Anderson Cooper | CNN | Gay Media | Vince Vaughn

BigGayDeal.com

Universal Pulls Vaughn's 'Gay' Line After Anderson Cooper Comment

Andersoncooper-1 Earlier this week, while discussing anti-gay bullying with Ellen DeGeneres, CNN's Anderson Cooper voiced his disapproval of a line in the trailer for an upcoming Vince Vaughn movie, The Dilemma.

"Do you find it surprising that people still tell gay jokes? I mean, that people still use the 'F' word, that people still use that term, you know, 'Oh, that's so gay?'" Cooper asked DeGeneres, before offering his personal take: "I went to a movie theater this weekend, and a preview for a new movie, a new Vince Vaughn movie, in the preview, he uses the term. And it just shocked me that not only would they put this in the movie but that they would put this in the preview, that they didn't even think this might offend some people."

Cooper concluded, "I think it should offend a lot of people."

Though Cooper's comment went unnoticed for a few days, the news blew up this morning, leading Universal Pictures to hastily yank Vaughn's line, "Ladies and Gentlemen, electric cars are so gay," from the trailer.

The studio released the following statement, "The teaser trailer for The Dilemma was not intended to cause anyone discomfort. In light of growing claims that the introduction to the trailer is insensitive, it is being replaced. A full trailer, which has been in the works for some time, will post online later today."

Gay group GLAAD has been catching some heat for allegedly having seen and approved of the trailer. The group, however, insists it asked Universal to remove the scene. The studio clearly didn't listen, and it took Cooper to get the job done. Is this more proof Cooper, who just confirmed a daytime show, will be the next Oprah?

Comments

1. For me it says that, once again, GLAAD failed. That should be the story. They either have no real power or they weren't paying attention. Where does all the money go?

Posted by: Sam I Am | Oct 8, 2010 7:33:34 PM

2. nice work Andy...now just come out won't you?

Posted by: chris | Oct 8, 2010 8:56:04 PM

3. But will they remove the line from the actual movie?

Posted by: Keith | Oct 8, 2010 9:34:11 PM

4. I applaud Anderson Cooper for his remarks.

And, damn, he gets better looking everyday.

The photo of him on this post is smoking hot.

Posted by: Todd | Oct 8, 2010 10:09:25 PM

5. Dire Straits, Money for Nothing..."that little faggot with the mink coat, that little faggot is a millionaire."

Where's the uproar?

I agree with Steve. "That's so gay", is not particularily offensive. The phrase has changed once again and doesn't necessarily describe "homosexual".
    I'm openly gay and own a construction company. My employees use "That's so gay" around me and I couldn't care less. To them it means lame, cheesy, stupid or annoying. I've even used it myself.
    However, if someone called me a faggot, you can rest assured that any one of my guys would come to my defense. The straight men in my life are far more supportive and protective of me than I could have ever hoped for.
    Take the words for what they mean, and where they come from, not the words themselves.

Posted by: Sean | Oct 9, 2010 7:51:39 AM

6. I saw the social network last night, and the line was still in.

Posted by: JP | Oct 9, 2010 9:29:41 AM

7. I for one think we are being too sensitive . I was around in San Francisco when the "GAY" word became popular , I did not like it then and do not like it now . If I were to see this movie and that line came up I would chortle a bit and let it go. Me thinks A.C. is becoming too sensitive to his position , you can see the "I know everything in his eyes" (getting too big for his skinny ass.) With all the hate crimes going on , the rhetoric is embarrassing with no solutions offered!! I say we should have monitors in the schools who are the biggest problems and report the teachers who let the bullying go on. And check out the homes to see if mom and dad are bullys There are plenty of homosexual couples who would be glad to adopt little Freddy to let him grow up to his full potential. We are going to have to get mean before this thing will get better. Arm yourselves when you go out on the insane streets of today And if nothing is done then expose the bullys for what they are. The monitors would be from a homosexual based group in the town they are needed. All these celebrities don't make anything happen it will have to be us who are on the street.

