Cindy McCain | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | John McCain | Military | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: John McCain Wants Another 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Study, Says This One Took the Wrong Approach

McShame

John McCain discussed "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" on Meet the Press, and seems to be unhappy that the results of the Pentagon's DADT study were leaked, cause now he's saying he won't listen to those results:

"I will listen to our military leaders, and not a study that is leaked."

McCain also criticizes the study itself, and says it took the wrong approach:

"All four service chiefs are saying we need a thorough and complete study of the effects, not how to implement the repeal, but the effects on morale and battle effectiveness. That's what I want, and once we get this study, we need to have hearings and we need to examine it and look at whether it's the kind of study that we wanted. It isn't in my view."

I have to believe that McCain was apprised of the questions in the study before it went out, but now that it's not going his way all of a sudden the study is bad.

It appears McCain won't be happy until he has a study that categorically keeps gays out of the military.

David Gregory also asked what he thought of Cindy McCain's recent statements on DADT.

Said McCain: "I respect the first amendment rights of every member of my family."

(Would love to know what went on behind-the-scenes that caused Cindy's swift turnabout.)

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

HRC released a statement reacting to McCain's remarks:

“Obviously the senator doesn’t like the preliminary findings of the Pentagon’s DADT survey, which found a clear majority of U.S. service members are okay serving with their gay and lesbian comrades. The senator has known all along the study developed by the Pentagon Working Group was looking at how to repeal DADT—not whether to do so.

“McCain has said he wanted to hear from the senior military leadership. He heard loud and clear from Secretary Gates and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, last February when both were firmly in support of repeal.

“McCain has said he wanted to hear from rank-and-file troops. He has just heard loud and clear from them through the survey. But he doesn’t like their answer-- and is stonewalling, trying to run out the clock on repeal by calling for congressional hearings.

“The truth is McCain is increasingly alone in his irrational opposition to open service. Sixty-four percent of Republicans disagree with McCain and favor lifting the ban. No matter the evidence, McCain will use whatever tactics at his disposal to not only stop repeal from moving forward, but will hold hostage the most critical military defense bill to do so.”

Comments

1. See? It *doesn't* matter whether the Republicans or the Democrats are in power...they're all the same.

See?

See?

Posted by: Rob G. | Nov 14, 2010 3:07:15 PM

2. the man is a walking corpse just know enough to climb into the grave. this man is not hero just old and pathetic. cindy probably has bruises but not they would show.john is abusive.

Posted by: walter | Nov 14, 2010 3:07:32 PM

3. McCain: "I will listen to our military leaders, and not a study that is leaked."

But, of course, he's already made it clear that he's not going to listen to anything that doesn't agree with his prejudice.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Nov 14, 2010 3:09:54 PM

4. @ BOBO

I have not bought into second class status, but I am a realist. Sure the Republicans would hold gays and lesbians hostage to play to their base. So why don't the Democrats play to their base? Simple numbers. Our base is significantly smaller. 20% of the nation self identify as Liberal, whereas 40% self identify as Conservatives. We need a lot more moderates to win elections than they do. As a result the GOP can getaway with this crap.

Posted by: JimSur212 | Nov 14, 2010 3:12:44 PM

5. Where's Dick Cheney and his hunting rifle when we need them?

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Nov 14, 2010 3:22:57 PM

6. He is a disgrace to humankind. Not even old age is an excuse for his kind of bigotry.

Posted by: Ryan | Nov 14, 2010 3:29:13 PM

7. A good example why elected officials shouldn't be able to hold office once they reach 50 years old.

Posted by: Jason Bell | Nov 14, 2010 3:32:43 PM

8. @jimsur212...all political leaders need to be held accountable. The fact is whether or not someone identifies as a liberal or conservative the MAJORITY of americans support the repeal of DADT, and the democrats have had the power to do something about it. This isn't about party affiliation.

Posted by: Bobo | Nov 14, 2010 3:35:41 PM

9. @BOBO

If you don't think this is about party affiliation you are kidding yourself. We need 60 votes in the Senate. We have 54 to 56 of 58 Democrats to repeal DADT in the lame duck session. How many Republicans do we have right now? ZERO. So how can you say this isn't about party affiliation? It's about NOTHING BUT party affiliation! The Gay community has one problem and it's a Republican problem.

Posted by: JimSur212 | Nov 14, 2010 3:51:36 PM

10. @JIMSUR212, Man you hit the nail on the head.The gay community still refuses to acknowledge our Republican problem. I guess It's easier to make Obama our major problem. It's starting to get obvious, especially to the non-gay communities that support us.I get asked all the time. Why are the Dems the bad guys when they are in fact trying to repeal, while the likes of McCain cant wait to fillbuster again.

Posted by: Caro | Nov 14, 2010 4:10:04 PM

11. jimsur212 you keep changing your argument. First you said the reason DADT would be taken out of the defense bill was because it's not all about the gays, that there are more important issues at hand then gay issues. Now it's that the Republicans are to blame, even though the senate was able to get through many bills over the past 22 months without republican support. I'm a democrat, and I voted for democrats, but holding those we elect responsible is our job as citizens, not supporting their every excuse because you voted for them.

