News

News: Republican's Anti-Gay Email, Solar Panels At The White House And Lisa Rinna's Lips

White_house_solar_panels Towlesmall Larry Brown, a state representative from North Carolina, accidentally sent an email last week in which he referred to gay people as "queers" and "fruitloops." "I hope all the queers are thrilled to see him," Republican Brown wrote in an email about how Democratic House Speaker Joe Hackney was receiving an award from the LGBT group Equality NC. "I am sure there will be a couple legislative fruitloops there in the audience."

Towlesmall In addition to the attack at Stonewall Inn over the weekend, there was also an anti-gay assault in Chelsea. What's going on in the Big Apple?

Towlesmall Benjamin Carver, the target in the Stonewall assault, insists the incident doesn't diminish his love for the city and he in fact still loves New York

Towlesmall President Obama will have modest solar panels installed at the White House, just like Jimmy Carter did before him. Carter's were removed by Ronald Reagan.

Towlesmall Advertisements and inserts about medical marijuana may be just what the doctor ordered for ailing newspapers.

Avengers-1-1 Towlesmall Mark Ruffalo, who will play The Hulk in the forthcoming Avengers movie, hinted that their could be an entire trilogy based off comic book team.

Towlesmall The Obama Administration will reportedly donate $4 billion to the Global Fund To Fight AIDS over the course of three years. Experts aren't convinced, however, that it will help make up for a dwindling supply of donations. "It's a modest course correction. It is insufficient based on projected needs and fails to leverage the commitments of other nations." said Paul Zeitz, who's executive director of the Global AIDS Alliance.

Towlesmall Marriage equality activists in Paraguay are optimistic their nation will join neighbor Argentina in approving gay marriages, but will likely have to wait until next year.

Towlesmall After so much fanfare, Republican candidates aren't using the party's "Pledge to America" as part of their campaign.

Towlesmall John C. Nienstedt, Archbishop of the Twin Cities, refused to give gay students communion last month.

Towlesmall Lisa Rinna, whom I'll always love for her work on Days of Our Lives and Melrose Place, has had her famous lips reduced.

Jim_demint_1-1 Towlesmall Human Rights Campaign is still waiting for Sen. Jim DeMint to apologize for saying gay people shouldn't teach.

Towlesmall A new Out and Equal Workplace Survey shows that 78% of heterosexual adults believe gays and lesbians should be judged by their job performance, rather than sex lives. Meanwhile, slightly fewer, 62%, endorse equal benefits for gay employees.

Towlesmall Teen singing sensation Justin Bieber will reportedly host a new incarnation of MTV's Punk'd. Just for the record, I've still never heard this kid's music.

Towlesmall John Polly presents a recap of Logo's gay reality show, The A-List. Did you watch?

Towlesmall The Washington Post offers suggestions on how our nation's schools could be more LGBT-inclusive.

Comments

1. LOGO broadcast something other than Buffy or RuPaul?

Who knew?

Posted by: Jeffrey | Oct 5, 2010 3:27:29 PM

2. So HRC is "waiting" for DeMint to apologize? Really? Waiting? Yeah that should work.

Posted by: David | Oct 5, 2010 3:40:29 PM

3. My facebook status is currently: "If you plan on watching the A-List on Logo please unfriend me."

Posted by: Jonathan | Oct 5, 2010 3:42:21 PM

4. Send NC Representative Larry Brown a message, let him know how you feel about his recent e-mail.
    Phone: 919-733-5607
    Email: Larry.Brown@ncleg.net
    Legislative Mailing Address:
    NC House of Representatives
    300 N. Salisbury Street, Room 609
    Raleigh, NC 27603-5925

Posted by: Dave | Oct 5, 2010 3:46:25 PM

5. Go ahead, call us names. I actually appreciate the honesty.

Posted by: BobN | Oct 5, 2010 3:57:04 PM

6. Replaced "queers" or "fruitloops" with the n-word or anti-Semitic reference and he'll be out of a job. But just because they are anti-gay references, he could possibly get away with it even without apologizing.

Fair?

And Jim Demint can kiss my ass for all I care.

Posted by: gayalltheway | Oct 5, 2010 4:00:32 PM

7. @Jonathan. Great comment!

Why LOGO is airing this drivel about A-List wannabes is beyond me. Even if you subscribe to the A-List, B-List, C-List mantra, no true A-Lister would come near that show or appear in one. They also wouldn't advertise themselves as an A-Lister. Only wannabes do that.