Posted by: yaaah69 | Oct 9, 2010 11:05:03 AM

8. "not meant to offend" and yet it's still absolutely flat-out offensive.

It's exactly like someone saying "He jewed me out of $5.... Oh, I didn't mean anything anti-semitic by that!" Well, then, stop using "jew" that way.

Use of "gay" as in "that's so gay" or "parents-chaperoning gay" is highly offensive to most actual gay people. Those kinds of thoughtless slurs are absolutely a factor in bullying and suicides.

Vince Vaughn, Ron Howard, and the author of the line should be extremely ashamed of their rather incredible thoughtlessness.

Thank you, Anderson, for saying something. Long, long, long overdue.

PS to Anderson: Now please continue to come out. A role model like you will help stop the bullying.

PPS: "Saturday Night Live" used "gay" in the "that's so gay" way recently. F*cking infuriating. No, it is absolutely, positively NOT OK to use "gay" as a "generic derogatory."

Posted by: Ian | Oct 9, 2010 11:09:35 AM

9. @crispy

Censorship has NEVER originated in the government. It has a always been the result of a minority group be they homosexual or evangelical...

Ever read Bradbury? The government doesn't need to censor when there are a bunch of overzealous idiots running around with lit matches burning everything that offends them. Keep restricting expression bit by bit though. Just don't cry about it when everything is bland and thoughtless as a result.

Posted by: Eric | Oct 9, 2010 11:23:06 AM

10. @Tank

Censorship begins with unreasonable zealots insisting that someone else abridge their creation in order to make others more comfortable. You certainly don't understand how the death of expression begins. Whether it is some Christian coalition railing against the depiction of their savior, blacks insisting that Huck Finn be banned or changed or homosexuals insisting that the term gay be taken out of a movie, censorship always begins there.

You are as narrow minded and illogical as the people on the Christian right insisting on making our lives hell. Zealotry comes in all flavors. Even very fashionabe ones.

Posted by: Eric | Oct 9, 2010 11:51:35 AM

11. Everyone is always offended by something today. No news so lets just bitch piss and moan about something day. No-one tells a gay person to kill themselves when they get bullied. I was bullied and I am still here!

Posted by: AGH | Oct 9, 2010 12:00:54 PM

12. Bully for those of you for whom "that's so gay" is no big deal. Words are powerful when we give them power. And uses and meanings can change. For example, calling something "sick" is a compliment in some circles. I get it. But not everyone feels the power to pick and choose how words affect them. Right now, "that's so gay" is never used as a compliment. And bullies, consciously and intentionally, use this phrase along with faggot and other pejoratives to diminish the power of others. Until "that's so gay" becomes a compliment, and until bullied kids stop killing themselves, I am going to have to use this bully pulpit to preach against it's use.

Posted by: TJ | Oct 9, 2010 12:56:17 PM

13. Eric, you have no leg to stand on. First, this was a bigoted, antigay line. And I'm sorry that people just don't understand that, especially gay people. It just proves that gays aren't any more intelligent than anyone else. I'm sure that there black people who argued that terminology that disparages and puts them down is okay...just sad people, really.

And no, this was a choice by a private company to modify its property, and for good reason... It was a business decision, not censorship. Ironically, you seem to want to defend Dr. Laura against her "evil oppressors," too.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 9, 2010 12:56:28 PM

14. AGH - your experience is not all experience

Posted by: TJ | Oct 9, 2010 12:59:28 PM

15. @tank

That's right. Just keep recklessly running around and tearing a page out of anythhing that makes you uncomfortable. Just don't cry when someone tears a page out of your books.

This is exactly how censorship starts. With the minority group upset about something and insisting it change to accomodate their sensibilities. It will simply give the next burn happy zealot precedent to censor your works.

