Anderson Cooper | CNN | Gay Media | Vince Vaughn

Universal Pulls Vaughn's 'Gay' Line After Anderson Cooper Comment

Andersoncooper-1 Earlier this week, while discussing anti-gay bullying with Ellen DeGeneres, CNN's Anderson Cooper voiced his disapproval of a line in the trailer for an upcoming Vince Vaughn movie, The Dilemma.

"Do you find it surprising that people still tell gay jokes? I mean, that people still use the 'F' word, that people still use that term, you know, 'Oh, that's so gay?'" Cooper asked DeGeneres, before offering his personal take: "I went to a movie theater this weekend, and a preview for a new movie, a new Vince Vaughn movie, in the preview, he uses the term. And it just shocked me that not only would they put this in the movie but that they would put this in the preview, that they didn't even think this might offend some people."

Cooper concluded, "I think it should offend a lot of people."

Though Cooper's comment went unnoticed for a few days, the news blew up this morning, leading Universal Pictures to hastily yank Vaughn's line, "Ladies and Gentlemen, electric cars are so gay," from the trailer.

The studio released the following statement, "The teaser trailer for The Dilemma was not intended to cause anyone discomfort. In light of growing claims that the introduction to the trailer is insensitive, it is being replaced. A full trailer, which has been in the works for some time, will post online later today."

Gay group GLAAD has been catching some heat for allegedly having seen and approved of the trailer. The group, however, insists it asked Universal to remove the scene. The studio clearly didn't listen, and it took Cooper to get the job done. Is this more proof Cooper, who just confirmed a daytime show, will be the next Oprah?

Comments

1. coming out, especially for media folk, is important. anderson being closeted is more damaging to young gay men and women than calling an electric car gay.

Posted by: Keith | Oct 8, 2010 3:55:24 PM

2. Anderson sure does seem to be creeping out of the closet. If he's going to be doing a show that's exclusively based in a studio, he's bound to come out -- and probably in short order.

I give Cooper a lot of slack for staying in the closet until now. For several years, he's been flying all over the globe, covering important stories in areas not particularly hospitable for out-and-proud gays.

Posted by: anyway | Oct 8, 2010 4:05:29 PM

3. Well, I did say it was "tantamount" to censorship. I'm aware what literal censorship is, thank you. This was pressure to change an artistic (or commercial) decision.

Hmm, now that I think about it, I have no objection to public pressure for a commercial decision, but lots of objection to public pressure against an artistic decision. Which side does a Vince Vaughn movie come down on?

Heheh, I guess I withdraw my objection.

Posted by: Zlick | Oct 8, 2010 4:12:29 PM

4. Yeh, I'm with you on your last point. If this was an Almodovar film that was independently produced, it would indeed require deeper thinking.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 8, 2010 4:26:35 PM

5. hollywood is a homophobic institution run by
    closeted individuals, who don't have the balls to stop it. it revolves around money and the making of it. maybe if some of the closeted big shots would step up to the plate and do the right thing things would get better but until then there will be no change. as to ac he will come out in his own way but in the meantime is doing more for LGBT people than any of the groups ie glaad hrc or others. thank him

Posted by: walter | Oct 8, 2010 4:30:00 PM

6. Are you kidding me?.

"That's so gay..". is SOOOO not offensive..(actually, it's almost a compliment in my book)

We can't be offended by every little thing. I mean, really?!..

Posted by: Dan | Oct 8, 2010 4:48:22 PM

7. Anderson is the new Oprah -- and ben is the new Gayle.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 8, 2010 4:51:46 PM

8. True. We can't be offended by every little suicide. I mean, really?!..

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 8, 2010 4:53:40 PM

9. LAGuy:

No offense directed personally at you, but,your business is NOTORIOUS for it's homophobia and anti-gay hate. The same can be said for the music industry. IRONIC indeed considering the LARGE number of gay and bi actors, musicians and industry insiders.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 8, 2010 5:06:31 PM

10. Look at ANYTHING out of Hollywood pre 1980-90's, even A LOT after that, including in 2010, that touches on gays and it's painful. Fucked up cross dressing serial killers, lisps, and what not. I'm only in my 30's and remember growing up 99.9% of the portrayals of homosexuals and bisexuals in movies and TV were negative. MOST popular music (rock, hip hop, etc.,) were and are likewise negative and mocking.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 8, 2010 5:11:50 PM

11. It's really only a recent phenomena that the entertainment industry, in particular cable, TV, and movies, have attempted to portray gays as 'normal'. This is not out of the kindness of their hearts or because they've suddenly seen the light, but because mass marketing cable, TV shows and movies no longer works, and they're forced to engage in niche marketing for $.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 8, 2010 5:17:20 PM

12. christ, zlick, you're simply not a bright guy if you think that this is even remotely like censorship. Breeder logic, though: "My freedom to persecute is inviolable!"

