Alexander Skarsgard | Bill clinton | Chile | Comic Books | Jake Gyllenhaal | Jesse Ventura | News | Republican Party | Sarah Palin

News: Archie Comics, Miners, Sarah Palin, Dinosaurs

road One of the Chilean miners responds to the rumors that their so-called "pact of silence" has to do with gay sex: "No, nothing like that ever went on. We were too busy trying to survive to think of sex."

Kevin  road Archie Comics's first gay character, Kevin Kellar, has been such a massive success that he will get his own four part mini-series in the summer of 2011.

road Germany Chancellor Angela Merkel says that her country's multi-cultural appraoch is a failure: "We feel tied to Christian values. Those who don't accept them don't have a place here."

road Antoine Dodson is squeezing out as much as he can out of his 15 minutes.

road Former Governor Jesse Ventura bashes former Governor Sarah Palin: "Anybody that would put Sarah Palin to the top of their list will never get me. She's a quitter...She quit in the middle of her term. That's the contract you have with the voters."

road Bill Clinton's back out on the campaign trail.

Mannish  road I'm happy to report that models are becoming less boyish and more Jon Hamm-ish. Even Jim Nelson, the editor of GQ, tells the New York Times that “The twink thing seems over.”

road The Tyrannosaurus rex was even more savage than first thought; they wouldn't even think twice about eating their own kind. Said one researcher: "If something is dead, it's lunch."

road The Scream 4 trailer is coming.

road That was quick. The lesbian couple asked to leave a mall in North Carolina for kissing get an apology from the owners: "We welcomed the opportunity to sit down with the women and offer our sincere regrets over last week's incident."

road Jake Gyllenhaal looks great for someone who is about to hit the big 3-0.

road Alexander Skarsgard wins a giant fang.

road Maureen Dowd on what she calls "the era of Republican Mean Girls": "Grown-up versions of those teenage tormentors who would steal your boyfriend, spray-paint your locker and, just for good measure, spread rumors that you were pregnant."

Comments

1. Jake "looks great" for "turning 30?" Jesus, he's not a construction worker on meth, he's an actor. Why is the fact that he still looks good surprising?

Posted by: Robert | Oct 17, 2010 7:49:15 PM

2. “The twink thing seems over.”

Yippee! About time!

Posted by: Brad | Oct 17, 2010 7:54:14 PM

3. Yes, robert...when you're paid millions of dollars to look good, and are surrounded by nutritionists, personal cooks, and personal trainers...it's very hard to look at 30...30, and it's basically over (for us mere mortals), though--even if you have a eight hundred dollar an hour trainer and a meal plan fit for ballet dancer. Over and out...

The twink thing is over? Awwwww...I hate mature daddies, rugged looking biker chic douchebags, and above all, gross bears. Nooo, you're not a morbidly obese sloppy looking eyesore...not if you're gay! Instead, you're a bear... Facial hair and burned out bodies here we come! Disgusting.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 17, 2010 8:04:55 PM

4. The german chancellor's a bigot? Shocking... If she'd dropped the "christian values" bit, I wouldn't really have a problem with it...instead, she turned into an ultra nationalist, religiofascist rant.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 17, 2010 8:26:13 PM

5. 30 is nothing if you use half-decent products (I thought Jake was older anyway). The Archie character looks really gay. Merkel will backpedal. Twinks rule, but everyone has different taste. As do I.

And I really don't want to think about sex between middle-aged Chilean miners in a confined space.

Posted by: Paul R | Oct 17, 2010 8:30:17 PM

6. Sorry, but I'd pick the boy on the left.

Posted by: Philo | Oct 17, 2010 8:56:52 PM

7. Jake has been blessed by good genes

Posted by: jaragon | Oct 17, 2010 9:33:06 PM

8. Something tells me that if the couple who kissed in the North Carolina mall were male the mall wouldn't be apologizing and no one would be pushing them to.

I didn't even like twinks when I was one way back in the 1900s.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Oct 17, 2010 9:51:07 PM

9. Looks great for someone about to turn 30? 30, are you serious? What happens at midnight on their 30th birthday, do people immediately devolve into trolls and Australopithecenes?

On a related note, glad to see that the underdeveloped-teenage-boy aesthetic is on its way out. Bring on the beards, developed musculature, chest hair, and MEN.

Posted by: naughtylola | Oct 17, 2010 9:51:59 PM

10. My Catholic, Italian grandmother was forced into an arranged marriage. Ending forced marriages isn't a Christian value, it's a secular, modern value.

Remember a decade or two back, before we were bullied and bamboozled into this neo-Christian crap, when America stood for secular government and modern human rights (which happen to include freedom of religion)? That was the right track. We're on the wrong one now.

Posted by: BobN | Oct 17, 2010 10:08:47 PM

11. Lol, the big 3-0. I'd never go back to that age. I've been loving my life since the big 4-5 and will NEVER look back. Twinks are cute but wouldn't want one.

Posted by: Name: | Oct 17, 2010 10:19:14 PM

12. i've never been into twinks and some people would consider me to be one. I love the bears.

