Bullying | Halloween | News

BigGayDeal.com

Celebrating Daphne

Daphne

A mom celebrates her son's wish to dress up as Daphne from Scooby Doo at Halloween, and describes the days leading up to, as well as, his arrival at school on that day:

And that’s where things went wrong. Two mothers went wide-eyed and made faces as if they smelled decomp. And I realize that my son is seeing the same thing I am. So I say, “Doesn’t he look great?” And Mom A says in disgust, “Did he ask to be that?!” I say that he sure did as Halloween is the time of year that you can be whatever it is that you want to be. They continue with their nosy, probing questions as to how that was an option and didn’t I try to talk him out of it. Mom B mostly just stood there in shock  and dismay.

And then Mom C approaches. She had been in the main room, saw us walk in, and followed us down the hall to let me know her thoughts. And they were that I should never have ‘allowed’ this and thank God it wasn’t next year when he was in Kindergarten since I would have had to put my foot down and ‘forbidden’ it. To which I calmly replied that I would do no such thing and couldn’t imagine what she was talking about. She continued on and on about how mean children could be and how he would be ridiculed.

Another mom pointed out that high schools often have Spirit Days where girls dress like boys and vice versa. I mentioned Powderpuff Games where football players dress like cheerleaders and vice versa. Or every frat boy ever in college (Mom A said that her husband was a frat boy and NEVER dressed like a woman.)

But here’s the point, it is none of your damn business.

Bravo, Mom!

And my little man worked that costume like no other. He rocked that wig, and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Read the whole post HERE.

Comments

1. LOVE LOVE LOVE this story! Thousands of men - straight and gay - dress like women for halloween.

I would have said a hellova lot more to those prude bitches than the mother did. She was far too gracious, but I'm sure she held her tongue for her son's sake.

Posted by: johnny | Nov 4, 2010 8:19:09 AM

2. ANDY thanks for sharing this wonderful story. After this past election, where we saw reason take a holiday, it's nice to see that sane people not only exist, but great ones are bringing up children.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 4, 2010 8:25:32 AM

3. When I post a blog entry from Towleroad on my Facebook wall, it would be great if I could include an image from the entry with it instead of the Towleroad logo. It would help draw my Facebook friends in.

Posted by: art | Nov 4, 2010 8:30:08 AM

4. Great story and great mum! I know its supposed to be Daphne, but i also see Hit girl!

Posted by: rovex | Nov 4, 2010 8:48:40 AM

5. @ART: It's from the blog called nerdyapplebottom.com. You can post it from there -- I first saw it on my fb wall directly from nerdyapplebottom.com. Good luck -- great story -- great mom! Cool kid. Parents like her are the ones who should be lucky enough to have gay kids.

Posted by: DougChgo | Nov 4, 2010 8:51:32 AM

6. What Patrick said.
    Just when you're ready to give up on this country and this era, there's a great story about a great and inspiring American. And the thing is, she's a product of this country and its values just like those other sad, messed-up moms are. And for all the fuss they make about Sarah Palin and Christine O'Donnell, everybody knows that Ellen DeGeneres and Oprah Winfrey are the ones Americans really turn to for hope and inspiration.

Posted by: coolbearinmd | Nov 4, 2010 9:12:38 AM

7. That kid is going to grow up to be an exceptionally well adjusted cool young man, gay straight totally irrelevant. He will be confident, happy and super happy. Isn't that the point ? That Mum is brilliant.

Posted by: Paul | Nov 4, 2010 9:20:37 AM

8. He should have gone as Velma. Their heads would have exploded trying to figure that out.

Posted by: Michael W. | Nov 4, 2010 9:42:57 AM

9. You just HAD to make me teary eyed at the start of my work day, huh?

Great Mom!

Posted by: gerry | Nov 4, 2010 10:22:07 AM

10. I work in the head office of a Fortune 500 company (I think we rank in the mid-200s), and our executive team does an elaborate Halloween show that they tour to all the major offices in town.

