Barack Obama | Elton John | Gay Marriage | News | Rush Limbaugh

BigGayDeal.com

Elton John Talks Rush Limbaugh

Elton

In a lengthy interview with The Telegraph, Elton John discusses his new album. He also touches on the anger he provoked in June when he sang at Rush Limbaugh's wedding.

Earlier this year he caused outcry among the gay community when he performed, for a reported fee of $1 million, at the wedding of the splenetic right-wing American commentator Rush Limbaugh, a man who has been accused of being a homophobe, and who has described Aids as a 'hyped’ disease and claimed 'there was never any evidence’ that it could be transmitted heterosexually.

'When he asked me to play at his wedding, my agent said, “Well, of course you won’t be doing it,” ’ Elton says. 'But I said, “Well, let me think about that first.”’

Limbaugh, he says, is against gay marriage – 'But then so is President Obama. But Limbaugh’s not anti-civil partnerships, so maybe I can have a dialogue about that. I’ve put my foot in the water and so has he. I got on with him very well, got on very well with his wife. I don’t have the same politics, but that doesn’t really matter. And I think this year I can start to put things in motion by trying to get him on my side.’

The tide can change, he says.

Once again, Obama's same-sex marriage position used to legitimize the positions of those working against us.

Comments

1. Just gotta like that good old Elton!

Posted by: Vicky | Oct 25, 2010 3:48:10 PM

2. Elton has a good point, but I do believe the dollar signs came first. He and Rush both wanted the PR and attention.

Andy, that was a great one-liner at the end. If the first black president isn't for equal rights to marriage, who really will be? It's simple for many people to assume same-sex marriage just isnt in the cards for America.

Posted by: Trey | Oct 25, 2010 4:34:59 PM

3. Ahahahahahahaa. Limbaugh as the new George Wallace.

Maybe when he's in a wheelchair.

Posted by: ChimChim | Oct 25, 2010 4:53:20 PM

4. I suppose one can forgive Elton for his little lie about Limbaugh and Obama. The man has never struck me as terribly bright or that interested in politics.

BUT to have the host here reinforce the lie is, to say the least, disappointing. Rush Limbaugh worked hard to encourage passage of dozens of state constitutional amendments which ban SSM and civil unions.

He's an anti-gay bigot.

Posted by: BobN | Oct 25, 2010 5:16:32 PM

5. EFF Elton John and his pu**y convoluted reasoning.

Posted by: Perry | Oct 25, 2010 6:18:12 PM

6. You queens need to start building bridges instead of criticizing someone who is a true pioneer and a musical genius.
    And Andy's statement is true, we are not going to get our rights because the right wing (which includes blue dog dems like Obama) needs to appeal to the churchy crowd.

Posted by: ty | Oct 25, 2010 11:34:57 PM

7. EJ will obviously do anything for a buck...or a quid....or a Euro

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 26, 2010 12:41:55 AM

8. According to Leon Russell, Elton saved his life. I am certain Ryan White and his Mom also received some solace from Elton, too.
    What's wrong with you people? It is likely that history will see Elton not only as a great composer & musician but also a wonderful philanthropist.

Posted by: BOBZ | Oct 26, 2010 1:24:56 AM

9. Well, I think EJ is full of shite, but on the other hand it's not like he needed the money. He's so rich that a million bucks is nothing to this guy so it wasn't because of that. He's delusional if he thinks he's made a difference in getting Limbaugh to lay off the homophobia though.

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Oct 26, 2010 7:23:35 AM

10. He's human. He has done a lot of good things, probably more than most people in similar positions as himself.

He'll still do anything for a buck. Nothing really wrong with that, dude probably does need the money. He's extravagant.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 26, 2010 8:30:22 AM

11. The irony is that Rush L. paid a million bucks for music he could not hear!

Posted by: anon | Oct 26, 2010 12:07:50 PM