Posted by: New New | Oct 17, 2010 11:15:09 PM

13. Tank, if you're so damn hot, why do you bother sitting in front of a keyboard? If you don't feel like going out, couldn't you just stare in a mirror for a few hours. Actually, your insistence that you're so young and hot makes me think you're anything but young and hot. Madame, thou doth protest too much.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Oct 18, 2010 12:31:18 AM

14. All these names and categories we tend to put each other in are tiresome altogether. It's enough work in this society to deal with 'them' calling 'us' names without us doing to each other, isn't it?

I like what I like no matter the name assigned to his look. So lame.

Posted by: princely54 | Oct 18, 2010 2:24:57 AM

15. "Looks good for 30" is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen posted to this blog, and that's saying something. If it was a joke, it's not funny enough. If it was serious, you need your head examined. Huge segments of the human population have long thought male looks peak (or start to plateau) in the mid 30s.

Maybe the surprise factor is when someone who was very attractive as a boy continues to be very attractive as he grows into his looks as a man? Whatever, Steve... that was a preposterous thing to write.

Posted by: humanist | Oct 18, 2010 3:12:18 AM

16. Well, those people aren't biologists, humanist...the predictable bitter old routine is well represented in the blogosphere. Look, I'm 30, and I realize it's over...and it is...because no matter how buff you get, and good you look...you're 30 and every year of circling the drain is a little bit closer. You get that body coldness (lose that amazing youthful elasticity in the skin...always tell how old you are by your face...no matter how good the body looks, the face tells no lies) and smell of death... that reminds you that your best years in terms of physical performance, and for most...beauty... are gone, and you'll never experience them again. So kick back, grab a strong drink, cultivate a sense of humor as you slowly decompose, hobbies and wait for the end.

Look, fatold (mike in the tundra), I never claimed to be hot or young. I don't think it's hypocrisy...and I don't see you can establish that.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 18, 2010 3:36:54 AM

17. "looks good for someone about to turn 30". Christ. Thanks for telling us we're past it. One thing I liked about this blog was it seemed to pitch slightly higher than this. And Tank, if you think its over as soon as you turn 30 and you have a "smell of death", you're absolutely right. The negativity and superficiality will smell a mile off...

Posted by: jperth | Oct 18, 2010 4:23:01 AM

18. there are LOTS of guys who are hotter over 30 than when they were younger.

tank, please make an appointment with a psychologist. you've got lots of work to do.

Posted by: r | Oct 18, 2010 4:27:03 AM

19. Tank, get therapy. Quickly!!!! You're a sick man.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Oct 18, 2010 4:48:47 AM

20. Thanks for the mention Steve Pep! As a gay teen living in San Juan, Puerto Rico, Archie comics were such a delightful diversion and gave me escape into a world were teenagers got along even though they came from different backgrounds. I knew Archie was a bit over the top cheesy, but for a struggling gay teen it was a heavenly escape.

I smile thinking about all those young LGBT boys and girls who've been enjoying reading about Archie (and now Kevin Keller) hi-jinks and it brings a big smile to my face.

Posted by: Fausto Fernós | Oct 18, 2010 5:02:56 AM

21. The German chancellor is a bigot? That's ridicuolous and horribly ignorant. Her deputy is an openly gay man, who's wedding/commitment ceremony she attended last year. I don't know why she chose the word "Christian" to refer to German and European values, but I certainly understand what she means by them.

Europe isn't like America. The US is a nation of immigrants, and because EVERYONE is an immigrant in the US, everyone has managed to get on with one another. This is not the case in Europe. Europeans are frustrated by the refusal of immigrants to properly integrate into their societies. Whereas defining American "culture" would be impossible because there are so many different cultures in that country, in Europe, each country has a very clearly defined culture and it is irksome when people migrate and do not adapt this culture. Amsterdam was once the gay capital of Europe, and now, thanks to the non-integration of Muslim immigrants, it is the gay-bashing capital of Europe. North African Muslims have rioted in Paris, etc. Even among European people, there is some tension. In my country, people are annoyed at the refusal of many Polish migrants to learn proper English. Mrs. Merkel has a point, and she's not a bigot.

Posted by: David | Oct 18, 2010 5:09:11 AM

22. Its funny to hear you classify anyone as a douchebag Tank, because by your comment you sound like a prime example of a prissy, judgmental, bitter, unattractive, former twink douchebag.
    I'm better looking at 32 then I ever was in my 20s and have always been attracted to men in their 30s and 40s. I never understood the appeal of the hairless, androgynous twink for many gay men. For those of us that appreciate masculinity and actual mature men, life does indeed go on after 30 and in fact gets better...

Posted by: AdamN | Oct 18, 2010 5:44:24 AM

23. Long live healthy normal looking men.

Posted by: JEFFREY in the Bronx | Oct 18, 2010 6:48:35 AM

24. "Jake Gyllenhaal looks great for someone who is about to hit the big 3-0."

Like my grandmother said: A man doesn't begin to become interesting until he's at least 35.

Posted by: Hank | Oct 18, 2010 9:23:25 AM

25. As far as I'm concerned, George Clooney didn't even start getting handsome until he was over 30, and I'd say he's really hit his stride in the past 10 years. Jon Hamm is pushing 40, and right now he's probably the masculine "ideal" (unless you're into Justin Bieber). Beauty comes in all shapes, sizes, and ages.

Posted by: Dback | Oct 18, 2010 9:27:43 AM