In what has become a tradition, our male President always comes in drag. This year he was Lady Gaga, last year, he was Tenille, the year before, he was some other female pop star.

Point is if this kid has any future ahead of him, it's clearly as the CEO of one of America's largest corporations. I wonder if Moms A or B would want that for their children...? ;)

Posted by: DN | Nov 4, 2010 11:09:38 AM

11. What a fucked up country you have. So much hate and God fearing.

Posted by: allan d | Nov 4, 2010 12:02:58 PM

12. One of the greatest stories ever... :)

Posted by: Tre Gibbs | Nov 4, 2010 1:01:37 PM

13. And, since no one has mentioned another reason why this mom is so cool: this is an AMAZING COSTUME!

The day-glo colors, the child-safe approximation of go-go boots, the purse! I want this mom, and I want this costume!

What a cool kid. ;)

Posted by: Strepsi | Nov 4, 2010 1:05:32 PM

14. It would've been sweeter if she said "Better watch out cuz my son Daphne knows how to cut a B--" :D

Posted by: BlueMoon | Nov 4, 2010 2:20:35 PM

15. "If you think that me allowing my son to be a female character for Halloween is somehow going to ‘make’ him gay then you are an idiot. Firstly, what a ridiculous concept. Secondly, if my son is gay, OK. I will love him no less. Thirdly, I am not worried that your son will grow up to be an actual ninja so back off."

I want that Mommy!

Posted by: billy | Nov 4, 2010 2:30:27 PM

16. Bravo MOM. Why can't there be more like you. You will be blessed for loving your child no matter what. I would love to give her and her little boy a big hug. Many moms say they love their child unconditionally but can moms a,b,c say that if their son asked to do this? I also love how all the straight guys use halloween as an excuse to dress like a woman yet look down on glbt community for doing it every other day.

Posted by: ANTHONY | Nov 4, 2010 3:24:38 PM

17. "Thirdly, I am not worried that your son will grow up to be an actual ninja so back off."
    --------

OMG I loved this!!

That kid hit the jackpot in the Mom department. I hope she remains very visible and outspoken, as a wonderful example to the other parents.

Posted by: sparks | Nov 4, 2010 5:45:41 PM

18. "She continued on and on about how mean children could be and how he would be ridiculed. My response to that: The only people that seem to have a problem with it is their mothers."

Children learn the hate from their parents.

Shame on those mothers!!

I'm glad this woman stood her ground and her boy is lucky to have a brave mom like her.

She has my full support and applause!

Posted by: Blade of the Bunny | Nov 4, 2010 5:51:53 PM

19. One would think that in a society where teen bullying is such a big deal a mother would not want to paint a large target on her son. In a few years this kid is going to be getting his ass kicked when people see this story.

Posted by: Chris | Nov 4, 2010 7:25:23 PM

20. @Chris, this kid's dad is a cop. I have a feeling the other kids won't be bothering him.

Posted by: naughtylola | Nov 4, 2010 7:30:12 PM

21. Tangentially, mad props to Dad for (evidently) being cool with this. Certainly there was no mention of his father objecting or being otherwise not-OK with the Daphne costume.

Midwestern cop dad being cool with his little boy dressing up as Daphne for Halloween? Awesome Dad is awesome.

Posted by: naughtylola | Nov 4, 2010 8:19:48 PM

22. So what is the best way to make my kid grow up to be a ninja?

Posted by: Raincheck | Nov 4, 2010 9:14:20 PM

23. Sweet little boy! Bravo mom!

Posted by: Ericka | Nov 5, 2010 12:47:33 PM

24. FYI, as a mom who has shopped in the girls section for a boy, a TODDLER girl's top that is LARGE fits a boy who wears a SMALL.
    So, if one chooses to express an little individuality in preschool, you get the joy of feeling fat, too. Sneers from store clerks are free. My son had e-bay mastered by 4.

Posted by: BoysMom | Nov 5, 2010 2:27:06 PM