Posted by: jaymax | Oct 5, 2010 4:00:56 PM

8. LOL Jonathan

I tried, tried being totaly objective and open minded to the A-list

I couldn't get through the first 2 minutes before changing the channel

I tried later to flip it back on in the middle to see if it was better. NOPE

I tried and A -list failed miserably. In many ways i was disgusted. Take everything wrong with modern society in general + everything wrong with urban gay culture + stereotypes of gays doing their minstral shows = YUCK

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Oct 5, 2010 4:17:19 PM

9. Andrew...I'm pretty sure you HAVE heard the Bieber. When you hear a song that you swear is Rihanna's voice, but not her style. That's Bieber.

Posted by: Lano | Oct 5, 2010 4:59:20 PM

10. @Jeffrey hahahaha right!? I love love love me some Buffy but I've seen the entire series and I can only take so much Ru. Occasionally they air episodes of Queer as Folk but it's usually quite late and quite edited, as well as being out of order, so I just gave up and found them on line (fabulous show, btw). Haven't gotten to the A list yet and I'm not sure if I can.

Posted by: SKOC211 | Oct 5, 2010 5:02:15 PM

11. The story about a Republican state legislator's hate speech is important enough that it warranted its own post.

Posted by: Patric | Oct 5, 2010 5:04:34 PM

12. So the gay bashers family and girlfriend come to their defense, what a shock. One's lesbian sister is so in denial, how could he bash when I'm gay? Easy, he's as fucked up as you are.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Oct 5, 2010 5:34:03 PM

13. Listen, I am annoyed by grammar police as much as the next guy, but...

"Mark Ruffalo, who will play The Hulk in the forthcoming Avengers movie, hinted that their could be an entire trilogy based off comic book team."

Rethink this, please.

Posted by: timgunnsuncle | Oct 5, 2010 5:36:08 PM

14. TimGunnsUncle, I think it's safe to say that you clearly are not "annoyed by grammar police as much as the next guy" (unless the next guy is the ghost of William Buckley).

Posted by: Patric | Oct 5, 2010 6:07:48 PM

15. I am waiting for the supposedly "more gay friendly" GOP party to reject the views of Senator DeMint and Congressman Brown. Where is the outrage at their bigoted comments?

Posted by: JoeInSF | Oct 5, 2010 6:28:05 PM

16. "Teen singing sensation Justin Bieber ... Just for the record, I've still never heard this kid's music."

Lucky you.

Posted by: Mark from NYC | Oct 5, 2010 6:43:09 PM

17. I wish I was cool enough to pretend that I've never heard any music by Justin Bieber!

Posted by: allnighter | Oct 5, 2010 6:44:57 PM

18. In regards to Larry Brown, don't gay people use the word "queer?" Is that the new n-word? We can use it freely but heaven forbid if a straight person uses it? (i.e. "Queer as Folk"). If "we" use it, expect "them" to use it. Frankly I hate the word and don't like it at all when I hear our own using it. But not as much as when I hear one man call another man "girl."

@Jeffrey - just wait, Buffy-TV is slowly becoming Nip/Tuck-TV. And RuPaul? I dare them to put those shows in HD, damn they are blurry now. I really have trouble watchhing any channel that's not HD these days - spoiled I guess.

Posted by: Craig | Oct 5, 2010 8:15:48 PM

19. just walked out of a bar with yet another drag show when the "performer" started yelling: "let's make some noise, queers!"

Posted by: niles | Oct 5, 2010 8:23:30 PM

20. Fuck no, I didn't watch the A-List. Those guys are considered A-list? What has the world come to?

As far as Sen. Jim DeMint, the HRC shouldn't hold their breath. He shouldn't have to apologize. He's entitled to his opinion, however fucked up it is.

Posted by: marcus | Oct 5, 2010 11:43:46 PM

21. There is no A-List. That is a designation of ridiculous queens who actually believe they are they are special. In NYC, none of those creepy people even knew of the really good nights and clubs when I was there. And believe me, they would not have made it into the real choice nights.

I don't expect much more than rotting, moronic crumbs on the floor from the pathetic LOGO channel, but this is a new low. Narcissistic, shallow, vain, idiotic, vacuous, ridiculous (I could go on) queens act like they are the worst of 12-year old girls. I watched to see if truly was a train-wreck.

Gay kids, it does get better! But not by watching these pathetic losers. Please, find role models, but not the clueless scum of Chelsea.

As a gay man, I'm embarrassed. The nasty people running LOGO are dragging gay people back to the gay Stone Age.

By the halfway mark of this horrid show, even I wanted to do some gay bashing.

Posted by: slatefish | Oct 6, 2010 1:03:37 AM

22. Please attend tonight's vigil at 25th and 9th! Come stand with us:

Posted by: Jack | Oct 6, 2010 5:49:25 AM

23. Wow, didn't even know LOGO was still around. Who exactly is their target audience? I honestly don't know a single person who watches Logo.

Posted by: ThomT | Oct 6, 2010 12:17:32 PM