Film | News | Vince Vaughn

Vince Vaughn Defends Anti-Gay Joke in 'The Dilemma'

Dilemma

In late September, I posted the trailer to the Vince Vaughn/Kevin James film The Dilemma, which opened with an off-putting "electric cars are gay" joke, and after a reference from CNN's Anderson Cooper (and an up-till-then ignored request from GLAAD) the trailer was edited. GLAAD requested the joke be edited out of the film as well.

Now, Vince Vaughn is defending the joke:

"Let me add my voice of support to the people outraged by the bullying and persecution of people for their differences, whatever those differences may be. Comedy and joking about our differences breaks tension and brings us together. Drawing dividing lines over what we can and cannot joke about does exactly that; it divides us. Most importantly, where does it stop?"

The problem is that Vaughn can't join the outrage over anti-gay bullying while contributing to (and collecting a paycheck for) the derogatory dialogue which to some makes that bullying permissible.

UPDATE: GLAAD sent us this statement late last night in response to Vaughn's remarks -

“Jokes can bring people together, but they can also push us apart," said GLAAD President Jarrett Barrios. "When 'gay' is used as a pejorative, it frequently sends a message - particularly to youth and their bullies - that being gay is wrong and something to laugh at. We invite Vince Vaughn to work with us and help ensure that gay youth and those perceived to be gay aren't put in harm's way by such jokes.”

Comments

1. Well I guess I will just have to add Mr. Vaughn to the list of people who's work I refuse to see (i.e. Tom Cruise, Mel Gisbson, Mickey Rourke, Eminem etc.)

Posted by: Harry | Oct 14, 2010 7:43:45 PM

2. Who knew Vince Vaughan was such a bigotted dumbfuck? I guess he thinks it "divides" blacks and whites when we can't use the "n" word in jokes, too. Vaughan, get outta town.

Posted by: hephaestion | Oct 14, 2010 7:45:39 PM

3. Vaught says: "Comedy and joking about our differences breaks tension and brings us together" Make a racial joke about blacks and see where that gets you. You think that will break the tension?

Posted by: Alan | Oct 14, 2010 7:45:46 PM

4. Remember when Vince Vaughn was hot and talented? Now he's just a washed up, unappealing coke whore who will take any job for a paycheck. Sad.

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 14, 2010 7:47:55 PM

5. I'd like to hear his defense of why he thinks that joke is funny. It's not. If you're going to tell a gay joke, it better be funny.

Posted by: 1fanboy2many | Oct 14, 2010 7:50:12 PM

6. Vince Vaughn is still alive????

Posted by: Gary | Oct 14, 2010 7:51:49 PM

7. It not was a joke "about" gay people, though. It was simply a flat-out slur -- gay = something bad.

What if he had said, "electric cars are Jewy"?

Vaughn's response is remarkably clueless, and makes matters worse.

I am happy now to boycott his career and anyone who might enable it.

"gay" as Vaughn used it most definitely contributes to the bullying he supposedly opposes. Shame on him.

Also: Shame on Ron Howard and shame on Universal.

Posted by: michael richards territory | Oct 14, 2010 7:53:49 PM

8. EPIC FAIL, Vinny.

Make great movies, I won't see any of 'em. Asstard.

Posted by: Grant | Oct 14, 2010 7:57:31 PM

9. Isn't he a drunk or somethin'? Ya know, very briefly in his youth, he used to be something to look at...cleaned up real nicely for that unwatchable, flaming piece of crap "clay pidgeons"....then he gained a bunch of alec baldwin booze weight, and it was over. Wedding crashers was funny, though.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 14, 2010 7:57:52 PM

10. Vince Vaughn is a moronic, homophobic, bigotted dickhead.

Does he really think that laughing at gay people is a bad thing.

What does his lesbian co-star Queen Latifah think of the 'joke' I wonder?

Posted by: SteveC | Oct 14, 2010 7:58:17 PM

11. Anyone with a clue would realize that comedy doesn't work when it's the majority making fun of a minority. That's why straight white men shouldn't tell jew jokes or n-word jokes.

They're speaking from a position of power, hence they are bullies, plain and simple.

Posted by: Jeff M. | Oct 14, 2010 8:05:33 PM

12. take a long walk off a short pier, vince

Posted by: gomez | Oct 14, 2010 8:10:39 PM

13. Hey Vince you are a douche bag and scum bag, your mother is a whore too. Ha Ha ha.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Oct 14, 2010 8:13:55 PM

14. "Anyone with a clue would realize that comedy doesn't work when it's the majority making fun of a minority."

