Anderson Cooper | Arkansas | Bullying | Clint McCance | Ellen DeGeneres | News

Watch: Anderson Cooper Speaks to Ellen DeGeneres About Arkansas School Board Member Clint McCance

Anderson_sellen

Following Anderson Cooper's interview with Arkansas School Board Member Clint McCance, who resigned over remarks he made on Facebook attacking gays and celebrating the deaths of gay youth who commit suicide, Ellen DeGeneres appeared on AC360 to discuss McCance and anti-gay bullying.

Said DeGeneres of McCance's homophobic rants:

"If we allowed this to happen from someone like him, then we -- what message does that send to a kid? What message does that send to a child in school that says, 'Well, you know, he's saying it, why can't we say it? And we want them to die, too.' I mean, it sends a horrible message."

DeGeneres added:

“It would not be acceptable if someone used the N-word. When the civil rights movement happened, it took not just the community of blacks to make a change, but white people needed to step in and say this is unacceptable. We cannot tolerate this and treat any citizen with lesser value. And, I think, as a gay person, I would like to personally ask every heterosexual person out there who is appalled by this to – we need your help now. This is -- this is -- this is absurd. ”

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. For fuck's sake Ellen, being gay is NOT a "different lifestyle". Someone needs to wash the Tony Perkins out of her mouth.

Posted by: JOHNINMANHATTAN | Oct 29, 2010 7:13:49 AM

2. I love the banner ad by the Democrats: "Stand With the Party That Stands With You." That was my laugh for the morning.

Posted by: justiceontherocks | Oct 29, 2010 7:29:45 AM

3. UGH! Quit getting your panties in a bunch over the words "lifestyle choice". Isn't it a lifestyle choice to come out of the closet? That's how I always take it. It's semantics, people, and Ellen is DEFINITELY one of the good guys. There are far bigger enemies to blow up at that talk about "Sodomy Marriage" and other absolutely vile and disgusting things. Do NOT waste your time and energy picking apart the words of those who are on our side.

Posted by: AJ | Oct 29, 2010 8:00:29 AM

4. Amen, AJ. Amen.

Posted by: Larry | Oct 29, 2010 8:31:46 AM

5. The term "lifestyle" when applied to gays is used to denigrate lesbians and gay men, suggesting that their sexual orientation is a choice and therefore can and should be "cured". Ellen should know better.

Posted by: WordsMatter | Oct 29, 2010 9:40:20 AM

6. @Wordsmatter: You're right that she should, and I'm sure does, know better. It must have been a slip of the tongue.

@AJ: Could not choosing to lie about any other aspect of your life be a "lifestyle?"
    For example, I once met a woman who told people she was part French, though I heard she wasn't and just thought it sounded classy. So if I answer occasional questions about my own ethnic background without lying, is that a lifestyle? I think it's a bit of a stretch.

But even if we were to say being out is a "lifestyle," the "lifestyle" that was referred to in the exact words of the sentence was "homosexu,ality," not "being out."

Asher was 13 years old and had only come out to his parents the same day. When I was a 13-year-old gay kid (but not out to anyone), my lifestyle consisted of actions like going to school, doing math homework, building snow forts with the boys up the street and visiting my grandparents for Christmas.
    None of these kids were bullied because of their lifestyle, but because of their perceived identity. Some were out and some were not (some may not even have been gay but were perceived to be so and attacked on that basis).
    I can excuse Ellen because she's amazing and otherwise did a great job, but I do hope when she got home she said to her wife, "Oops, I slipped up and really should have worded that differently."

Posted by: gregv | Oct 29, 2010 11:16:27 AM

7. While I don't think it's worth faulting Ellen over, or calling her out on it -- I think it's very clear that when Ellen does speak on sexuality she's speaking right from the heart -- I do think there's a negative connotation to "the gay lifestyle" or our "lifestyle choice," particularly when coming from religious folks.

Posted by: antisaint | Oct 29, 2010 11:56:26 AM

8. Anderson is absolutely right. If McCance called these kids n*****s and said he is happy whenever n*****s kill themselves, he would have been fired immediately. Apparently gay kids are not worth as much in the eyes of the public.

Posted by: DH | Oct 29, 2010 3:32:06 PM