Barack Obama | Boston | Deval Patrick

Watch: Activists Protest Obama With Chants At Boston Rally

Obama
During a rally in Boston yesterday, a group of gay rights activists and AIDS research supporters interrupted a speech from President Obama while he was stumping for Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick. Reportedly chants included "Mr. President, stop the bigotry! Support marriage equality!," "Do you also oppose Atheist Marriage?," and "Would
you want a Civil Union?"

Mediaite reports on the incident, which seemed to noticeably agitate the president:

"The President appeared uncharacteristically upset as, mid-sentence, a group of folks in the crowd began to loudly object to his speech as he described the work his administration had done for AIDS research. As the crowd turned their heads up to look at the hecklers, President Obama followed as well, and modified his speech for them, menacingly pointing his finger up at them as he warned that a Republican leadership would be extremely destructive to their cause. After raising his voice mid-sentence in response to them, President Obama continued: “One of the great things about being a Democrat is, we like arguing with each other. But to the folks concerned about AIDS funding, I would say ‘take a look at what the Republican leadership has to say about AIDS funding.’”

Watch a clip of the incident from MSNBC as well as a POV clip from the crowd, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Thank you, Matthew Rettenmund.

Posted by: RW | Oct 17, 2010 2:02:21 PM

2. @ X

Bush had nothing to do with the Hate Crimes Bill. The democrats took over the house and senate in the 2006 midterms. So thank Nancy Pelosi...

If that bill had reached Bush's desk he would have SURELY vetoed it without a blink.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Oct 17, 2010 2:13:43 PM

3. Awww...da widdle prezident is upset!

Maybe it's just time for him to take his toys and go home.

And if things don't change, (and I see no reason to believe our "fierce advocate" is going to lift a finger to follow through on ANY of him promises to the LGBT people who donated their time, sweat and money to getting him elected in 2008), I can guarantee that's exactly what he's going to be doing the morning of January 20, 2013.

Posted by: Alexander | Oct 17, 2010 2:16:27 PM

4. X - Bush threatened to veto expansion of Hate Crimes Bill. Just sayin'.

Posted by: Vince In Weho | Oct 17, 2010 2:18:10 PM

5. My partner has AIDS and depends on ADAP for medications to survive. In our state, as well as almost, if not every other state, the ADAP formulary has been severely cut back forcing poz folks to seek medications from "compassionate care" programs run by drug manufacturers or to go off meds. The red tape, hoop jumping and time lags before you can get medication, if you're accepted into a program is nightmarish. Every ADAP program now has a waiting list, meaning unless someone moves, dies or gets private insurance, you're going to wait a long time to get meds. The funding shortfalls for Ryan White and ADAP never happened under Republican presidents. As bad as Bush was, my partner got his meds every month without fail. That's what poz people know about Obama and AIDS right now.

Until we can care for the poz people in this country, I'm against funding foreign programs. And there should be no reason why we can't do both when we squander BILLIONS in Iraq and Afghanistan and our "allies" around the world who benefit from not having to eat up their taxes with defense spending. What's the sense in testing and identifying new poz cases when there will not be medications available for them?

These are the types of stories that are killing Obama and the Democrats. Wall Street was cared for as well as the bankers, they're all doing better than ever. No fines, no jail time, no investigations and business as usual. On Main Street people are suffering and it's not getting better. I'll bet Congress will get a COLA this year, but folks on Social Security won't. My sister's house is in foreclosure, my neighbor has cancer and no insurance and can't pay the bills, too many people are out of work and this winter many will have to choose between eating and heating. The rich get fine dining while we're told to stop whining.

I feel like I'm a resident of Mouseland. The question is do I want to be kicked in the balls by the Republicans or stabbed in the back by the Democrats. Some choice. Some country.

Posted by: Bob R | Oct 17, 2010 2:22:31 PM

6. Hey, folks wake up! All this infighting will be pointless after the Republicans take over. Doesn't anyone have any idea what is in store? AIDS funding will be slashed, the Protect Marriage Amendment will be passed, forget ENDA, and all the rest. These people are openly hostile to gays and want them to disappear off the face of the earth. I would suggest that people start making plans: arm themselves, get to a safe part of the (country if you can find one), or get the hell out (which is what I am doing). God help the USA.

Posted by: niles | Oct 17, 2010 2:38:49 PM

7. he is no better than the republican when he say that. Fear is not a platform and thats all Im getting from Obama and much of the Republican cand running for office. They use fear not so you will vote for them, but so you wont vote for their opponent. It is an effective way to run, but I like most of you(I think) wanted something different from this man. I didnt vote for him, but to be honest now I wouldnt have voted for either.

Have a great day

Posted by: Dustin | Oct 17, 2010 2:56:51 PM

8. I would suggest that people start making plans: arm themselves, get to a safe part of the (country if you can find one), or get the hell out (which is what I am doing). God help the USA.

POSTED BY: NILES
    -----------------------------

Didn't I see you walking with a human billboard reading

'THE END IS NEAR!!!'

If you are leaving we are already less one idiot.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Oct 17, 2010 2:59:11 PM

9. I would have loved to have been there so I could yell at Obama's lying face. He makes me sick with his outright bullshit lies saying he wants to stop DADT and DOMA then he immediately appeals court decisions that would end them. That little piece of shit lies right to our faces. And I say this as someone who still has an Obama 08 sticker on my car, of course, only because I haven't had time to scrape that shit off.

