Cenk Uygur | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Cenk Uygur's Message for Gay Republicans — the GOP Just Isn't That Into You

Uygur

Cenk Uygur has a message for gay Republicans, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Now if only gay Republicans would listen.....

Posted by: Bob | Nov 11, 2010 1:16:59 PM

2. Normally I agree with Cenk Uygur all the way. However I take a little exception. Let me say I did not vote Repug this last election, nor will I ever, but we have more than two choices. The two party system is broken. Repugs hate us, but the Democrats are not showing much friendship either. Democrats like Obama give pretty speeches about LGBT civil-rights but when it comes time to deliver they drop the ball. They've been doing it for a long time. As the both parties move more and more to the right, neither supports my views. I'm never voting for the R's but that doesn't mean I'll automatically vote for the D's either. My message to politicians: You play politics with my civil-rights, my relationships, my very life and you lose my vote and you lose your job. If the Democrats want my time, money or vote they have to earn it.

Posted by: Brad | Nov 11, 2010 1:17:54 PM

3. He's right, I agree entirely with him. I am one of those gays who supports the Iraq war and broadly support the foreign policy of the neoconservatives. But Cenk is right that my belief in interventionism is trumped by the fact that I am gay and the Republicans want to make my life, and the lives of all gay Americans, as difficult as possible and that is unacceptable and it's why I'll never vote for them. The Democrats aren't great, either, that's for sure. But they're not actively campaigning against us, and that's kind of the best we can hope for at the moment.

Posted by: David | Nov 11, 2010 1:32:21 PM

4. Cenk, they get it. They just don't give a damn, as long as the Republicans promise them tax cuts, they'll vote (R). That's all that matters, saving a few hundred dollars a year on property taxes.

"The two party system is broken"

And it will remain that way unless there's a voter revolt that demands changes to the way we vote. There's no incentive for R or D to change the system, it works perfectly for them, so things like Instant Runoff Voting won't happen any time soon.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Nov 11, 2010 1:34:06 PM

5. This completely misses the point. Support for repeal of DADT among REPUBLICANS is 56%.

The opposition isn't because the GOP "isn't that into us". It's worse than that. It's a willingness to EXPLOIT homophobia and punish gay service members.

Posted by: BobN | Nov 11, 2010 1:42:24 PM

6. Personal monetary greed trumps freedom and equality for most gay republicans and they will admit that. They see it as a slow road with the Democrats, so they choose a closed road with the Republicans. It might be a road to nowhere, but at least theyre financially comfortable.

Posted by: Gregoire | Nov 11, 2010 1:44:43 PM

7. Cenk's right. When I read those statistics, I shook my head in disbelief. It's one thing to be pissed at the Democrats for not doing enough/what they promised but it's quite another to actually cast a vote for the party that HATES you. Who are these 31 percent of LGBTs who vote Republican and how stupid can they be?

Posted by: StillMarriedinCalifornia | Nov 11, 2010 1:47:55 PM

8. Painting with a broad brush is stupid. We hate it when people act as though all gay men are nelly queens or Chelsea boys, etc. Yet, too many of you presume all Republicans are evil.

If Democrats were our saviors, perhaps they might have accomplished something when our "Fierce Advocate" had veto-proof majorities. I guess that means that not all Democrats are our friends, just like all Republicans are not our enemy.

We need gay Republicans speaking up in the party. It's good for everybody.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Nov 11, 2010 2:00:12 PM

9. Ok, Lincoln Lounger, then please explain how not ONE Republican Senator voted for the repeal of DADT while nearly every Democrat did. How in virtually every instance in every level of government in every state, the only party who is voting for, let alone introducing, pro-gay legislation is the Democratic Party. How there are many instances of anti-gay platforms in the Republican party (The recent Texas Republican embarrassment comes immediately to mind) yet there are no anti-gay platforms (quite the contrary) on the Democrats side. Saying there are exceptions in the Republican party is not enough. The party stands for anti-gay hatred at every turn.

