I'm Gay | I'm Not Gay | News | Zachary Quinto

Zachary Quinto Won't Say if He's Gay

Quinto

The NYT asks Angels in America star Zachary Quinto about rumors that he's gay.

While Mr. Quinto accepts the occasional fan ambush as part of the movie and television stardom package, he chooses to keep his distance from what he regards as mindless celebrity-gossip culture. “I’m grateful that celebrity or notoriety wasn’t thrust upon me when I was in my 20s, because I think I would have buckled under the weight of it, as so many people do,” he said. “But I’ve come to realize through experience that ultimately I really do have a lot of power in terms of the way I relate to the public or to people outside of my intimate circle of friends and family. Boundaries are very important to me.”

Despite Mr. Quinto’s efforts to keep his private life private, the blogosphere is rife with speculation about his sexuality, no doubt fueled by his support for gay rights and organizations like the Trevor Project. He prefers not to feed that rumor mill with either substantiation or dismissal. He speaks passionately about gay marriage, about “don’t ask, don’t tell” and about the recent wave of gay bullying and suicides.

“The fact that these things are such hot-button issues right now, socially and politically, I would much rather talk about that than talk about who I sleep with,” Mr. Quinto said. “I would love to be a voice in this maelstrom of chaos and obsessive celebrity infatuation that says, ‘Let’s talk about something that matters,’ ” he added.

Of course it's up to Quinto to decide when and how he comes out, if he is gay, but surely having out and proud examples matters to those considering harming themselves over their sexuality.

Quinto's 'It Gets Better' video, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via afterelton)

Comments

1. Wait, what? I thought he was out! Lol. Now that Ricky Martin and Sean Hayes have come out, this has to be the worst-kept secret in Hollywood.

Posted by: Cyd | Oct 25, 2010 12:14:34 PM

2. Well said, Andy. That's what matters.

I'll leave it at that.

Posted by: adamblast | Oct 25, 2010 12:28:40 PM

3. I just saw ZQ in Angels last night and he's a fantastic actor in an amazing production (and I saw the original, which was also astounding). People come out when they are able to, professionally and personally. What is the difference between being bullied into coming out by heterosexual jerks in high school and being bullied into coming out by self righteous people who may happen to share your sexual orientation but can't see further than their own fingertips in regard to how others might need space, understanding and patience? There are better ways of using your energy that blasting someone who is in a profession that happens to have a high profile. Dealing with the barbs of the public in its various forms comes with an actor's territory and you can hate on him all you want, but that doesn't change our laws, people's minds, or the fantastic trajectory of his career. What is the message we want to send here, "come out or you're dead to me?" How do you reconcile that when and if they do come out? And would you rather that he stay silent about DADT and equality? Before you call hypocrisy, I suggest you examine the mote in your own eye.

Posted by: Jon Mitchell | Oct 25, 2010 12:36:00 PM

4. he's a cute guy & good actor, but this is frustrating

it's almost as if those with fame & notoriety are waiting for all of the "little people" to come out so it is easier for them do the same

they want everyone else to weather the punches so they can eventually have the convenience of an acclimated society when/if they come out

whatever - glad he made the video, but this whole "private life" cop-out that everyone with name recognition uses kinda sucks

Posted by: neverstops | Oct 25, 2010 12:49:43 PM

5. Give him time, he'll come out.

While I'd like for as many glbt celebrities to come out as there are that exist, I don't begrudge someone for keeping their personal life personal --- so long as they're otherwise supportive of GLBT rights and aren't going the gay-republican route of staying closeted and taking action against glbt people.

Are those people 'heroes' to the cause? Absolutely not, but not everyone's meant to be, either. So long as they aren't working against us, they shouldn't be targeted. If they do work against us, though, it's game on.

Posted by: Ryan | Oct 25, 2010 1:18:31 PM

6. I agree Ryan - if they're not part of the problem then why try to make them part of the solution. No one is an island, ZQ's life is more than his own, as it is for all of us. NOH8 - it's not just for heterosexuals.

Posted by: Jon Mitchell | Oct 25, 2010 1:26:27 PM

7. You don't have to tell everyone your business to support gay rights. Now, ON THE OTHER HAND, if you're attempting to eliminate gay rights and you are yourself gay... that's a problem.

LOVE YOU SYLAR!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Oct 25, 2010 2:09:47 PM

8. And he shouldn't have to. End of story.

Posted by: TomSkylark | Oct 25, 2010 2:33:15 PM

9. Lexxvs

blah blah blah blah --- he is still a coward hiding in the closet for cash

Posted by: tony x | Oct 25, 2010 2:43:52 PM

10. Sorry ... this queen enjoys all the fruits of gay civil right but does not have the balls to speak out and be open about being gay

in the black community it was called "passing" and it was rightly looked down on - as it was selfish, self serving and did not help those who could not "pass"

.... btw anyone who does not realize he is gay already has to be deaf and blind

Posted by: tony x | Oct 25, 2010 2:47:06 PM

11. all these lessons of courage from anonymous mailers !
    Action is simply better than words :
    He doesn't have to come out, he is out !