Posted by: Bobo | Nov 14, 2010 4:12:42 PM

12. @BOBO

The Democrats can't get DADT repealed without some Republican votes because there are a handful of Democratic Senators from Conservative states who were never with us on DADT. Are you going to blame the whole Democratic party for those few? As for your other point, I was merely pointing out that if it becomes clear that DADT repeal will not pass, the Democrats will remove it from the defense appropriation bill in the interests of national security. It's what responsible adults do.

Posted by: JimSur212 | Nov 14, 2010 4:25:58 PM

13. jimsur212 my orginal comment, which you felt the overwhelming need to respond to, was that I feared the repeal would be taken out of the defense bill and gays once again would be put on the back burner. You responded to say you thought that that would probably happen, and that was because it's not all about the gays.
    Then you switch to the democrats have no other choice because it's the republicans fault, and I am somehow unfairly blaming democrats. I have already stated that I am a democrat, and voted for democrats, so can't see how that makes me anti-democrat. It is also a fact that the democrats have been able to pass other legislation that they felt was important without the support of republicans. The difference between us seems to be that I am not willing to just stand by and make excuses for the democrats merely because I voted for them.

Posted by: Bobo | Nov 14, 2010 4:57:37 PM

14. It doesn't matter what anybody thinks or says, rank and file soldiers, the top brass, or the American public. This pathetic, bitter, angry bigoted dinosaur doesn't want it to happen and will use his power as a Senator to block it.

With conservative R's and D's like this prick, there isn't much chance of getting the 60 votes needed JUST to be able to debate, much less vote yay or nay.

Posted by: Rich | Nov 14, 2010 5:15:12 PM

15. "I respect the first amendment rights of every member of my family." ...forget that crap you bozo, how about you just say I respect my wife's view. SImple.

Then will there we a study on if that study was suitable or if the effects of that study are good or bad. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: nicholasg | Nov 14, 2010 5:27:09 PM

16. Someone should tell him that we have civilian control of the military, and the military should listen to him, not the other way around.

Posted by: Alpha | Nov 14, 2010 5:33:48 PM

17. McCain is a perfect example of how closed minded people will not allow themselves to be confused by the facts. They've already made up their mind.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 14, 2010 5:35:15 PM

18. It's unfortunate that he isn't honorable enough to just say that he's against gay people serving in the military.

Posted by: Alpha | Nov 14, 2010 5:37:10 PM

19. I wonder if his angry stance on DADT stems from personal experience. You know what they say about he who protests too much. Senator McCain, whatever happened in that POW camp, doesn't mean you're gay. Nobody asked, you don't have to tell.

Posted by: Eddie | Nov 14, 2010 5:42:07 PM

20. Why rush in now? Couldn't we wait until the public accepts this more? Say from the current 70% to, oh, I don't know, 1120%? Maybe we should wait until another country adopts this - Uganda would be a good choice.

Still can't get over getting off with Fred back in high school, can you McCain. Freaking homophobe embarrassment to your state!

Posted by: Craig | Nov 14, 2010 6:00:52 PM

21. @Alpha. Unfortunately, six more years. He was just re-elected. He was up against a Tucson city councilman that had less than a single term as his only political experience. Pray for a heart attack.

Posted by: Craig | Nov 14, 2010 6:02:19 PM

22. I wonder how many gay groups will protest McCain's office and events or will they just protest President Obama because he can't get McCain to change his mind.

Posted by: Halely | Nov 14, 2010 6:21:15 PM

23. I pity Meghan and Cindy McCain for being related to this craven hypocrite. What a disgrace to the uniform he is. Kick his bitter old ass to the curb, Cindy!

Posted by: KennyL | Nov 14, 2010 6:28:01 PM

24. @ HALELY.It is always so much easier to hate Obama. Don't you know that?. Even after McCain hate speech on our airwaves, He will still be viewed more favourably than Obama by many in our lovely community. Amazing, just amazing.

Posted by: Ceazer | Nov 14, 2010 6:33:50 PM

25. @Craig: I would share that sentiment about few other people, but in this case it's exactly how I feel. He's not the same person he was 10 years ago unless 10 years ago he was an extraordinary liar. I too once thought he was capable of independent thought and reason.

@Ceazer: It is amazing. Gays here and elsewhere repeat the "fierce advocate" phrase ad nauseum, claim it doesn't make a difference what party they vote for, and say Repubs and Dems are the same, yet ignore that zero Repubs vote for our rights. They seem to be ignorant masochists. Not every Repub is as bad as McCain, though---some are a lot worse.

As for Cindy, I'm sure she's been tucking into her "anxiety" prescription pills and avoiding her husband since her obligatory appearance on election night. I honestly don't understand why she stays married to him. Without her money, he'd be lost. And being a political wife sucks. I just don't see the upside for her---she'd still have plenty of influential friends and fabulous events to attend even without a Senator husband. And most political gatherings are dull as dirt and get extremely repetitive.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 14, 2010 7:16:16 PM