"Ex-Gays" | Bullying | Gay Stories | I'm from Driftwood | Michael Goff | Nathan Manske | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Stories:
A Survivor's Account of An Unbelievable Hell Called Home

Driftwood

Nathan MFromdwoodontowleanske and Marquise Lee are halfway though a 3 month trip around the United States collecting stories for their I'm From Driftwood site. We're finally ready to start catching up with some of the stories collected over the first half of the trip along with some of the insight into what they're seeing now.

You've really got to see this one, so check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Nathan Marquiese From Nathan: "After sharing his story, Sam went on to tell me that he has a smiley face poster on the ceiling above his bed so it's the first thing he sees every day. Not to make himself feel better but because his goal in life is to make someone smile every single day.

Two weeks after our Manhattan visit, I read in the news that Kansas State passed a resolution supporting the equal rights of the LGBTQ community, being lead by none other than Samuel Brinton."

For more stories now, there's a  YouTube channel and their beautiful site at 50StateStoryTour where you can also get in touch if you want a visit. You can also just send them your stories about where you're from and growing up.

*****

GAY STORIES ON TOWLEROAD:

There are some great ones to come from these guys, other producers, and from you. Who are you and what's that like? Got a story about any other part of your life? Someone else's? Consider writing, recording, or shooting it in claymation. (or regular video) and sharing it with Towleroad users and the world.

Towleroad is currently the No. 1 most-visited gay news or content site, so a great place for your story, cautionary or inspirational tale or even "how to" video. What we're looking for:

- Any stage of life -- conception to death, though not likely your own in either case;

- So-called "news" to what's news to you;

- The mundane and spectacular.

- "This American Gay Life" to "America's Funniest Gay Home Videos"

Use the contact page or send to stories@towleroad dot com (Send us a private link for video or a note asking how to get it to us.)

And keep watching.

*Yes, adult and dating sites have their own slightly bigger categories as well as slightly different stories.

Comments

1. Kill your son in the name of God. Heed not the mistakes of Abraham and Isaac.

Posted by: ila lwara | Oct 27, 2010 1:04:40 PM

2. No words convey the horror of what that young man has been through. It is a testament of his resolve that he is still with us and the power of forgiveness that he is even willing to try to make contact with his parents, his father especially, ever again.

Posted by: Craig | Oct 27, 2010 1:06:53 PM

3. Indeed. Quite unbelievable what he went through - he's stronger than I am (and more forgiving). The sad reality is that children are essentially the property of their parents and can almost be treated as such.

As the saying goes, you can choose your friends, not your parents. Nowadays I have much less contact with my family and live more with and through my friends - and I'm happier for it.

Posted by: dreamfish | Oct 27, 2010 1:13:03 PM

4. Link doesn't have sound ...

Posted by: Matt | Oct 27, 2010 1:14:09 PM

5. ahhh that kid/young man is too nice...Id tell them in in No uncertain terms to go stuff thier fucking buy-bull up dads ass- and moms twat.....you ignorant mother fucking disgusting pigs.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Oct 27, 2010 1:15:21 PM

6. No sound.

Posted by: Brent Z | Oct 27, 2010 1:24:30 PM

7. You need to turn the sound up on the player.

Posted by: Andy Towle | Oct 27, 2010 1:26:17 PM

8. I would guess that this kids father was horrifically abused by a male pedophile, and his overreaction was caused by his probably childhood trauma. I mean, it's one thing to think gay is wrong, and another thing to start beating the shit out of your own kid at the hint of gay.

I'm not saying his treatment was right, I'm just saying that there has got to be a story with the father that begins with some kind of sexual abuse.

Just sayin...

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Oct 27, 2010 1:27:25 PM

9. @Matt:
    The sound control is confusing. It looks like the old YouTube control that opens upwards, but it just mutes. The ball to the right does the job.

Posted by: Chris | Oct 27, 2010 1:27:33 PM

10. I sincerely hope he's in intensive therapy. Nobody can go through that much torture and be okay without help ever again, even if they are perfectly functional on a day-to-day basis. The fact that he feels the need to contact his abusers -- repeatedly and constantly, no less -- is a terrible sign. He needs to move past these people and work with the legal system to get his younger siblings out of the clutches of people who torture and threaten to kill their own children.

