Australia | Gay Marriage | Hillary Clinton | News

Has Hillary Clinton Evolved on Marriage Equality Like Her Husband?

Clinton

I posted a humorous interview last week of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton during her trip to Australia. Another interview she did took a more serious turn.

The marriage equality debate in Australia is really heating up at the moment. One young Australian asked her where she stands on the issue during a youth town hall.

Her answer, AFTER THE JUMP...

Related...
Bill Clinton: I Was Wrong About Gay Marriage [tr]

Comments

1. oh and this is where i was getting that info, based on my memory from 3 (zillion) years ago:

I remember being struck that she framed her support of unions over marriage as "How we get to full equality is the debate we’re having," while Obama's was "I'm a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman."

in any case, like i said, i'm really not trying to rehash 2008, they're both wrong, and both great on other issues...but i wasn't inventing the info i was referencing, or at least i didn't think i was

Posted by: tacotaco | Nov 17, 2010 8:12:14 PM

2. This is clear evidence that she still wants to be president. Period.

Posted by: Anthony Veneziano | Nov 17, 2010 8:48:47 PM

3. Hey, TacoTaco. While we probably still don't see completely eye to eye on this topic, I want to give you credit for acknowledging that you may not have had all the facts when you made your earlier statements since that is something that happens very, very rarely in these comments sections.

Without getting too much back into the details of this discussion, allow me to note that, if I am understanding what you are expressing when you say that "the context and boundaries of what she was saying were quite different from what her husband was saying," then I completely agree with you on that point. The reason that Bill Clinton and Dick Cheney and Laura Bush suddenly had changes of heart on marriage equality shortly after they or their spouses last ran for office was simply because they could; i.e., they were freed from the shackles of constantly having to check what public opinion in Ohio and Florida and Missouri and Virginia is on this issue. It is for the same reasons that the President and Secretary Clinton presumably feel less free to ignore what public opinion on this issue in those places is, whether that is admirable or not.

While I found your earlier statements frustrating because I so frequently read comments of 2008 Clinton supporters on these sites who seem to feel as if DADT and DOMA would have been repealed and ENDA enacted by now had Mrs. Clinton been elected, I again want to give you credit for being willing to acknowledge that political considerations have often led Mrs. Clinton to take a cautious approach on issues of equality as well. Thanks for the exchange.

Posted by: Patric | Nov 17, 2010 9:19:30 PM

4. I hope this solves the mystery for all you Clinton supporters about how very much the same her administration would have been to the current Obama homophobia. Fucking slag.

Posted by: jhon centurri | Nov 18, 2010 1:15:54 AM

5. JHON SHUT THE FUCK UP.

LOL!

Posted by: JuJuBeeBee | Nov 18, 2010 1:19:46 AM

6. I understand on a gay theme web-site, why many are disappointed with Hillery's answer, however we need to come up with another word for gay marrige, and I would like to propose "MATE-TRIMONY", instead of matrimony. Sometimes, it is better to compromise at first... then evolve into marriage, rather then come up empty handed. I supported Hillery, in her run for President... and still do. But keep in mind, would you prefer John McCain or heaven forbid... Sarrah Palin as President? If we keep beating the Republicans and conservative Democrats over their heads with Gay Marriage, it could happen. There are many issues people vote on... and it's better to win with people who think more like we do, then not at all.

Posted by: jerry Pritikin | Nov 18, 2010 7:48:45 AM