Crime | New York

One Suspect In Brutal Bronx Attack Still At Large

Bronx
Some of the youths involved in the horrific torture of three gay men in the Bronx now say that they had no choice but to participate or else risk being harmed themselves. The New York Daily News reports:

The members of a sadistic Bronx crew accused of torturing a man and two teens because they were gay claimed the gang's leaders forced them to participate - or become victims themselves.

Police sources said several members of the Latin King Goonies told detectives they would have been slashed and beaten if they did not help torment the defenseless victims.

The threats were allegedly made by ringleader Ildefonso (Cheto) Mendez, who orchestrated the homophobic assaults after learning that a 17-year-old gang recruit was gay. That recruit was made to watch as they sodomized his older boyfriend with a miniature baseball bat - and the teen was then forced to burn his lover with cigarettes. The gangbangers sodomized the third victim, also 17, with the wooden handle of a toilet plunger.

Ruddy It's being reported that some of the gang members went to so far as to disguise their appearance by shaving their heads in order to evade arrest. A ninth suspect, Ruddy Vargas-Perez (pictured right), is still at large.

This bit about suspect Bryan Almonte is from an article in The New York Times: "Genesis Suarez, who is 15, pregnant and referred to herself as Steven Caraballo’s wife, said Bryan Almonte was her sister’s boyfriend. 'If you bother him he gets mad, like everybody,' she said of Bryan. 'But he’s a good guy.'”

Also frmo that same article are reactions from Mayor Bloomberg and Christine Quinn:

“Like many New Yorkers, I was sickened by these antigay crimes,” Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said Saturday afternoon. “The heartless men who committed these crimes should know that New Yorkers will not tolerate them.”

Christine C. Quinn, the City Council speaker, who is gay, added: “These crimes are not jokes. They are not games. They are things that eat away at the fabric of our city.”

Watch a video of the Bronx community coming together by distributing fliers related to the search of the suspects, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Hopefully, there will be justice. I am disheartened by the 'blame the victim' type of comments in the previous post. No one deserves to have that happen to them in America. Their human rights were violated. Hopefully, we can avoid those types of comments in the future.

Posted by: Clark | Oct 10, 2010 4:39:42 PM

2. I can't help but think that, to some degree, this attack was conditioned by the previous presidential administration and its supporters pretending that torture is justifiable.

I hope these children learn that when a "leader" bullies them into some act, they remain personally responsible for that act and that the best response is to overthrow such a "leader." "Leaders" exist, after all, because people choose to follow them.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Oct 10, 2010 5:10:41 PM

3. Chuck: The current administration in D.C. also tortures it's enemies. It is carrying on where the previous administration left off.

Anyway, your extrapolation is far fetched.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 10, 2010 6:43:41 PM

4. These dudes are prime candidates for kidnapping charges. A very serious charge, if convicted of, delivers a hard prison sentence. The criminal charges against them, gay civil rights violations aside, are very serious.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 10, 2010 6:46:27 PM

5. @Ratbastard what proof of that do you have? I guess your name suits you.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Oct 10, 2010 6:52:28 PM

6. I went to school in the Bronx and parts of it are actually quite nice but there was more than one occasion where I found myself extremely uncomfortable walking back to my apartment at night, and even one night where a friend and I were assaulted by some locals. I got away relatively unharmed but my friend was punched in the face with brass knuckles and ended up needing surgery on his eye. I'm not sure if it was because I'm a skinny blonde gay boy and he's a skinny hipster (totally straight but I'm sure we could have looked like a couple), or maybe it was just an attempt at a random mugging, but it was the most terrifying experience of my life.

This is such a disgusting and heinous crime but I'm relieved that almost all of the suspects have been caught and happy that the community came together to help get them. The Bronx gets a bad rap, and parts of it are still horrid, but other than that one incident and some uncomfortable late night walks I really enjoyed my time there.

Posted by: SKOC211 | Oct 10, 2010 7:02:15 PM

7. Brian In Tx.

If that happened to you-
    What would you say?

Great- it's ok?

Posted by: deen | Oct 10, 2010 8:03:23 PM

8. Shannon my dear more than likely they're Puerto Ricans and they are AMERICANS!

Ok Madame KKK Gay!

Posted by: RED DEVIL | Oct 10, 2010 8:43:48 PM

9. Brian in Texas....
    There is pleanty of proof out there that not only is the Obama Admin continuing renditions, both the Washington Post, and New York Times have reported on it, but the DOJ is using the defense of State Secrets to stop people who have been tortured from bringing suit. Then there is the case of Anwar Awlaki, an American Citizen who Obama has targeted for killing, without charge or trial...you know that thing called due process of law?
    And when his father tried to bring suit, the DOJ once again claimed State Secrets to stop the case from going forward. And before some BS starts about my being a Republican, I am a Democrat who has never voted for a Republican in my life. Just because I am a Democrat doesn't mean I have to be an apologist for them!

Posted by: Bobo | Oct 10, 2010 8:58:05 PM

10. Mr. Ruddy Vargas-Perez, turn yourself in, be a real man, take responsibility and change your life...
    you have a different kind of "coming out" to do.
    until you do this, you are nothing more than a slave...
    make yourself free.
    I see you.

Posted by: designingwally | Oct 10, 2010 9:01:24 PM

11. Hopefully someone will find this poor excuse for a human and explain what an eye for an eye really means!Prison time is not enough for people like this.We need to take these people and do the same to them.Then send them to prison to be someones bitch!

Posted by: Jay | Oct 10, 2010 10:48:24 PM

12. Sadly, there are some who will accept this "I was too afraid to do anything to stop it" defense. And that is how evil gets to thrive. Sympathy is for those who deserve it. These excuses for human life, do not.

Posted by: Reggie | Oct 11, 2010 1:18:10 AM

13. A lot of gay anal sex awaits them in prison.

Posted by: Philip Huang | Oct 11, 2010 1:39:00 AM

14. Somebody shove that Andrew Belonsky into the cell with them. They deserve each other's company.

Posted by: JT | Oct 11, 2010 4:50:08 AM

15. I wonder how many of these guys and others are motivated to commit acts of violence after reading or hearing the hate message of the right wing church- the ones who preach the "good news." How much more before total chaos erupts in this country???

Posted by: rickg | Oct 11, 2010 5:38:56 AM

16. Hate speech on the street incites ignorant thugs, who believe their violent attacks on gays are justified. This will not end until hate speech against gays becomes as unacceptable as hate speech against blacks, Jews, women, Hispanics, and every other oppressed community. We cannot outlaw free speech, but we can make hate speech less popular by adopting gay rights legislation and by passing and enforcing laws against hate crimes. When it's no longer acceptable, most morons will stop doing it, just as most morons stopped attacking blacks and using the n-word once civil rights and hate crime legislation made society's disapproval clear.

As for the compulsion defense -- I was forced to torture my victim -- it didn't work at Nuremberg, either.

Posted by: wimsy | Oct 11, 2010 10:16:16 AM

17. I Hope every one of them is tried as an adult as this crime warrants, and each gets a long prison sentence.

Posted by: darkmoonman | Oct 11, 2010 10:57:37 AM

18. Anti-Gay attackers with tweezed eyebrows? This was clearly foreplay gone wrong. Only in the Bronx.

Posted by: SSCHIEFRSHA | Oct 11, 2010 11:02:06 AM

19. the bronx the home of ruben diaz a bigoted hatemonger who spew venom against gays from the pulpit of his church and the state senate.

Posted by: walter | Jul 17, 2011 7:26:48 AM