Posted by: TANK | Oct 8, 2010 5:25:47 PM

13. Good for Anderson Cooper. I fucking HATE that "dude...that's just gay" crap in movies and television. When I hear some character, for instance, on "Rules of Engagement" or "Two and a Half Men" toss off that "that's just gay" thing, it pisses me off. The writers on these series are allegedly supposed to be professionals...and the only reference they can come up with to say something is bad it to call it "gay"? It's ignorant, and yes, homophobic.

Posted by: Terry | Oct 8, 2010 5:31:50 PM

14. Until Anderson sits on the edge of a orchestra pit and sings "Born in a Truck" some girls will always be crabby.

Posted by: Tom | Oct 8, 2010 5:35:53 PM

15. Well, Tank (whom I can't think of a better nickname for than the one you've chosen for yourself), I LIKENED it to censorship - that's a difference ... and clarified my position.

Here's another one. Let's get over it.

"That's so gay" is 99x out of a hundred not meant to offend. I get why it's potentially offensive, but it's an evolution of language just like the word "gay" itself.

Anyway, I try not to use it around people with noticeably thin skin, but it really comes in handy. The Eskimos, as the story goes, have 20 words for snow. "That's so gay" expresses something particular that no other phrase quite captures. I guess I feel I've a license to use it because I'm gay (despite Tank's assertions to the contrary), but also feel like I should refrain to set a better example. I use it less and less, but I'm also forgiving of people who say it. It's no giant deal.

(Of course, if there were a similar phrase using the name of group to which I do not belong, I would never utter it. So I guess this is just in the vein of poking a little fun at myself - which I think is rather healthy.)

Posted by: Zlick | Oct 8, 2010 5:44:56 PM

16. Vince Vaughn? In the words of Carly Fiorina, "That's so yesterday."

Posted by: jakeinlove | Oct 8, 2010 5:48:43 PM

17. Universal would be wiser to dump the entire movie which from the trailer looks like a total looser- I had to sit through this thing and no ONE in the theater laughed once! A very bad sign for a "comedy". ( and the only people who hate Anderson Cooper are jealous losers)

Posted by: jaragon | Oct 8, 2010 5:52:49 PM

18. "Art should offend people because art should challenge people." -Eriq La Salle

Raise all the commotion you'd like, but you'll still find (and should find) offensive slurs and derogatory terms in movies. Once we start limiting the depths of characters (granted, I'm sure that Vince Vaughn's character has little depth), we limit the artistic integrity of a work.

And this issue was obviously resolved based on the bottom line, how things like this are always resolved. They knew they would lose money if they didn't pull it.

Posted by: Drew | Oct 8, 2010 6:00:04 PM

19. Did I stutter? No. I posted that this simply isn't like censorship in any way, and you're not very bright for thinking that it shares any parallels, or is...tantamount to it...lol! It appears, now, that you are denying the homophobic origin of the expression, "that's so gay"...With all due respect, you are a complete moron.

Now fuck off, lightweight.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 8, 2010 6:02:08 PM

20. I mean...really...anyone who thinks that this is even remotely like censorship (which isn't what someone who would use 'tantamount' to characterize it as so believes) must've wept openly when dr. laura was viciously "censored" and taken down by the "thought police". Some of you are just subcognitive. It's a miracle that you can string together words to form quasi coherent sentences expressing this sewer of thought.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 8, 2010 6:08:26 PM

21. Congratulations to Anderson Cooper on this significant accomplishment in public language and perception!

Posted by: Jim | Oct 8, 2010 6:36:20 PM

22. I think being insulted by Tank, to paraphrase Robert Preston in Victor/Victor, is significantly better than being thrown out of a leper colony.

And what do "origins" have to do with it? Gay is now a word that has little to do with its origins. It doesn't matter much what the origins of "That's so gay" are, but what the phrase means today. Some people think it's still homophobic, I happen to disagree.

In light of reasonable people feeling offended though, it's best not to use the phrase. Snow can be described 19 other ways, I guess.

Posted by: Zlick | Oct 8, 2010 6:47:18 PM

23. I am very glad this bullsh*t was caught. Saturday Night Live recently used "gay" in the same way, and it was so insanely offensive, and **HARMFUL**. This kind of stuff tortures and scars young gay people. It is a factor in their suicides.

Posted by: think for half a second vince vaughn | Oct 8, 2010 6:56:00 PM

24. So if I use the 'n' word, and mean hair drier...it's not offensive. Smart.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 8, 2010 7:03:30 PM

25. And what does it mean today...hmmm, stupid, bad, etc...and, of course, these have never been used to describe homosexuality such that its use continues to reinforce negative and false judgments about gay people...oy...you just ain't that quick...and your argument's gay as hell.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 8, 2010 7:07:03 PM