Ellen DeGeneres | Graeme Taylor | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Ellen Talks to 14-Year-Old Graeme Taylor, Who Defended Teacher at School Board Meeting

Graeme

You may recall the video of Graeme Taylor, who stood up for Ann Arbor teacher Jay McDowell at a school board meeting earlier this month. McDowell was disciplined on October 20 for removing two students who had made anti-gay remarks in class.

If you haven't seen that video, it's a must watch.

Today, Ellen DeGeneres talked to Graeme Taylor about his speech, and about how he came out at such an early age.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I'd love to see the video of Ellen but unfortunately there's this other video ad that is playing and drowning her out. Something about Conan... whatever. Why is Towleroad always adding video ads that automatically play? You know some of us are stuck with older OS's and browsers and slow connections. Auto-play ads are a nuisance as now i have to wait ten minutes for it to finish loading and playing just so I can see what I clicked thru to see.

Posted by: mike | Nov 22, 2010 12:50:50 PM

2. That was so inspiring it made me cry.

Posted by: Philo | Nov 22, 2010 12:54:57 PM

3. I don't think that the people at Towleroad control what ads specifically come up? I myself haven't had any audio playing ads on this website, but on those that DO have them the editors usually request people to report the specific ad causing trouble and they can try to get it removed from the lineup of random ads that pop up. I don't know if that is the case here, but I am willing to bet that the ads are NOT chosen by the content providers here.

Posted by: Niko | Nov 22, 2010 1:08:01 PM

4. And why should a wellspoken young man like Graeme not be allowed to marry the person he loves, whatever their gender? We need more brave souls like him - unafraid and unapologetic!

Posted by: mad1026 | Nov 22, 2010 1:11:23 PM

5. Wow! That kid is brave and smart. I'm glad he's on own team.

Posted by: 1♥ | Nov 22, 2010 1:12:39 PM

6. Oops! That's "our" team not own.

Posted by: 1♥ | Nov 22, 2010 1:15:36 PM

7. We are living in a time of real transition. Here you have this wonderful kid living his life, enjoying acceptance from his friends. But at the very same time, you have kids like Asher Brown and Billy Lucas being hounded to their graves at 13 by their own peers. Best of times, worst of times.

Posted by: Jorge | Nov 22, 2010 1:34:42 PM

8. This is terrific.

Meanwhile, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, please get rid of those instant on commercials on the site. I know that a fella has to make a living but there's gotta be a less teeth clenching way?

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Nov 22, 2010 1:39:46 PM

9. The kid is an articulate superstar, but I cannot imagine what it must be like to come out at 13 and fourteen. I only came out because I refused to call the man I lived with my roommate.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Nov 22, 2010 1:49:26 PM

10. Stunning. This lad has a bright future ahead of him.

Posted by: ichabod | Nov 22, 2010 1:50:08 PM

11. Loved his coming out of the closet story. He's a cutie and smart, he should do well in life.

Posted by: IAN F | Nov 22, 2010 1:54:16 PM

12. Time to add an adblocker to my Internet browser. Thanks Towleroad for making your site almost unbearable.

Posted by: mike2lane | Nov 22, 2010 1:54:48 PM

13. @YONKERSCONQUERS

Yeah, it's annoying, but they mentioned once recently that they are working on it. Hopefully they manage to get rid of them soon..

On topic - amazing kid, good for him. Hopefully we see plenty more follow in his footsteps.

Posted by: Moo | Nov 22, 2010 1:59:48 PM

14. Towleroad audio ads are destroying my visiting the site.
    Naselex is one but they also have been about movie ads as well. this started last week...

PLEASE FIX THIS.

Posted by: mcNnyc | Nov 22, 2010 2:02:59 PM

15. This kid is simply wonderful. So smart, funny and nice. All the best for him in the future.

No audio ad when I come here, not once.

Posted by: Matt26 | Nov 22, 2010 2:14:41 PM

16. People who are having trouble with ads: if you use Firefox, just install the add-on "AdBlocker Pro". It's free and blocks 99.9% of all ads on the web.

Posted by: Dave from Chicago | Nov 22, 2010 2:23:40 PM

17. What I wouldn't have given to have the courage and self-confidence this young man has when I was 14. I pray that his life is full of joy and happiness and love. He's a gutsy kid. The scholarship at the end made my eyes well up with tears.

Posted by: mike | Nov 22, 2010 2:27:42 PM

18. Wow, what a wonderful and brave young man. I wish I was half as articulate as him!

PS. No ad problems with Firefox or Chrome, both run ad blocker.

Posted by: Drew | Nov 22, 2010 2:38:44 PM

19. I had previously seen a story about him defending the teacher, but the story did not say he is gay. So now he's out to the world via The Ellen Show. This young man is amazing! Kudos!

Posted by: Fred | Nov 22, 2010 3:01:33 PM

20. This kid is very mature for his age. He speaks and communicates like a much older, more worldly and experienced adult. I wonder if he relates well to those his own age and generation?

Cute kid, and I don't mean that in a pervy way.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 22, 2010 4:35:19 PM

21. I give up on towleroad. These obnoxious audio ads are too much.

Good luck with whatever visitors you have left.

Posted by: melvin | Nov 22, 2010 4:41:35 PM

22. Use CHROME or FIREFOX.

Use an AD BLOCKER.

Although presumably Mr. Towler desires ad revenue, so....whatever.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 22, 2010 5:21:54 PM

23. What an amazing person!!!
    As for the audio ads...all you have to do is pause the video, scroll down find the ad and hit the little speaker thing...it mutes the ad. Geesh! The blog doesn't pay for itself!!

Posted by: Bobo | Nov 22, 2010 6:40:51 PM

24. Inspiring
    Smart, well spoken and self possessed.
    Hats off to his parents
    I love the faggy way he crosses his legs
    Love it
    Kid is fabulous
    So sure of himself

Posted by: captain underpants | Nov 22, 2010 7:05:44 PM

25. all those complaining about the ads, for crying out loud, use firefox with adblocker! Yeesh.

Posted by: Tom | Nov 22, 2010 9:25:33 PM