Andrew Shirvell | Chris Armstrong | Michigan

BigGayDeal.com

Michigan Assistant AG Andrew Shirvell Could Lose His License

This possibility arose yesterday after openly gay University of Michigan student assembly president Chris Armstrong and his attorney filed a complaint with the Michigan Attorney Grievance Commission.

Shirvell The Detroit Free Press reports:

"Deborah Gordon, the attorney for U-M student Chris Armstrong, said Friday she has filed a complaint with the Michigan Attorney Grievance Commission against Shirvell, a Michigan assistant attorney general, on behalf of her client. The complaint alleges Shirvell harassed and defamed Armstrong during what Gordon describes as a six-month campaign 'of lies, dishonesty, heckling, hate speech and even job interference.' The commission could disbar Shirvell if it investigates. 'I could not stand by and let Mr. Shirvell continue his reckless, bullying behavior,' Armstrong said in a statement."

Armstrong added: "We just feel very strongly ... that you can't be a licensed attorney and an officer of the court and conduct yourself this way and essentially terrorize a college student."

While Armstrong has dropped his restraining order against Shirvell, the state's assistant attorney general is still not allowed to step foot on the the University of Michigan campus. Shirvell's attorney has threatened legal action if that ban lifted is not lifted as well.

Shirvell is still under voluntary leave from his position but is scheduled to return to his position next week.

Comments

1. http://littlekiwilovesbauhaus.blogspot.com/2010/09/crazy-closeted-andrew-shirvell.html

AWESOME! Shirvell is yet another in a long-series of very disturbed and very unstable individuals whose obsessive loathing of themselves externalizes as a very dangerous promotion of anti-gay bigotry.

check out my posting of my facebook interactions with him. the dude's a nutjob.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Oct 30, 2010 3:10:19 PM

2. He's a stalker. Doing it on Stalkers are sick and dangerous. They virtually always try to harm the victim of their attentions when they don't get their way. Let's hope he's prevented from taking it that far.

Posted by: justiceontherocks | Oct 30, 2010 4:27:06 PM

3. After watching the Anderson Cooper interview of this Shirvell dude, there is no question that he has a screw loose. History tells us that this type of situation never finishes with a happy ending.

Posted by: oliver | Oct 30, 2010 4:38:03 PM

4. Why has this taken so long? The guy is a crazy who has been totally unprofessional and demonstrated he isn't fit for office. Did no-one else notice or even care enough to intervene before Armstrong had to do it himself?

Posted by: dreamfish | Oct 30, 2010 4:52:19 PM

5. Shirvell reminds me of Dan White, who lost it and killed Harvey Milk. I hope Armstrong has some police protection.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Oct 30, 2010 5:04:19 PM

6. PATRICK, was Dan White a closeted gay, too? I read somewhere he was, but with his Catholic "faith" family and more, he stayed in the closet and became very anti-gay and a killer.

Posted by: FunMe | Oct 30, 2010 6:43:57 PM

7. Shirvell has painted himself into a corner, and soon everything will blow-up in his face. I fear the conclusion of this story, I too have visions of a "Dan White/Harvey Milk" scenario. Armstrong REALLY needs to watch his back. I don't think U.M. is going to take Shirvell's attorney too seriously, they have a duty to protect Armstrong, as well as the other students. They sure as hell do not want some nationally known nut-job running around campus.

Posted by: JOEBLOE | Oct 30, 2010 8:40:24 PM

8. I forgot to add that Cox needs to be held accountable for this fiasco. He should have chained-up this "pitbull" a long time ago. In my eyes, he's just as bad, and guilty.

Posted by: JOEBLOE | Oct 30, 2010 8:47:26 PM

9. I'm glad Chris Armstrong is taking action against this lunatic. I still can't believe that Shirvell thought that going on Anderson Cooper's TV program was a good move. He came across as one toy shy of a Happy Meal.

Posted by: Ninong | Oct 30, 2010 11:33:18 PM

10. @JOEBLOE: I agree. Mike Cox should be disciplined at the very least. Ideally, he would lose his license for allowing the abuse to continue after it was brought to his attention.

Posted by: mad1026 | Oct 31, 2010 12:30:54 PM

11. Seldom have I seen such a purse-lipped queen. I bet this girlfriend disapproves of everything. Would have made a perfect puritan.

Posted by: Rem | Nov 4, 2010 9:49:36 PM