Posted by: lgamarseille | Oct 25, 2010 2:58:47 PM

12. We must applaud Mr Quinto's support and acting work.

He is a fine actor who does not shy away from roles as a gay or bisexual man, and it is to be welcomed to see actors playing such roles and making same-sex intimacy more visible to others, and we should praise his efforts as an ally in speaking up for LGBT teens who are vulnerable. whether he is actually gay or not, is not my business. Unless he wants to share details of his personal life with his many fans, he has every right to privacy, as we don't actually own him like an Ipod! We should always support actors who are allies of equality.

But does anyone else see that the toxic 'is he/ isn't he gay' gossip is a close cousin to the pressure placed on young GLBT people that we all condemn elsewhere? I am happy to be a fan, and nothing more. Love his interpretation of Spock, very brave to take on and be successful with an iconic role.

On the gay actor issue, I feel that the reality - for the moment - is that many LGBT actors cannot live openly, for fear of losing their entire careers. Whether this includes Mr Quinto is not the issue, but surely, we need to focus more on making heads of TV studios etc., practice what they preach, by which I mean it is hypocrital of "them" to peddle movies and tv shows at us with tolerant fictional portrayals of LGBT people - which we do love and 'consume' - when Hollywood's employment practices and attitudes to LGBT minorities are less than exemplary at times and can also destroy lives.

Posted by: Sean R | Oct 25, 2010 3:05:37 PM

13. If it's a secret, it's an OPEN secret. He certainly isn't IN the closet. But whatever.

Posted by: jeff in la | Oct 25, 2010 4:12:41 PM

14. Well a straight mans answer to "are you gay"? is "No, I'm not".

Posted by: RDUB | Oct 25, 2010 4:59:31 PM

15. Your allegation that Zachary Quinto is a bad example for not coming out is irritating. The fact that he did the It Gets Better video for Trevor Project, is to help others in a dark hour, is an act of humanity. It is mean spirited for gay people call him to justice, when you don't know his circumstances.

Posted by: chadnnocal | Oct 25, 2010 5:59:07 PM

16. YOU PEOPLE (gays who demand that everyone else wear their sexuality on their sleeves) need to understand that other gays, prominent or not, do not owe YOU anything. AND YET, zachary quinto is so supportive of our plight in doing all that he has PUBLICLY. sometimes a person does not need to announce their personal information on the record and they can STILL suffer the negative consequences of being openly gay, such as in this situation. people assume things, and a suggestion is all it takes to turn someone against you...hence the bullied straight kids who are assumed to be gay for whatever reason. everyone is entitled to THEIR OWN LIFE.

just like those against gay marriage stick their nose into our business and feel that they should be entitled to determining whether or not we should be allowed to marry, you're putting YOUR NOSE in his business, as if your right is to determine how he lives his life.

shut the hell up

Posted by: ERB | Oct 25, 2010 5:59:38 PM

17. "Well a straight mans answer to "are you gay"? is "No, I'm not"."

That's a common answer (and it's the answer we've gotton from the likes of Liberace and Tom Cruise along with million-dollar lawsuits for suggesting they might be gay).

But it's definitely not the only answer, nor is it the most well-considered answer.

I'd rather hear the more intelligent and compassionate straight guys like Brad Pitt or Tom Hanks answer something like:
    "Why does an employer or a movie viewer or a tabloid reader need to know whether I'm gay, straight or bi? I have no interest in having some prejudiced casting director let me beat proud and out gay guys for some role by answering personal questions that shouldn't affect any performer's prospects."

When Alec Baldwin said last week, "Why do people keep saying I'm straight?" I thought that was great!

The day that every straight actor or singer is willing to cast doubt on his orientation in order to support the ideal of equality, we will have come a long way.

Posted by: GregV | Oct 25, 2010 7:57:32 PM

18. Quinto has done plenty as an ally to the lGBT community to be considered "good people". He doesn't deserve this. He has clearly drawn a line in the sand- he said he values his privacy and he's not budging on that just We as a community have plenty of "role models" to look up to (and if we're smart we'll stop looking for life examples in celebrities). It won't kill us to let this man come out(if he's even gay at all!!)in his own time.