Posted by: ohplease | Oct 27, 2010 1:40:10 PM

11. Dude,
    To have come through what you experienced and to be sane and rational and have your integrity intact speaks loudly of your personal strength.
    i hope you read this....I hope you move on with your life and leave these pathetic people behind.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 27, 2010 1:40:59 PM

12. why is there no sound?!

Posted by: nic | Oct 27, 2010 1:44:51 PM

13. @NIC : there is sound.....go to bottom right corner and adjust volume.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Oct 27, 2010 1:46:16 PM

14. Religion. This is what it causes people to do. It is wrong.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 27, 2010 1:50:40 PM

15. It makes me so angry that some idiot is telling him, "oh give them some time and they'll come around". They're never "coming around" and for him to keep hoping so is damaging to his growth and acceptance of that. There are religious people that go to church on Sundays and leave it at that. These people come around. Then there are fervent, brainwashed, quacks who believe that God is going to smite them down at any second. His parents are the latter. He needs to run as far from them as he can and slap the shit out of the asshole that keeps telling him to try to establish a relationship with them. They washed their hands of him long ago and he needs to do the same of them.

Posted by: D.R.H. | Oct 27, 2010 2:08:01 PM

16. Is the Iowa Department of Human Services being involved? http://www.dhs.state.ia.us/consumers/safety_and_protection/abuse_reporting/childabuse.html

Posted by: Patric | Oct 27, 2010 2:23:12 PM

17. What a horror! I hope that this kid keeps on walking away from this miserable family. I hope he has found the love and acceptance that he not only needs but deserves in his present location. Build a new family because your old "family" wasn't one.

Posted by: John | Oct 27, 2010 2:40:43 PM

18. Wish I could give you a warm hug. Your story breaks my heart...

Posted by: terryp | Oct 27, 2010 2:47:08 PM

19. Well, this confirms my determination never to set foot in any church that is not gay friendly. I am really sorry that I went to my granddaughter's baptism in the Roman Catholic Church. I had no say that it was there, but I should have stayed home.

Never give those guys a shred of recognition. Not for a baptism, not for a wedding, not for a funeral.

Meanwhile, we have criminal behavior here. I know that the authorities can really do nothing without his cooperation, but he should seriously consider criminal charges against his monster parents.

Posted by: Joel | Oct 27, 2010 3:21:00 PM

20. I concur what everyone has said. He is letting the abusers get away with more abuse. Typical lefty thinking, no wonder the right wing in the US make so much mince meat of you guys!

Grow some balls, report them, look after your siblings and lead your life in an exemplary way.

I'm sorry but I don't feel sorry for victims or serial battered wife syndrome.

Posted by: Rowan | Oct 27, 2010 3:24:46 PM

21. "He is letting the abusers get away with more abuse. Typical lefty thinking, no wonder the right wing in the US make so much mince meat of you guys!"

Whaaaa???

Since you've chosen to exploit this young man's story to attempt to score some political points, allow me to point out that you appear to be woefully misinformed about the politics of protecting children from abuse and recognizing the rights of children in this country. It was the efforts of progressives like Marian Wright Edelman and Hillary Rodham Clinton which laid much of the foundation for the protections which exist today for abused children. Too often it has been right-wingers opposing those initiatives under the argument that government should not be interfering with the ability of parents to discipline their children as they see fit.

Posted by: Patric | Oct 27, 2010 3:37:00 PM

22. Click on the ball,hold and drag right.
    Great stories!

Posted by: KEW | Oct 27, 2010 3:46:23 PM

23. I think I need to call my parents and tell them how much I love them.
    They may drive me crazy but I always knew I was loved.

And did anyone report this "Therapy" place to the police?

Posted by: IAN F | Oct 27, 2010 4:00:28 PM

24. Congratulations, Rowan. Give Tim Proffitt a call when you get a chance; there's a good boy.

Posted by: Agcons | Oct 27, 2010 4:09:01 PM

25. this kid is fantastic to have endured such hate and still seems to be pretty level headed is a miracle. his parents don't know how lucky they are to have him.his father sounds like he is a few bricks short of a full load. and shoulr be prosecuted for child abuse. no one should be allowed to beat somebody like that. the bastard should be in jail and the other kids removed to child services. maybe in jail he could learn a real lesson.

Posted by: walter | Oct 27, 2010 4:54:55 PM