Anderson Cooper | Discrimination | Eminem | Music

BigGayDeal.com

Eminem Discusses Homophobic Lyrics With Anderson Cooper

Emcooper

Musician Eminem sat down with Anderson Cooper on 60 Minutes last night. And, since Cooper has become a champion against homophobia, the anchor asked Eminem to why he uses the word "faggot" so freely.

Eminem explains that he's always heard the word, and that it's not necessarily tied to homosexuality, "That word was thrown around so much, you know? Faggot was, like, it was thrown around constantly, to each other, like in battling, you know what I mean?" he asked, before insisting that he doesn't hate gay people. "I don't have any problem with nobody, you know what I mean. Like, I'm just whatever." Asked whether he needs to take responsibility for his words, Eminem puts the onus on parents to censor their children's lives.

As for criticism that's he a homophobe, brought up most often by the gay group GLAAD? Eminem plays the victim: "I felt like I was being attacked," he said. "I was being singled out. And I felt like, is it because of the color of my skin? Is it because that, you're paying more attention? Is it because there's certain rappers that do and say the same things that I'm saying. And I don't hear no one saying anything about that. I didn't just invent saying offensive things."

Watch Eminem discuss the "f-word," AFTER THE JUMP.

Relevant discussion at the 3:30 mark.

Comments

1. as a Gay man, I can't deny his use of the word, and what that promotes, but at the same time I can't deny that I am a fan. His music is some of the best hip hop ever made, but his lyrics, however hateful they are towards the LGBT community are no where near as hateful as others. Take Buju Banton's "Boom Bye Bye" as an prime example, which explicitly condones the act of throwing acid on the faces of gays. None of Eminem's lyrics even come close to that. I wonder if Cooper tried to interview Banton or any other hip hop/rap artist before setting his sights on Eminem. At the very least Eminem agreed to the interview, which I have to admire.

Posted by: Giosue | Oct 11, 2010 5:09:31 PM

2. Anderson dealt with the issue appropriately. It was a profile not a topical debate or throwdown. The lyrics and resulting outcry they were discussing are also about ten years old.

If he turned the piece into an excuse to rant his personal views about things from ten years ago that have already been discussed extensively in the media long ago, he would have been viewed as letting his sexuality interfere with his job of presenting a portrait of his subject, alienated a lot of viewers, and risked his employers losing the confidence in him.

We also are seeing this piece through the lens of current events which was not the context it was created in. This was mostly filmed in July except for the concert part in September.

Posted by: markm | Oct 11, 2010 5:19:19 PM

3. @CRISPY, you are so right, he's doing an interview, doesn't mean he is going to disrespect the interviewee (word?) and be rude and obnoxious to him, yall are some fickle fuckers, either you love him for everything he does, or you dont like him at all.
    You dont pick and choose what you like that he does, he's doing his J-O-B! I personally love the Coop.

Posted by: Gypsy | Oct 11, 2010 5:27:21 PM

4. The "N word" is also thrown around a lot in Hip Hop but you don't hear that coming out of his mouth. As a matter of fact, he has made a conscious decision not to use the "N word". His excuse is as lame as his extremely disposable music.

Posted by: KevMusic | Oct 11, 2010 5:29:29 PM

5. such a well spoken almost-40 yr old

lol

pathetic

Posted by: neverstops | Oct 11, 2010 5:48:54 PM

6. Why does this little poser always get a pass? My guess is because he has been constructed from the ground up by Velvet Mafia stylists, managers, and producers who make big bucks from every "faggot" he spews into a microphone. Eminem and his creators, like all good televangelists, have learned the secret of success: you never go broke pandering to America's ignorance and darkest fears. Anderson Cooper's first job out of college was with the CIA by the way. Why HE always gets a pass is a mystery to me too.

Posted by: freestuffffff | Oct 11, 2010 6:13:35 PM

7. Rap has been and is brutally,violently homophobic,anti-homosexual. It's based on extreme machismo and misogyny so this is not surprising. Marshall Mathers has become very wealthy often through very nasty,vicious, violent anti-homosexual lyrics. It is what it is. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 11, 2010 7:15:52 PM

8. Considering that he also wrote songs about killing the woman he was married to and apparently loved enough to marry twice I'd just put this in the corner of trying to get a rise out of people and it working.

He wanted to shock people and he did.

If we didn't live in a country where we were all so titillated by assholes and didn't love to be offended people like this wouldn't make a dime.

Posted by: Rin | Oct 11, 2010 7:21:41 PM

9. Is he disingenuous or actually stupid? Hard to tell, but as he's essentially claiming that slurs against minorities cease to be offensive with repetition, he's got to be either or both.

For all his bleeding-edge urban image, at heart he's just another rich, straight, entitled white guy who promotes himself by any means necessary.