Posted by: Jersey | Oct 17, 2010 3:10:15 PM

10. The political lesson for Obama is something like:

"Don't give people hope unless you are really willing to do something substantive on their behalf. Something that registers on their scale of importance."

Otherwise you just become a part of the window dressing.

There is nothing wrong with the anger in the crowd.

The energy anger brings can be used constructively or destructively. Standing up for your constitutional rights is a constructive use.

Along with rights come responsibilities as well as a good feeling of egalitarianism with your peers.

Posted by: mark | Oct 17, 2010 3:39:37 PM

11. Federal judges have thrown out DOMA and DADT. Obama's Department of Justice is fighting the judges decision in both cases. Now, tell me again how Obama is supporting us?

Posted by: glennmcgahee | Oct 17, 2010 3:44:31 PM

12. Obama has told us to push him and to push Congress, but yet when we do, when he hold him accountable, he gets pissed.

Which is is, Mr. President? Do you want us to push you and hold you accountable or do you want us to sit down and shut up?

I can do one or the other, but not both. Warning, however; Sitting down and shutting up will mean i will not be voicing support, contributing to or voting for you in 2012. Your choice, Mr. President.

Posted by: The Realist | Oct 17, 2010 3:45:08 PM

13. Barry Soetoro? So we're now embracing birther memes?

Posted by: Musicboy | Oct 17, 2010 3:47:32 PM

14. I love how the 'THROW MORE MONEY AT AIDS" always manages to interrupt Obama.

Frankly I think he's done ok with funding AIDS research, unless they believe in the South Park cure.

How about protesting the CDC so gay people can donate blood, instead of perpetuating the lie that 1 in 5 gays has AIDS?

What I don't get is, where the heck is GetEqual or the HRC? What, no DADT hecklers?

Begging for hecklers can't be choosy for hecklers I guess. :|

BTW the republicans and tea party's master plan is to privatize government services and allow corporations to rob you blind with out giving you service. That's their version of freedom and liberty. It is scary.

So until GayINC can come up with candidates of their own, we're stuck with the 'we suck less' crowd.

Posted by: Christie | Oct 17, 2010 3:49:03 PM

15. Has anyone seen the original prepared remarks for his speech? Was that final line really about AIDS funding or does he equate marriage equality (and gays) with AIDS?

We may have a bigger problem on our hands then we thought...

Posted by: Shawn | Oct 17, 2010 3:56:49 PM

16. Hold your nose if you wish, but don't cut it off to spite your face.
    VOTE DEMOCRAT... If the GOP/Teabagger/Religious-Right gain power, they WILL use it.
    I don't want to fight the same battles as 20 years ago.

Posted by: JONNY NYNY2FLFL | Oct 17, 2010 3:58:43 PM

17. "the Hate Crimes bill, but that started when BUSH was President"

You nitwit. The Dems started working on the bill with NO support from GOPers. Bush would have VETOED it.

Posted by: BobN | Oct 17, 2010 4:25:48 PM

18. "We may have a bigger problem on our hands then we thought..."

Yeah, you might be a lot more stupid than anyone ever imagined.

Posted by: BobN | Oct 17, 2010 4:28:46 PM

19. Whoops, sorry - OK to clear things up:

What I should have said was that the hate crimes legislation was being worked on long before Obama came, but he definitely signed off on it when Bush wouldn't.

Posted by: X | Oct 17, 2010 6:29:03 PM

20. Yeah, that's why I voted for Obama - he promised NOT to slash AIDS funding.

Oh, wait.

Posted by: Pope Buck I | Oct 17, 2010 7:14:51 PM

21. Andy, why are you putting a birther's video on your sight? Have you sunk so low in your hatred of President Obama?

Thank you, JONNY NYNY2FLFL! Finally a comment with some sanity. Otherwise people are just being clueless and destructive to all of us when they don't vote and then sit back and blame Obama and everyone else for these problems.

Posted by: Sam | Oct 17, 2010 7:38:59 PM

22. The Dems campaign has now come down to:

"Yeah, b*tch, I hit you, but if you leave me, where ya gonna go? Huh, b*tch? You think anybody else is gonna help you? Yeah, that's right. That's what I thought. Now go make my f*ckin' dinner."

Ah, the inspiration.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Oct 17, 2010 8:15:33 PM

23. Those activists are playing an important role in combating suicide among queer youth. Queer teens need to be reminded that you can be queer and self respecting. You don't have to be self loathing and pathetic like Barney Frank and Elton John.

Posted by: libhomo | Oct 17, 2010 8:44:55 PM

24. Not donating. Not volunteering. Not voting for ANYONE, Democrat or Republican, who doesn't support my full and unsegregated civil equality.

Bitch. Moan. Nash Teeth. Threaten. And tell me all the horror stories about the Republican boogy men all you want. It will not change my mind.

I will bust my ass and vote for for ANYONE who shares my values and supports, with ACTIONS not just words, my full civil equality.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Oct 17, 2010 10:05:02 PM

25. I was right around the corner from this jack-ass when he was speaking, food shopping. I would have thrown a zucchini at him but the S.S. would have probably shot me dead. Maybe I'll get a chance to throw one at his sidekick, Governor Patrick.

I feel for those folks with AIDS and HIV who're on Medicaid. They're cannibalizing Medicaid to help fund ObamaCare. The whole thing is scandalous. ObamaCare is based directly on Massachusetts healthcare reform [healthcare for all]. News flash! It doesn't work as advertised! As Americans are about to find out.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 18, 2010 1:09:15 AM