2010 Election | Carl Paladino | Discrimination | Gay Pride | New York | Religion

BigGayDeal.com

Carl Paladino's Apology Train: 'I'm Not A Homophobic'

Paladinotoday

Carl Paladino launched an apology train today, one day after saying that he doesn't want gay people "brainwashing" America's children.

The New York gubernatorial hopeful appeared on both The Today Show and Good Morning America to clear his name, and declared to ABC's George Stephanopoulos, "I'm not a homophobic." Stephanopoulos didn't appear convinced, and presented Paladino with one of the most sticky question: "Do you believe homosexuality's a choice?"

Paladino, a Tea Party Republican actively courting conservatives, dug himself deeper:

I’ve had difficulty with that. My [out] nephew tells me he didn’t have that choice. And I believe it’s a very, very difficult life for a young person. I believe that young people should not necessarily be exposed to that without some really, really mature background first before, so they can learn to deal with it. It is a very difficult thing. And I sensitize with it totally.

Paladino again pinned the remarks on the rabbi who wrote his remarks, and apparently takes great pride in the fact that he wouldn't say one of the speech's lines, that gays are "dysfunctional." What a mensch.

As for Paladino's Today appearance, he took lots aim at the physical contact seen at gay pride, "I don’t know if you’ve ever been to one, but they wear these little Speedos and they grind against each other, and it’s just a terrible thing." And, then again, about opponent Andrew Cuomo taking his daughters to gay pride: "I don't think it's proper for them to go there and watch a couple of grown men grind against each other. I don't think that's proper. I think it's disgusting."

And rest assured that he has no regrets.

Watch Paladino squirm on two couches, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I agree that Matt Lauer totally did a better job than George Stephanopoulos. Lauer kept hitting Palladino with questions whereas Stephanopoulos spent too much time digesting the responses.

Posted by: Andy | Oct 11, 2010 1:37:24 PM

2. OK, I understand now. Stupid he is not. He used our community to be in all the news/TV shows. After all we are a minority, a small group, attack and then apologize after. More people know about him. The exposure and name recognition is wider than before and free. He played us.

Posted by: malo | Oct 11, 2010 2:58:07 PM

3. For the love of God people VOTE VOTE VOTE. Even if you don't live in New York VOTE ON NOVEMBER 2ND because there are Republicans all across the country that share the same views. The Democrats may not be great but they sure as hell beat Paladino and his ilk.

Posted by: SKOC211 | Oct 11, 2010 3:28:26 PM

4. It IS true!! WHY DO GAY MEN HAVE TO ACT SO DISGUSTING AT PRIDE RALLIES???? I MEAN COME ON....STOP ALL THE GROSS ACTIVITY AND MAYBE PEOPLE WILL RESPECT US!!

Posted by: shannon | Oct 11, 2010 3:30:34 PM

5. "And what does "I sensitize with it totally" mean?"

I'm almost certain he meant to say moisturize...

Posted by: BobN | Oct 11, 2010 3:43:24 PM

6. I don't pretend to be the most intelligent or informed person, but this guy is way off beam.

Posted by: Alex | Oct 11, 2010 4:12:36 PM

7. RE Paladino............

Yes he's not homophobic. And hitler so loved the Jews etc etc etc.

If there was a god, these scum would long ago have been nothing but an abortion.

Posted by: SteveMD2 | Oct 11, 2010 4:42:53 PM

8. Shannon aren't you the one who just left West Hollywood? Geez, you sound more homophobic than some straights!

Have you ever seen what happens at the straight pride events? Check out any Spring Break and get a clue!

Geez, the GLBTs that become CONservative in the old age!

Posted by: FunMe | Oct 11, 2010 5:41:43 PM

9. The phrases 'whack job' and 'wing nut' are over-used, but in the case of Paladino, right on the money.

Just one more individual who gets off quoting the bible but has his own dirty background. He's so obvious it makes you wonder if his whole campaign isn't a straw dog.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 11, 2010 7:04:32 PM

10. TEA party is about taxation, government excess. Niles' attempt to slur tea party folks with anti gay bias is a crock. I spoke as an openly gay person at the New Orleans TEA Party rally over a year ago and got a lot of kudos from the crowd. And no opposition. Paladino is just another inarticulate person who does not know the proper language with which he should use to speak to "enlightened gay folks". But seeing as he is a republican, no enlightened gay person would ever give him a chance, irrespective of his comments. Were he of the opposite poitical stripe, any seeming indication he made towards backing off would have been heralded as complete and acceptable contrition. Posed with the same scenario, but a straight guy and a bikini clad babe grinding on each other suggestively, I would think that he would find that disgusting as well, and inappropriate for children to watch. Better question: Why do we want our sexually suggestive friends wearing little speedos to grind on each other in our parades? Answer: Obviously, Gay Pride is only about sex, and anyone watching better like it. I like it so I watch. (I would not like my kids to see it had I any.)

Posted by: ted | Oct 12, 2010 8:15:33 AM

11. This guy is a complete idiot. It never ceases to amaze me how such intellectual midgets climb to the top rungs of the Republican Party. Egad!

Posted by: wimsy | Oct 12, 2010 2:09:32 PM