Posted by: Bryan | Oct 11, 2010 11:12:15 PM

10. Hmm, I dunno. Would Andy have let Eminem off so lightly if he were singing nasty words about Muslims?

Posted by: Chunks | Oct 12, 2010 12:19:45 AM

11. If I had a nickel for every time someone used one of his lyrics in an offensive verbal assault against me, man I'd be a millionaire...

Posted by: Jesus | Oct 12, 2010 1:22:53 AM

12. Eminem like all other low-class rappers whether crackers or niggers always use excuses to use insulting language.I do not find faggot insulting because I do not let it be insulting.My father used to say:Insults are never given,only taken.If these excuses for humans use those words I do not accpt them as insulting.Words are words and the best response to them is to ignore them.I expect if they use them to also take them.If they can't take it,F*ck them.

Posted by: Oscar in Miami Beach | Oct 12, 2010 3:36:31 AM

13. All of you need to jump back into reality. None of this really matters in the big picture, because all of our so called rights are being stripped away little by little. When the economy and banks really fail this time next time around, you'll all be scratching your heads wondering what happened. What's happening in Greece and Spain will happen here. Our Government will fall. You cannot just keep printing money with no consequence. Good luck to you all.

Posted by: Rob | Oct 12, 2010 5:40:15 AM

14. would just like to point out:
    he has not used any homophobic language for yearssssss people.
    and if you paid any attention to him what so ever, you would know this.
    he stopped after all the backlash around 2001- latest

Posted by: steffa | Oct 12, 2010 9:04:28 AM

15. beyond the f-word, his lyrics state he hates gay people--"the answer is yes"

Posted by: r | Oct 12, 2010 11:32:00 AM

16. I'm sorry but he's a reporter, asking reporter's questions. He wasn't there to burn his bra for your personal satisfaction.

Good grief.

Posted by: EM | Oct 12, 2010 2:25:44 PM

17. I don't see how anybody can be a fan of this trailer trash black wannabe. He just another bigot who belches murderous hate, then whines when he gets called on it. Meanwhile, millions of halfwits who listen to his fulminations think it's a fine idea to slug the nearest gay guy. Fuck him, and fuck his so-called music.

Posted by: wimsy | Oct 12, 2010 2:28:06 PM

18. WTF?! Poor Eminem... his white privilege afforded him way more media attention and success than other rappers, and his white privilege meant that more people cared about what he said. His life must be so difficult. What. The. Fuck.

Posted by: Mariella | Oct 12, 2010 4:13:18 PM

19. One of the greatest musical geniuses of our time. Keep doing your thing, Em.

Posted by: Cyd | Oct 12, 2010 9:50:00 PM

20. The fact that Anderson Cooper, an intelligent, educated journalist, is in the closet is way more disturbing to me than anything Eminem, or any other dumb ass rapper, could ever say.

Posted by: Shane | Oct 13, 2010 1:31:12 PM

21. im glad finally theres an eminem interview longer than 5 minutes

Posted by: Mark | Nov 18, 2010 5:23:51 PM

22. em never was homophobic. if you really listen to his lyrics you can hear it

Posted by: Yoko | Nov 26, 2010 11:29:35 AM

23. Eminem's never been a great interviewer, so his defence wasn't great, but seriously, people need to stop taking his lyrics out of context. Yes, he uses the "f" word a lot, but the the essence of any word is created by the context it's used in. In the context he used it for all of his underground career and for the Slim Shady LP, it was nothing but an insulting word to another, generally heterosexual, human being. Then when he got criticized by the uptight American media for using it too much, on his follow up album, he really played with the critics, just edging them on. He's always been edgy and his Slim Shady alter ego is nothing short of a psycho path. That's what makes him entertaining because he takes the thoughts which most people would repress and shoves them in your face. If it scares you he'll do it more and more. The "Hate fags the answer's yes" quote is also followed by, "relax God, I like gay men." Clearly, this is not spewing hatred towards them. I sympathize with the gay community, but anyone who is prejudiced after hearing and Eminem record is already prejudiced. People hear what they want to hear, but from my perspective, it's not hatred.

Posted by: Jeff | Jan 25, 2011 3:18:25 AM

24. Evan's right. -_- This shouldn't come up into a huge debate. If gay people don't like Eminem and know that his music has some homophobic lyrics in it...then don't listen to it! However, I don't have anything against either person. I'm just stating my opinion like everyone else.

Posted by: Saria | Feb 1, 2011 7:33:59 AM

25. When I watched this, i didn't think that Eminem was actaully answering the question, and if you listen carefully, you'll hear he said no before he said that he didn't have a problem with nobody. but most rappers are homophobic anyway, but they are better at hiding it than Eminem is-he probably doesn't hide it. I mean-hate fags? Come on. And in business he says thathye and Elton Joh n played character Russian Roulette. Not the words of someone who is gay-friendly. Having said that, I am a hige fan of Eminem's music. The man is good. But far from perfect.

Posted by: Deborah | Apr 27, 2011 10:35:23 AM