Discrimination | Gay Rights | News | Religion

BigGayDeal.com

Right Wing Radio Host David Barton: Government Should 'Regulate Homosexuality'

Davidbartonevangelical

Evangelical radio host David Barton wondered yesterday why the United States, with its various governmental branches, doesn't start "regulating homosexuality."

We have a Department of Health and Human Services; we have health care bills; we have health insurance and we’re trying to stop all unhealthy things so we’re going after transfats and we’re going after transparency in labeling to make sure we get all the healthy stuff in there," said Barton, a Christian nationalist who backed Florida Congressional hopeful Dan Webster, inadvertently providing the subtext for Democratic Rep. Alan Grayson's "Taliban" attack ad.

Barton, a frequent guest on Glenn Beck's program, continued with his extreme logic: "So if I go to the Centers for Disease Control and I’m concerned about health, I find some interesting stats there and this should tell me something about health. Homosexual/bisexual individuals are seven times to contemplate or commit suicide. Oooh, that doesn’t sound very healthy. Homosexuals die decades earlier than heterosexuals. That doesn’t sound healthy."

His conservative conclusion? "[Gays] go through all this stuff, sounds to me like that’s not very healthy. Why don’t we regulate homosexuality?"

The many candidates and politicians with whom Barton has worked, including Marco Rubio, Newt Gingrich and Sharron Angle, should be asked what they think of his plan, especially in relation to the Tea Party's small government ideology.

Comments

1. "I would like the last of the kings to be strangled by the guts of the last priest -- Denis Diderot

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 6, 2010 5:40:13 PM

2. Yeah, Hitler regulated the Jews. And the day the gov't puts a Pink Triangle on my person is the day I pick up arms and defend my right to live.

Posted by: miKem | Oct 6, 2010 6:05:18 PM

3. Here's a novel idea. How about regulating people like him being allowed to procreate.
    Too many ignorant people making baby's who in turn grow up to be ignorant people making baby's and on and on and on ad nauseum.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 6, 2010 6:07:21 PM

4. Come on, people. Did you not look at the picture? I'm surprised he's had a cock out of his mouth long enough to say anything!

Posted by: Skeptical Cicada | Oct 6, 2010 4:30:33 PM

Yepp, he looks like a country queen

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Oct 6, 2010 6:14:32 PM

5. I think we should regulate idiot breeders like this!Lets start by castrating this stupid fuck so he wont procreate!People like this are the reasons kids commit suicide.

Posted by: Jay | Oct 6, 2010 6:39:41 PM

6. Correct. He looks like a secret fag to me as well.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 6, 2010 6:50:26 PM

7. That is a severe case of Gay Face, he has got going.

Posted by: TheRealist | Oct 6, 2010 6:59:09 PM

8. I propose we ignore him and make him go away. However, he was probably denigrating regulation more than homosexuality. As in, if we can't regulate H we can't regulate transfat either. Otherwise, he would be in favor of regulating both, which I doubt.

Posted by: anon | Oct 6, 2010 7:32:20 PM

9. I swear, there are days where it sounds like the right wing hold secret contests in douchebaggery with big cash prizes.

Posted by: jexer | Oct 6, 2010 8:00:38 PM

10. NICE GAYFACE!!! WHAT A CLOSET QUEER...

Posted by: alan brickman | Oct 6, 2010 8:22:44 PM

11. Regulate? Starting to feel like 1930's Germany.

Posted by: Brian | Oct 6, 2010 8:52:40 PM

12. With people like this guy (and Angle and ODonnell and Paladino) no wonder I don't sleep like I used to.

Posted by: Geoff | Oct 6, 2010 9:53:27 PM

13. I'm not American, nor do I follow American politics, but it seems to me that you are already "regulated"

Posted by: Lee | Oct 7, 2010 11:05:52 AM

14. I want to be the chief inspector of handsome young men in the Office of Homo Control

Posted by: wimsy | Oct 7, 2010 11:30:34 AM

15. Another evangelical ass-wipe. He's spewing the latest evangie-con propaganda that gay men are "disease-ridden" and have life-expectancies half of those for heterosexual men. As for the suicide rate claim, Barton the Butt-boy tosses out the "7 times more likely to commit suicide" lie without once considering that if that stat is true (it is not), then maybe it's the homophobia against and repression of gays that are responsible. All those "statistics" are made-up. Their source actually are the AFA and the FRC with a little help from various rightist "think tanks" whose clear agenda is to make LGBT people seem as vile and disgusting as possible. Makes me want to go postal.

Posted by: jamal49 | Oct 7, 2010 2:54:46 PM

16. Dollars to donuts he would leave airport restrooms free from regulating.

Posted by: oliver | Oct 8, 2010 5:20:28 AM

17. 100% of wives in abusive marriages are abused by their husbands. Bearing a child can result in many health risks (and sometimes death) that women who choose not to have children do not experience. Seems like those need to be regulated too.

Just for the record, contemplating suicide and committing suicide are two different things. So that "seven times" quote is misleading. I have contemplated suicide (due to depression) but I have not attempted not committed actual suicide. Of course, if you tell people that the feelings they have, through not fault of their own, and which they are not able to control, are bad and evil and perverted, then naturally, many of them may consider suicide.

Posted by: Charles | Oct 10, 2010 10:03:32 AM

18. Can we take all these books on the left and on the right and hit him over the head with them? He won't be smarter but it's a start.

Posted by: Igor | Oct 11, 2010 8:05:37 AM