Posted by: Ealan | Oct 25, 2010 8:04:09 PM

19. Why are any of us wasting energy being upset with a man who's very visibly portraying gay characters on TV and on stage? As opposed to the stories we've heard of actors who wouldn't "dare" play the gay roles in Brokeback, etc. Zachary is a vocal advocate of gay rights. We need more visible celebrities like him. If he's gay, I'm sure he'll come out in his own time. It's not like he's out there getting engaged to female celebrities in arranged relationships set up by his PR rep. Now THAT'S something to get upset by, and there are plenty of closeted celebs who do that. But someone who's getting positive messages out there? Let's not become our own bullies. Quinto's fanbase from Star Trek and Heroes is predominantly heterosexual and his support of the Trevor Project and other gay causes will do a lot more to open peoples hearts and minds than any of the bullies on this comment thread will do.

Posted by: Ross | Oct 25, 2010 11:33:09 PM

20. A tube jumper? That's not even posted on urban dictionary for Christ's sake.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 26, 2010 12:32:34 AM

21. Sounds like a Michael Urie all over again...
    But this time he's not doing Ugly Betty he CHOSE to work on this project knowing full well the limelight...sorry folks... let's just say he he doesn't have the courage...yes the COURAGE and DIGNITY at this time of his life.
    I feel sorry for him.
    I could care less about his work at this time.

Posted by: mcNnyc | Oct 26, 2010 1:15:54 AM

22. Ratbastard: LOL I thought the same thing.

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Oct 26, 2010 7:11:39 AM

23. [Int. Situation Room, White House]

OBAMA

Now, gentlemen, I know you have reservations about repealing DADT. But I am determined to see this through. And you don't have to take my word for it.

(gestures to shadowy figure to come in)

Listen to this closeted Hollywood star instead. He will teach you about the virtues of allowing gay soldiers to serve openly in the military. Even though his publicist has convinced him being out in Hollywood is an unacceptable risk. And the situation in Afghanistan is probably a lot more complicated than Hollywood.

(beat)

Anyway, I am off to Paris with Michelle and kids.

-----

We aren't doing casting for a comedy. It might help if the self-anointed activist for repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell in the NY Times isn't the poster boy for not asking and telling. The generals, not to mention the public at-large, might view that as a bit of a mixed message.

Posted by: John | Oct 26, 2010 12:02:03 PM

24. That's a cheap shot, Towle. Coming out is a deeply personal and possibly painful thing, and no one owes anybody their coming out except to themselves and to their loved ones. If Quinto were Mehlmann that might be different, but he's clearly on the side of equality for all. If we're clear about rights for LGBT, then those rights are inherent in and of themselves. Having equality as US citizens has absolutely nothing to do with the rights of others who advocate for us to the right to their privacy. If you insist others come out as a political statement, then you've missed the point of coming out.

Posted by: Brian | Oct 26, 2010 2:16:35 PM

25. Meh, don't be too hard on him.
    I think it's not so much he's in the closet and scared, as he's a typical hypocritical liberal Hollywood douchebag.

"Boundries are very important to me", he says.

Er, I've seen his kitchen, bedroom, car, know about his cat & dog, his fashion taste, his PC views, his nutty notion that dressing up and pretending for a living somehow is important. He yammers on about being eco friendly, yet he trapsed across the globe on a private jet to promote a scifi movie- where he pretended to be an alien. I know he voted & campaigned for Obama. He guzzles Starbucks coffee. He's into yoga, not sports. He ditched his faith for something more Zen. And I learned all this from HIM. He yaks about his views, friends, life, all the time. Boundries? On his life? Er, I don't think so. Not from HIM.
    He is clearly a gay man- great for him, no big deal. If he truly wanted to make a difference to those poor youngsters who are in SERIOUS need of a guidance, I'm sure there are better ways than some video. But- that's up to him. He reads lines for a living, so maybe that's all he wants to do. Hopefully, it helped someone out.

It's not his unwillingness to be a public gay role model that irks me about him. It's his total hypocrisy, in everything that he does. He makes a plea to stop the bullying of GLT kids (which is a good thing)- yet had NO PROBLEM with starring in and promoting "Hostage: A Love Story. Wonder how he would have felt if the plot was a gay man that had been terrorized (if you saw it, you know what I'm talking about)- and then- WAS SHOT AND KILLED AT THE END! Oh, the humor in that! Oh, wait, that's mean. In fact, it's a homophobic hate crime! Well, since it was just a woman who was killed- that's OK. It's irony. And funny. Ha, ha.

You can HAVE Mr. Quinto. Ugh.

Please know that some of us are teaching our kids about respect towards ALL, and it's working. Please know that not everyone has hatred and malice in their hearts. Dr. King talked about content of character. Some of us in the real world still believe that and are doing more than making YouTube videos about it. There are great things happening to build real bridges- keep the faith.

If you are looking toward this Hollywood lib to be your torch bearer- hmmm, I'd pick another guy. This one just seems like he swallowed too much lefto Kool-Aid.

Posted by: Chris | Oct 26, 2010 6:25:02 PM