Carl Paladino | New York | News | Tea Party | Teabagger | Yehuda Levin

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Rabbi Yehuda Levin Discusses Paladino Defection, Defends Anti-Gay 'Brainwashing' Remarks

Yehuda_levin

Rabbi Yehuda Levin, who helped write NY gubernatorial candidate Carl Paladino's remarks about "dysfunctional" homosexuals "brainwashing" children, broke with Paladino yesterday after hearing the Tea Party candidate's apology.

The NYT reports:

"Rabbi Levin said that he considered the apology a betrayal, and that he pined for the “old Carl” who spoke from his heart rather than bending to political whims. Rabbi Levin said he was especially upset that Mr. Paladino gave him no notice that he planned to back away from the comments. 'I was in the middle of eating a kosher pastrami sandwich,' Rabbi Levin said. 'While I was eating it, they come running and they say, ‘Paladino became gay!’ I said, ‘What?’ And then they showed me the statement. I almost choked on the kosher salami.'"

Levin appeared on The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell, and defended the term "brainwashing" with regard to children being taught about gay people in a contentious debate with Rabbi David-Seth Kirshner on the Jewish religion and gay people.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. @FRED That rabbi is about as semitic as I am. Not. My question is: what differentiates that rabbi from any rank-and-file Muslim extremist? (And no cheating!)

Posted by: jamal49 | Oct 14, 2010 12:52:18 PM

2. I know how he feels. I've choked on a few kosher salamis myself. Lemme see...there was Larry, Alan, Meir, Avi, Ramin, Danny, Mitch, Sammy...

Posted by: Danny | Oct 14, 2010 12:55:07 PM

3. I've seen Hassidim at gay cruising places and in sex clubs in Manhattan. I have nothing to say against the way of life of Orthodox Jews. But it's not--nothing is--for everybody. Not even for all Jews. Intelligent and highly cultivated as their rabbis' academic skills and scholarship may be, many seem shockingly ignorant of the real world-and even of their own humanity. It goes without saying that often one sees a shocking willingness to see exclusion, ostracization, and even violence used against those who don't share their viewpoint.

Posted by: Danny | Oct 14, 2010 1:01:07 PM

4. como

Actually per israelie officers the big problem is more specifically immigrants from former soviet states. Not necessarily orthodox though but definitely conservative and as ignorant as usa inbred hillbillies

The majority of orthodox in israel are too busy leaching off the Israeli state for welfare to be troublesome. Many israelies want the gov to stop spending $ on orthodox religious schools and welfare $ for the orthodox to just go and pop out 10-12 kids

----------------------------

LOL it was almost like reading the Onion

'...choked on the salami"

LOL

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Oct 14, 2010 1:01:40 PM

5. Time to fight back. I say we form a fake group that warns America of the "radical Jewish agenda". They want want their agenda taught in the schools, they want to serve openly in the military, and they want to donate blood oh not being fired for being Jewish would be nice. A few months of fake interviews, comments at cit council, fake press conferences and ads in major papers and let's see how they like it! No more Mr.Nice Gay! Dammmit!

Posted by: lazlo | Oct 14, 2010 2:24:54 PM

6. Just to concur with Fred and Patrick, as a life-long resident of New York, and many of those years were spent living in Brooklyn, these people are dangerous cranks! Anyone who has had to deal with them I believe gets a much better insight into what is going on in Israel. What I find most amazing is the way New York politicians court these cranks at election time...especially that fiend Schumer!!

Posted by: Bobo | Oct 14, 2010 2:50:08 PM

7. I've just got to say this, because I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this. But I crack myself up when I log-on here and before I even read the headline, if theres a photo of the person in question, I just know who's gonna be a bigot.

So far the only person I've been wrong about, was when I first saw a photo of Judge Walker. But man I don't know what it is about most of these small minded, ignorant, bigots. Just something in their faces, body language, just sense their small minded crazy-ness so clearly.

Posted by: Joseph | Oct 14, 2010 5:32:55 PM

8. Religion is the main brainwasher of humanity. And Paladino must really be desperate for votes if he hangs around these schmucks.

Posted by: jaragon | Oct 14, 2010 5:56:51 PM

9. Hooked nose jews

Posted by: Chris | Oct 14, 2010 9:02:23 PM

10. He needs to check his gag reflex before trying to deep throat some hebrew national.
    These misogynistic, homophobic unwashed extremists are disgusting. Have you ever attended an orthodox wedding. They tear the place up and act like animals. And they STINK to high heaven.

Posted by: LG Wilson | Oct 14, 2010 10:44:43 PM

11. He NEES to "discuss" how his group STOLE the religion from DARK skinned Blacks ( THE SEMITES)...and how they are SLAUGHTERING people in a land that does NOT belong to them!!!

Posted by: shannon | Oct 15, 2010 2:37:00 AM