Posted by: StillMarriedinCalifornia | Nov 11, 2010 2:11:28 PM

10. Still Married in California, the reason is the Democrats did not allow them to propose amendments and that is why some of our Republican allies voted against DADT repeal, because DADT repeal was linked with the DREAM act.
    Reid should of just putted a vote w/o the DREAM act and see what Republican support would of happened.

Posted by: Matt Munson | Nov 11, 2010 2:26:44 PM

11. For all their promises to the contrary, Democrats are rarely our staunch friends -- but Republicans are always our enemies.

So, I say: Vote Democratic -- you may not move forward, but at least you won't go backwards.

Posted by: K in VA | Nov 11, 2010 2:26:49 PM

12. Americans, usually goaded by politicians, need a boogie man. There needs to be an enemy. Back in the 60s it was first the blacks, who wanted equal rights and then in the late 60s, the Commies. They were going to blow up America. We hated them. 70s it was the North Vietnamese AND the hippies. Hated those hippies...they were promoting free sex (Americans as a whole are terrified of sex and sexuality but not sexualization of young women and to a lesser extend young men...we love that) drugs, and communal respect and love. In the 80s, the wall came down and the war was over and we as a country searched and searched for a new enemy...we tried a lot of them on, like shirts at Macy's. But like most shirts from Macy's eventually we just left them hanging in the closet. Then in the 90s hating the Muslims -- and by proxy all Middle Eastern people began to take shape. And as gay men and women started oozing out of the overflowing closets and the memory of Stonewall and the Castro riots weren't going away, gay men and women became an enemy...basically because we wouldn't shut up and crawl back into the shadows.

Enemies up until this time were in three seperate catagories: geo-political, religious, or cultural. But in the 2000s America started finding fashion with hating Muslims as a political/religious enemy and gay men and women as religious/cultural enemies (the one constant being RELIGION.) And we are still living that hatred today, especially as the Republican party has sold it's soul to neo-Christians and asshat Tea Party people who believe that Jesus was born white and was wrapped in an American flag while laying in the manger...somewhere in Oklahoma.

I imagine in 20 years, that hating gays will be passe. it'll be a hard 20 years but the more exposure to gay men and women each generation is, the less fear they have and the less ignorant they behave.

And America will be onto a new enemy. Because we as a nation cannot seem to survive without someone to hate.

Posted by: BartB | Nov 11, 2010 2:27:07 PM

13. "Cenk Uygur's Message for Gay Republicans — the GOP Just Isn't That Into You"

Here's a clue, Cenk: Neither are the Democrats. They're just into our money and our votes. They don't really give a shit about US, and certainly not our civil rights.

And seriously, this fuck is lecturing us? the same Cenk who said he couldn't be bothered with respecting the wishes of gays who don't want to be called "homosexual"?

GO FUCK YOURSELF CENK, we're just not that into YOU.

Posted by: gaylib | Nov 11, 2010 2:31:47 PM

14. and furthermore, why the fuck is he lecturing US???? 70-30 is pretty damn impressive for a dem constituency. How about he go lecture women, or young voters, or some other group who voted in greater numbers for the GOP. This is just more of the scapegoating and proliferation of the meme that "the gays" cost the dems the election.

Posted by: gaylib | Nov 11, 2010 2:34:55 PM

15. Lincolnlounger. Thank you! We struggle against stereotypes every day and yet are so quick to stereotype half the country as stupid, evil and enemies. True, most enemies of LGBT initiatives are repubs. But that doesn't mean they are all like that. I know some wonderful people who are republican for many political and economic reasons, but are furious that the party is putting so much energy into forcing their moral superiority on the country.

Still, can't help but agree with the clip. I am not strictly democrat by ideology, but find it hard to justify voting for a party that is officially against my way of life, who I am. I feel that I have to vote democrat just because they aren't overtly trying to ignorantly thwart my personal wellbeing and happiness.

Posted by: Brad | Nov 11, 2010 2:37:26 PM

16. "you may not move forward, but at least you won't go backwards."

except when we do, of course. Like bringing back DADT from the dead. But even if it were true, you sure do set the bar low for yourself. Sounds like a campaign slogan for eyore.