To paraphrase Ray Bradbury. If you don't like a piece of art, make your own or ignore it. The moment you start demanding that an artist change their work, you become just another damned book burner.

Posted by: Eric | Oct 9, 2010 1:07:11 PM

16. It is no surprise that there are overzealous idiots in the LGBT community too. I thank you, Tank, for proving that narrow minded zealotry transcends sexuality. The day when no one has anything of meaning to say will come because of the efforts of people like you.

Posted by: Eric | Oct 9, 2010 1:12:23 PM

17. You can let your opinion be known by ignoring yet another idiotic and generic romcom.... However, most Americans with a brain ignore these shitfests anyway so it may not be saying much.

Posted by: Eric | Oct 9, 2010 1:15:48 PM

18. Yes, it's narrowminded zealotry to oppose casual homophobia in a likely unwatchable comedy. This isn't art... Especially in light of the media attention that antigay bullying and the broader social context in which it is encouraged and vindicated has received as of late. Uh huh...keep fuckin' that chicken.

And no, it's not that it makes me uncomfortable. Very little if anything can do that. This isn't some first amendment crusade: this is bigotry and the decisions of a private concern to tone it down in light of backlash. Feel free to prostrate yourself under slogans like "meaning change" to evade the antigay values that such terms reinforce. I suppose if one were oblivious to the history and use of the 'n' word, and used it to describe...shall we say, a television remote (LOL!)...it would be fine.

it proves, if anything, that there exist a healthy contingent of gays for whom oppression has become a way of life, and they would miss it if it were addressed.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 9, 2010 1:20:09 PM

19. And censorship isn't automatically bad, wherever and whenever it is applied (which wouldn't be in this case, to remind you)...that's an abuse of language. Anyone touting that has an extremely misguided agenda.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 9, 2010 1:21:44 PM

20. @Eric - zealots come in all shapes and sizes. In your zealotry to defend against the slippery slope of censorship, are there no lines you would draw? Freedom goes hand in hand with responsibility ( or so courts have ruled).

Posted by: TJ | Oct 9, 2010 2:25:43 PM

21. The "electric cars are gay" comment isn't really any worse than things I see or hear in the community anyway. If you haven't seen the term "str8 acting only" or "no fems", you haven't cruised.

If he was saying electric cars are effeminate, it is synched with a pretty large bias already present among the gay community as well.

Regardless, they have the right to put it in their stupid movie and you have the right to speak against it. What you do not have the right to do is force them to stop. They have the same right to use the term gay any way they feel just like you can throw "breeder" at every heterosexual that disagrees with you.

Posted by: Eric | Oct 9, 2010 2:43:42 PM

22. Again Eric, rights go hand in hand with responsibility. Ideology must be tempered with pragmatism. Whether or not harm is intended matters little to the person who is hurt. There are times when "just get over it" is way too simple an answer. Yes, people may the right, but it doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Posted by: TJ | Oct 9, 2010 4:31:29 PM

23. What the heck is the problem with ANY expression that stats with - "It's so ----"?

If the statement is truly descriptive of the "object" being highlighted, what is your complaint? We gays are different than strait men. We strive for for different things. We excel in different things than Straits. Do you think that a strait could have produced the Sistein (sp?) Chapel Ceiling? Do you think that a strait could have danced like any of the Russian Gays of the 19th century? Why do you think that most of the famous movie male lovers of the 1930's and 1940's were Gay? ( The straits were just not that convincing.)

Posted by: Jerry6 | Oct 9, 2010 5:14:02 PM

24. Freedom of speech people! Everyone gets offended about everything and now. A movie or its trailer are being changed,whats next a song or book?

Posted by: acs | Oct 9, 2010 11:06:04 PM

25. I'm gay and use the term "that's so gay" frequently when I think something is lame. It's a generation thing I guess. I'm glad I don't see the world the way so many others seem to. Lighten up. "Gay" people don't own the word "gay".

Posted by: Doug | Oct 10, 2010 12:45:40 AM