to end a GOP filibuster on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

Watch Lady Gaga's speech, AFTER THE JUMP...

Said Gaga: "Equality is the prime rib of America. But because I'm gay I don't get to enjoy the greatest cut of meat my country has to offer."

The AP:

"More than 2,000 people attended a rally at Deering Oaks Park, where the Grammy Award-winning singer stood alongside Air Force, Army and Marine veterans who were discharged because of the policy, which prohibits service members from revealing if they're gay and recruiters from asking about people's sexual orientations. Lady Gaga railed against what she called the injustice of having goodhearted gay soldiers booted from military service while straight soldiers who harbor hatred toward gays are allowed to fight for their country. She suggested a new policy should target straight soldiers who are 'uncomfortable' with gay soldiers in their midst. 'Our new law is called 'If you don't like it, go home!' she said."

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has scheduled a vote for tomorrow at approximately 2 pm.

Already there are rumblings that Reid will set aside a final vote on the Defense bill until after the midterms.

Watch (in two parts, AFTER THE JUMP...

Ladygagarally

Comments

1. The first sentence of that last paragraph should read "ineffective"!

Posted by: Wes | Sep 21, 2010 12:31:12 AM

2. why are so many people bent on the food metaphor? "a chicken in every pot" hello! gotta love her. palin wishes she can speak this well.

Posted by: eric/nyc | Sep 21, 2010 12:37:29 AM

3. Go, Lady Gaga!

Posted by: Dawnell_do | Sep 21, 2010 1:06:06 AM

4. "because I'm gay I don't get to enjoy the greatest cut of meat my country has to offer."

My boyfriend is offended! :-)

Posted by: Philo | Sep 21, 2010 1:54:18 AM

5. I love, Love, LOVE what Lady Gaga is doing.

As for her "critics", who cares.

She has sold more albums than ever BEFORE being an activism for GLBT equality. I am so glad and proud of her for making a difference to fight for EQUALITY. She's definitely leading the way.

The fact of the matter is that those who are want the hateful DADT are in the minority. They are homophobic and hold UN-AMERICAN values and have no idea what this country is all about.

All I say to them and the naysayer:

AMERICA, LOVE IT (and all its people) ... OR LEAVE IT!

zas!

Posted by: FunMe | Sep 21, 2010 1:58:28 AM

6. Even if what she says is true and correct (as in this particular case) NO ONE should take serious political or even social cues from an entertainer. And every survey ever taken, to my knowledge, shows so-called 'stars' including folks like professional athletes, actors, musicians,etc., political endorsements have no appreciable impact on the final outcome. In fact, they often end up having a negative impact. And in the case of this demonstration in Portland, she's preaching to the choir. Demonstrations like this (at least as far as this issue is concerned) have little to no impact on the average citizen in Maine or anywhere else. In some respects it reinforces stereotypes, and probably 99% of people in Maine or anywhere else could care less if Lady GaGa gets angry at them or their community because they or their representatives vote a certain way.

I'll say this again; most people, liberal / progressive, conservative, in-between, agnostic, etc., do not like being lectured to by anybody.

And I still believe this is at the very least partially connected to her marketing team. It's great PR geared towards her main consumers.

Sorry to be so cynical.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 21, 2010 3:44:30 AM

7. To be honest, that was one of the most confused, pretentious, sophomoric "speeches" that I've ever heard.

I now know how it feels to be a high school english teacher.

Posted by: K1 | Sep 21, 2010 4:43:15 AM

8. A well thought out, spoken and intelligent speech. Bless Lady GaGa!

Posted by: GaryJ | Sep 21, 2010 5:43:46 AM

9. @Alex N: You are absolutely entitled to your opinion... however if you agree with the words said (if you did not have any idea who wrote them) I would hope you would offer up SOME kind of thanks to whoever made the statements, in support of a just cause.

Posted by: CKNJ | Sep 21, 2010 3:52:45 PM

10. @Ratbastard... see my comment to Alex N.... it matters NOT who says it... if sense is spoken it should be applauded. Sorry if it's someone that you feel is frivolous, but if what she says is true, put aside your derision and stand up for what she says (even if you don't stand up for her)...

Posted by: CKNJ | Sep 21, 2010 3:56:33 PM

11. @CKNJ: I'd still think the meat metaphor was adolescent, but here you go:

Thanks Lady Gaga. Your advocacy really helped!

Posted by: Alex N | Sep 21, 2010 4:08:52 PM