Really...you believe that? I guess comedy hasn't worked in the u.s. since...forever, then. Lots of bullies are very funny.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 14, 2010 8:14:28 PM

15. As a former middle school teacher, I have personally witnessed the hurt this homophobic phrase caused gay & lesbian students; I've literally witnessed them cringe when their classmates used these hurtful words, inevitably to describe something awful.I always told these students that this was not an appropriate phrase to use because it was hurtful to a specific group of people, including myself. So I simply can't fathom where Vince Vaughn gets off saying it's a harmless joke. If you personally find the phrase "that's so gay" offensive and demeaning,please write to Vaughn at the following address to let him know these words are not a joke, especially in light of the rash of recent gay teen suicides:

Vince Vaughn
    C/O Jackoway, Tyerman, Wertheimer, Austin,Mandelbaum, Morris & Klein
    1925 Century Park East, 22nd Floor
    Los Angeles, CA 90067

Posted by: Frederick | Oct 14, 2010 8:19:00 PM

16. Am I the only one who agrees with him? Yes, all these anti-gay slurs are wrong, but its the current generation that uses these terms without associating them directly with homosexuals. Its like that South Park episode where they try to make the point that fag has evolved to mean something other than gay.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but he is right. By censoring him and any jokes that refer to gay people, you are doing almost exactly what it is that the bully's and anti-gay people are doing. And yes, you can tell racist jokes and not be hateful. George Lopez talks about mexicans, Chris Rock talked about blacks, and any drag queen makes fun of homosexuals and the whole gay community. But look at Lisa Lapinelli. She tells racist jokes all the time. It doesn't make her a bigot.

I think some people are too quick to jump on the hate wagon.
    (And yes, I understand there is a lot of coverage of recent gay suicides, but like it or not, suicides are going to happen, whether gay, straight, etc. The best thing we can do is try to prevent the real bullys from making life harder, and to help support those that may be at risk, not attacking comedians for using terms that are no longer solely targeting homosexuals. )

Posted by: Robert | Oct 14, 2010 8:19:16 PM

17. While watching movie trailers at the AMC theater on Broadway and 68th on Tues night, Oct. 12th the gay electric car bit had still not been removed from the trailer.

Posted by: Ernesto | Oct 14, 2010 8:24:19 PM

18. Using a derogatory term, no matter how "funny" it might appear to be, is not a valid excuse. And bringing us together? What the hell is he talking about? Shut up Vince. Another celebrity talking out of their ass is not helping things here.

But the person I really want to see an apology from is Ron Howard. I thought he was better than this. I am very disappointed.

Posted by: Bryant | Oct 14, 2010 8:24:41 PM

19. shut up you stupid fat fuck. oh and you're a shitty actor too.

Posted by: wtf | Oct 14, 2010 8:31:01 PM

20. Too bad there really is no gay mafia in Hollywood. Too bad Vince won't have to wonder if every dish or drink he gets served in this town was delivered by someone gay, SO gay, or really pissed off gay. What DID that waiter mean by "Enjoy your meal" as he left the table...

Posted by: Mark | Oct 14, 2010 8:31:02 PM

21. "I can't remember where I read it, but I once seen that comedians are social commentators, often using taboo subjects in a humorous manner to help break the tension on that subject, and to help expose people to it."

Horse shit. Comedy can be social commentary, but that's merely a means to the purpose: the laugh. That's all it's about--not lifting us up as people, or showing us our flaws, or anything like that. Comedy is about the laugh, and comedians and writers, for the most part, don't care about what you're laughing at so long as you're laughing. Some of them are actually racists, homophobes, and bigots...and others have made careers out of affirming the social norms of injustice and inequality by catering to people who believe it in their acts. They aren't trying to change the world...go to any comedy club, and if there's a person getting laughs...nine out of ten times, the audience is laughing AT HIM. He is the joke. People love to laugh, and the best way to get people to laugh is at someone or something else's expense...it's put something down to put someone else UP. Truly gifted comedians will get you to laugh at them, but in doing so...you're laughing at yourself. A truly gifted comedian will make fun of the audience and the audience will laugh at the insults...

What you find is funny is a lot like what you find sexually arousing--you have very little control over it.

This, however, is shit...and this is politics, motherfucker, not comedy. I don't give a shit about a comedians "artistic license" when kids are killing themselves over this kind of shit. I'm glad pressure was put on them to self censor.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 14, 2010 8:40:16 PM

22. I actually agree with Vince. As a very gay and out man, I am gonna take the oppertunity to say SAK UP to all you guys taking this a bit too seriously. Joking about these things puts it out there and sparks the unlight candle. So what if its offensive? Look at Bill mahr, Sarah Silverman, Chelsea Handler and Margaret Cho. They'll tell you straight up to blow em. To end it all. Fuck em if they can't take a joke. Peace

Posted by: Jared | Oct 14, 2010 8:44:20 PM

23. If the character uttering the slur harms their standing with the people around them by using the slur, I say let it stand.

If the character (not the actor) is rewarded for using the slur, then it's offensively inappropriate.

Posted by: jexer | Oct 14, 2010 9:19:37 PM

24. So if the joke in the movie was, "Only n#ggers buy electric cars." That would break the tension and bring people together?

I think Vince Vaughn is more concerned that his mammoth collection of gay jokes is going to be off limits. -- The reality is, context is everything. The context of this joke was that gay equals stupid or lame. How that brings people together is anyone's guess.

By the way, when did straight people get a say in what gay people find offensive? As a white guy, I don't speak for the black community when it comes to derogatory terms that they find offensive. So how is this different?

Posted by: David in Houston | Oct 14, 2010 9:23:22 PM

25. Jexer has it. The joke is only funny if the *real* joke is that that character making the joke is a childish douche.

In this same vein, I think calling Electric Cars "Jewy" is hilarious, if and only if we're laughing at how ridiculous/sad it is for someone to be that racist.

Posted by: Chip | Oct 14, 2010 9:55:53 PM