Posted by: gaylib | Nov 11, 2010 2:38:54 PM

17. @Matt--that's sort of an excuse for DADT, I guess, but what about the rest of what I wrote? It's not difficult to figure out who to vote for when something like 90 percent or more of Democrats are on your side (at least in words-- cold comfort, I know) while the number of Republicans on your side can fit on the head of pin. And the complete and utter disappointment that we feel in the Dems not living up to their promises is certainly valid--and needs to be addressed--but the fact remains; when the election is between a candidate from one party that champions your rights and a candidate from another party that actively works AGAINST your rights (and a third party doesn't have a chance in hell); why is there any question who to vote for? The way to punish a Democrat who doesn't actively work for our equality is to replace him with another Democrat who DOES--not to vote in a Republican Hater out of spite.

Posted by: StillMarriedinCalifornia | Nov 11, 2010 2:50:19 PM

18. @BRAD I agree with you totally. But, it brings up a sense that both parties are worthless to LGBT people. To paraphrase John Nance Garner, FDR's first vice president: "Neither party is worth a bucket of warm piss".

@GREGOIRE I'd rather be poor, free with full civil equality than rich but always on the outside looking in. It's the half-full/half-empty syndrome: I vote Democratic, at least my cup is half-full; I vote republicon, my cup is always half-empty.

A pox on both parties' houses.

Posted by: mike | Nov 11, 2010 2:52:10 PM

19. He's wrong on another point. Democrats don't like us either.

Posted by: Name: | Nov 11, 2010 2:53:43 PM

20. @Gaylib: The dems just want to be acquantances while the repubs pick on us and steal our lunch money while their friends "average joes" sit by and laugh.

He's right in that the republicans are actively against us. Your statement that the dems just want our votes/money is just as telling. The repubs turn DOWN our money and they use us to get votes from other people. They don't want our votes. They only want us alive so that we can help scare religious people into voting for them.

Posted by: Randy | Nov 11, 2010 2:58:31 PM

21. Randy, I'm not suggesting republicans are any better. Just don't fool yourselves into thinking the dems give a rats ass about you. Every individual running for office will have to earn my vote, regardless of their party. If they support gay civil rights, I will support them, if the don't, I won't. And since Dems have a history of making big promises only to distance themselves once elected, I will also only vote for politicians with a proven track record of fighting for equality. promises don't mean shit, especially when the leader of the party is a serial liar.

Posted by: gaylib | Nov 11, 2010 3:05:02 PM

22. He is so wrong on one point "Republican DO want to kill gays" they would want nothing better then to get rid of us all, once and for all...

Posted by: p | Nov 11, 2010 3:09:34 PM

23. "He is so wrong on one point "Republican DO want to kill gays" they would want nothing better then to get rid of us all, once and for all..."

Nah, not buying that. The evangelicals who are going to be Raptured any time now so they can be with Jesus, sure they'd like to smite us, but the part of the Republican party that uses the Bible thumpers like the Dems use GLBTTQI doesn't really give a shit about gays except as a wedge issue, they just want to make sure they don't have to pay taxes and there's no regulations or oversight on businesses.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Nov 11, 2010 3:59:07 PM

24. I know for a fact that the democratic president is not on our side either.

Posted by: Manhattanvince | Nov 11, 2010 5:27:00 PM

25. Many of these comments are so inane. The Democrats have passed the repeal in the House. We need 60 votes in the Senate and we have 54 to 56 of the 58 Democrats. How many Republicans do we have right now? ZERO. May I say that again? Z E R O !!! That's right, Z E R O!!! Did you get that? Z E R O!!! The gay community does not have a Democratic problem, we have a Republican problem. I'll change my mind when Scott Brown, Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins agree to vote for repeal in the lame duck session. Until then... I would suggest that the Dem bashers refrain from attacking the only friends we have.

Posted by: JimSur212 | Nov 11, 2010 6:36:42 PM