One Day This Kid Will…

Wojnarowicz

Tyler Green at Modern Art Notes posts this David Wojnarowicz piece and notes that it seems especially relevant at the moment. He writes:

Twenty years ago, Wojnarowicz made this piece, Untitled (One day this kid…). He made it as a 30 3/4-inch X 41-inch photostat, but it’s probably gained more cultural currency as a postcard available at just about every progressive bookstore in New York.  This seems like a good time to post it. It also seems like a good time to suggest you visit and support GLSENand that you share Wojnarowicz’s work with, well, everyone you can think of. Especially young people, all of them."

Wojnarowicz died of AIDS-related complications in 1992.

Comments

1. Brian in Texas says

I saw this as part of the “Because We Are” exhibit at the Station Museum of Art in Houston last month. Definitely see it if it comes to your area!

2. Tom says

@CHRIS – This guy was fighting the fight when you were still in dipies, whether actual or intellectual. Don’t forget the time and place. Then consider that he will have done more for our civil rights than many. Instead of casting stones at those who came before, see what they accomplished, be inspired, and continue the evolution. With that said, I’m going to go lay my naked body on top of my boyfriend’s.

3. candide says

David’s emotionally powerful works will continue to move people far longer than Edelman’s fragile, overly intellectualized cobwebs. I even find that David’s technical limitations often add to the power of his work (e.g., Rimbaud in New York).

4. ant says

i remember this from when it was first distributed. there is nothing sentimental about it – like there was not a sentimental bone in DW’s body. it’s stark reality, without all the fake bs intellectualism that some folks seem to crave.

5. Paul R says

Sure, maybe it seems sappy until you get attacked, as I did Monday. The guy called me a fucking faggot and strangled me from behind, knocking me unconscious. Then he and his accomplices stole my wallet and house keys. I have injuries all over my body. And I’m more than six feet tall, so I thought I was pretty safe from such attacks.

Luckily I live in San Francisco and they’re taking it very seriously. Already caught the main guy and he’s in prison without bail, facing six felonies and three misdemeanors, so more than three years in jail. So yeah, this is still quite relevant today.

6. kodiak says

David was an amazing visual artist and a great writer. I recommend anyone not familiar with his work to google him, go to the library get one of his books, catalogs, etc. Well worth the time spent. I feel sad that he spent the end of his life producing artworks that were an expression of an all consuming rage that was inflicted upon him by society. But more than rage, there is power here in his works. I wish he was still here.