Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | Jim Swilley | Joel Osteen | News | Whoopi Goldberg

Watch: Rev. Joel Osteen Confronted on 'The View' About His Views That the Bible is Against Gays and Homosexuality is a Choice

Osteen

You may recall that last time Rev. Joel Osteen appeared on The View he said "homosexuality is not God's best." (clip HERE)

Yesterday, he attempted to clarify those remarks in another appearance (and I don't think he really clarified much: "I don't think it's God's best for your life. I don't think it's not in God's best making us.

He was also asked about megachurch pastor Jim Swilley, and was confronted by Whoopi and Joy Behar about his remarks that the Bible is against gays and homosexuality is a choice.

Unfortunately, Sherri changes the topic before they can really get into it. Can I have hands on who thinks Osteen is a closet case?

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. he iS an ENORMOUS PUSS!

Posted by: todd | Nov 17, 2010 8:22:29 AM

2. Well--he looks like one of us to me.

Posted by: Danny | Nov 17, 2010 8:39:58 AM

3. The Bible-thumper hates teh gays. Quelle suprise!

Posted by: candideinncc | Nov 17, 2010 8:44:26 AM

4. I think Joel is a good man who is trapped between the pressures of the evangelical christian church and wanting to do good things for all people. Unfortunately, he keeps bowing toward the doctrines of the church and what he is "supposed" to do instead of doing what is right. Perhaps, he will come forward and speak for acceptance. He is popular enough that me might decide to really make a difference in christian love instead of worrying about just making money. I do believe he is a good man and NO I don't believe he is a closet case!

Posted by: james Brown | Nov 17, 2010 8:46:27 AM

5. "A pastor in leadership like that is not going to stay in a Christian church like ours."

What an arrogant statement! And he doesn't think he is being judgemental?

Posted by: voet | Nov 17, 2010 8:58:34 AM

6. @James. No, he is emphatically NOT a "good man". With gay kids killing themselves because of attitudes like this espoused by the "Reverend" Joel Osteen, this crap should not be excused. Nowadays, I just lump all the bigots together...Fred Phelps, Pat Robertson, John McCain, Maggie Gallagher, Tony Perkins, Joel Osteen. All are bigots, spreading hate.

Posted by: Terry | Nov 17, 2010 9:16:47 AM

7. That a charlatan like this gets airtime is a measure of how far this nation has fallen.

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Nov 17, 2010 9:26:39 AM

8. They are all arguing "oh god thinks this" "oh the bible says this" "oh but god said". They have no fucking clue what they're talking about. They don't know god any more than my dog does. People just have a stream of bullshit constantly flowing from their mouths and they don't even realize it. The whole conversation is a non starter.

Posted by: Wes | Nov 17, 2010 9:34:42 AM

9. I don't want to sound (too) bitchy, but has this fellow had work done? His face just looks a little too camera-ready if you ask me.

I'd love to see his high school yearbook picture.

Posted by: esther blodgett | Nov 17, 2010 9:35:51 AM

10. Religion is stupidity and ignorance made manifest.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 17, 2010 9:36:31 AM

11. I watched few of his shows and shows they were, well staged and performed but very little to say. His like many other's southern born again church is all about money money money. Give them more money and God will bless them with more money, which they can keep because it is from Holy Spirit. Give five minutes daily to God and you'll get more money, new car and bigger house. God means money for them, a sort of cosmic cash machine. There is no room for anybody but straights. And then they sit and smile, oh, we are saved, we are the ones who are the way meant to be. Give me a break.

Posted by: Matt26 | Nov 17, 2010 9:52:03 AM

12. That tie says "power bottom."

Posted by: AlexM | Nov 17, 2010 9:53:59 AM

13. Like in the old days, religion = power, and power corrupts. The minute any organized religious institution gains political power in this country, they should be stripped of their tax-free status. You can stay in your cathedrals of hypocrisy if you want, and judge everyone you like. I have no problem with that. But once you take your narrow agenda to political "leaders" and try to influence them, your tax privileges should be stripped away and you should be forced to rely on only your flock for monetary sustenance.

Posted by: Jonster | Nov 17, 2010 10:00:49 AM

14. First time I saw him, years ago, I said "that man is gayer than I am". I still believe. Poor sad bastard. I'm sure he will be in some gay scandal within two years.

Posted by: secretagentman | Nov 17, 2010 10:01:28 AM

15. Sherri Shepard makes me sick. She intentionally changed the topic. In my opinion, she is way too closed minded to be a host on Thee View. She doesn't appear to be very intelligent either...

Posted by: GravyTrain | Nov 17, 2010 10:35:44 AM

16. I think he's a slimy, smarmy asshole who wants to make as much money as possible by catering to the lowest common denominator.

Karma is a bitch and she ain't biased.

Posted by: Bobby | Nov 17, 2010 10:52:46 AM

17. He dyes his hair.

Posted by: Danny | Nov 17, 2010 10:56:07 AM

18. He says homosexuality isn't "God's best". Well, homosexuality is MUCH better than conning old women out of their food money every month so Osteen can ride in a limo while the old woman's eating cat food.
    This POS is a con artist, not a man of the cloth. And his brethren in the "prosperity" gospel ponzi scheme are no better.

Posted by: Doc Marten | Nov 17, 2010 11:17:05 AM

19. No I saw him in person. No work has been done to his face. I believe the purpose of him attending the show was to share his christmas book with others. The GMA show was done beautifully. Perhaps that was not idea of Barbara, Whoppi and Joy. But that was the agenda for Sherri. She stayed on the topic. They were both gaving their view on homosexuality and we should respect both views.

Posted by: KC | Nov 17, 2010 11:19:54 AM

20. What a passive-aggressive piece of crap. Just beneath that slimy treacly-sweet voice beats the heart of a murderous egoist.

The guy literally makes my stomach turn.

Posted by: WebHybrid | Nov 17, 2010 11:19:59 AM

21. @AlexM – Funny!

Posted by: rascal | Nov 17, 2010 11:21:31 AM

22. "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate." —1 Corinthians 1:19

That says it all, doesn't it?

Posted by: jomicur | Nov 17, 2010 11:34:28 AM

23. Good question. No, I don't think he is gay, his vibe is more like an into groups, anything can happen kind of thing. Big appetite. Question for you: Governor Chris Christie NJ; Do you get the gay echo, vibe from him? I do. It drives me crazy, do I need to fine tune my gaydar?

Posted by: Malo | Nov 17, 2010 12:23:24 PM

24. "Can I have hands on who thinks Osteen is a closet case?"

Pffttt.. Isn't that obvious? Another self-loathing and in denial closet case with a full time beard.

Posted by: gayalltheway | Nov 17, 2010 12:51:23 PM

25. Just a matter of time before those closet doors come swinging open. :)
    Let's just hope he's not a boyfucker like Walt Disney.

Posted by: SFshawn | Nov 17, 2010 1:09:04 PM