Bullying | Dan Savage | Michael Goff | towleroad | TowleTech | Video | YouTube

What Exactly Gets Better? Well, for starters... ; Towleroad Tips

If you just came out from under a rock this week, this is part of the It Gets Better Project on You Tube, launched by Dan Savage in response to increased coverage of suicides by young gay people, and likely an increase in actual attempts. This one by half of Logo's Jefferey and Cole team and TV writer Guy Branum speaks to the important role of friends in the end. A good reminder for any age.

Towleroad notes...

Though his talents differ from those of the friends portrayed in the video, thanks to my friend Rob for sending it on.

You too can always tip us on news or anything you think we should consider for Towleroad by sending us email at tips @ towleroad.com or through our contact page. Steve Pep's will be posting through the weekend, following a great effort in a  big news by by Andrew Belonsky. He continues Monday. And Andy Towle really will be back in another week.

And, Direct message to Andy T.: Yes you're missed. No, it isn't the same. Put down he iPad.

Bonus Tip: On an iPhone? Hit the bookmark button when on the site to get a direct link to the site among your apps.

Bonus Tip 2: Can't remember how to spell "towleroad"? Just start typing t-o-w-l in Google's real-time search and you're here. Or use the shortcut url of tlrd.com (like our twitter name) which forwards to the site automatically.

Have a good weekend.

Comments

1. @ sancho

Only YOU can make it better byt believing and seeing others happy however different from you. And that is the point.

Posted by: Rowan | Oct 2, 2010 2:27:38 PM

2. I don't know why this is getting such negativity in the comments up top. Do you even remember being a teenager or did puberty hit you late or something? When I was a teen I was F'n horny (still am) and would have LOVED a video like this.

Yes, people have different "types" that they prefer, but that's no reason to put down a type that you personally don't like cause someone else is bound to like it even if you don't.

Posted by: ravewulf | Oct 2, 2010 2:34:19 PM

3. "but that's no reason to put down a type that you personally don't like cause someone else is bound to like it even if you don't."

Ain't it grand?

Nevertheless, everyone step back from Hugh Jackman. He's mine.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Oct 2, 2010 3:27:05 PM

4. @Billy-- Let's not troll things that aren't there. Other than the proofing, which i'll own.

My esteem is not zero sum.
    I noted Andrew's great work in a few places. He's aware that i think he's great, as well as of my hope he'll have a regular presence going forward.

It's hardly mutually exclusive to also miss a biz partner and friend on a deserved vacation. And it's not dissing Andrew since we're all working in service of the voice and high bar for quality Andy's set, protects, and evolves. In fact, it's every collaboration and contribution from posters, columnists, tipsters and comments that drive the ever-evolving Towleroad.

(Of course, that's after skimming the thin layer of comments with nothing more compelling than racist and misogynist crap. Please join us in not feeding the trolls and making it clear to others that we're here for open discussion and mutual respect.)
    Certainly not implying @Billy's in this crew,btw.

Michael

Posted by: Michael Goff | Oct 2, 2010 3:42:41 PM

5. So basically, it gets batter as long as you have enough money to pay the prostitutes.

Posted by: Miguel | Oct 2, 2010 4:58:41 PM

6. Best line:

"... then I GOT THE FUCK OUT OF ROME, GEORGIA!"

To all the whiners: there are lots and lots of videos out there now. You don't have to like this one.

Posted by: BobN | Oct 2, 2010 7:29:01 PM

7. I enjoyed the video until the naked individuals came on. Don't get me wrong, that part great and all. It sent a good message until it sent promiscuity to 15 year old confused Iowa teenagers.

Posted by: Perry Phalla | Oct 2, 2010 7:48:20 PM

8. Even with the volume up I couldn't understand the bald guy.

Posted by: anon | Oct 2, 2010 8:49:26 PM

9. Sometimes though, it doesn't get better, and lies like what this project does makes life that much more bitter.

Posted by: Thrutc | Oct 2, 2010 9:46:14 PM

10. i'm gay. i was bullied.

this is hard to watch.

it's everything i strived to NOT be at that age. this would not help my 12 year old self overcome the hatred i was going through at the time.

its touchy because of the SCENE of it all - but get some regular joes up in this. not GAY MARRIAGE SUCCESS STORIES and out and proud guys. take the script out of it, please.

Posted by: anonymous | Oct 3, 2010 2:18:51 AM

11. Just remember this ZLICK, the message is "things will get better". For Christ's sake, give them hope. Tell them they matter in the course of everyday life because they're someone's son or daughter, and that even if they're disowned by their parents, they can still find support and nurturing elsewhere. Someday, somewhere, someone is going to love them, for who, and what they are. Please, it matters.

Posted by: J. Thebeau | Oct 3, 2010 3:41:42 AM

12. But "the things will get better" is a lie. Why would you share and push something false. Being tortured for being gay in high school, leads to being tortured for being gay at Uni. The family that you make when your own throws you out, drops you when you move to a new city. I don't know what the answer is but Things dont get better

Posted by: Thrutc | Oct 3, 2010 9:54:48 AM

13. This is exhibit A of the problem with being gay. Everyone is mean and cruel. Or they ignore you. I don't give shit anymore, I'm calling Exodus tmrw, its better to be miserable and have a family, than just be miserable alone. My life would have been better off not believing the lie things get better, or that people will accept you

Posted by: Thrutc | Oct 4, 2010 8:49:37 AM

14. Ratbastard is trolling these threads with his obsession of every gay person acting the same (his bigotry of all of us appearing masculine is a fixation from his own homophobia) he posts under different handles. Do NOT feed that troll.

There are fem, flaming, masculine, queenie...ALL types of gays in the community and they are all to be accepted. Our queenie gays are the best as they get sh*t done and are the first to take sh*t too. Some of the toughest gays I know were the ones who weren't afraid to be themsleves, even if that meant fem.

Posted by: Michelleanon | Oct 4, 2010 9:49:52 AM

15. I would have hated this as a teen who was just coming out. At the time, I was terrified by the thought that all gay men were only interested in superficial, promiscuous sex. I desperately wanted the "white picket fence, two-car garage" family with another man. But I rarely saw any gays portrayed that way. I've changed a lot since then, and I realize there is no "right" way to be gay, but for an inexperienced, sheltered kid, this video just perpetuates stereotypes that "gay = shallow promiscuity." For a lot of struggling young people, that is not proof that thing "get better" - and actually could be a scary future prospect for some of them.

Posted by: PG | Oct 4, 2010 2:24:31 PM