Chris Colfer | Darren Criss | Glee | Music | Music Video | News | Ryan Murphy

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Glee 'All-Guy' Teenage Dream Dance Remix and Video

D_criss

DJ MichaelAngelo (remix) and DJ DigiMark (video) sent along this unofficial dance remix and video of the all-guy "Teenage Dream" from last week's Glee.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

The track, which is set to become Glee's biggest-selling track of all time, likely sold close to 200,000 copies last week.

Reuters reports

"The track was released on Tuesday and is on course to sell perhaps 150,000 to 175,000 downloads by week's end on November 14, according to industry prognosticators. According to Columbia Records, which releases 'Glee's' music, the track did gangbusters on its first day, racking up 55,000 in sales via iTunes -- marking the highest first-day sales for any 'Glee' track. Currently, the cast of the Fox TV show saw its best sales week with its debut single, a cover of Journey's 'Don't Stop Believin'.' It bowed with 177,000 according to Nielsen SoundScan upon its release in May of 2009."

In an interview with AfterElton, Glee creator Ryan Murphy confirms that the show just signed a deal with Darren Criss and the bullying storyiline should continue through the end of the season, with ramifications on everyone.

Said Murphy of the single: "That’s our biggest-selling single ever in the history of the show and the fact that it’s one boy singing to another boy on a network television show and it’s a No. 1 song and it sold probably 200,000 copies in one week is a very profound thing that I’m personally very proud of. I never expected that to happen. I’m catching up with the week that was and figuring out, OK, now we have this great commodity in something that people have really embraced. It just shows to me that people are hungry for that."

Watch the unofficial dance remix and remixed video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Glee Cast - Teenage Dream (DJ MichaelAngelo's Sing Mix)(DJ DigiMark Remix Video) from DJ DigiMark on Vimeo.

Comments

1. Meh. The remix lacks all the poignancy of the original.

Posted by: Alexander | Nov 15, 2010 8:53:54 AM

2. Take one part current chart-topping song, add a bunch of attractive boys and make sure none of the actual cast is a part of it, and whammo you have their highest selling song to date. Not a big surprise.

I really disliked that episode, but that might have more to do with having gone to a prep school and knowing that this portrayal is absolutely absurd. No 16-18 year old seriously fist pumps an acapella group.

Posted by: Ray | Nov 15, 2010 8:54:15 AM

3. Meh its ok, I liked "One Love" with Puck and Artie better though.

Posted by: TripPsyc | Nov 15, 2010 9:01:45 AM

4. I can't get into this version of the song and agree with Alexander that it lacks the poignancy of the original.

Posted by: Rick in Cincinnati | Nov 15, 2010 9:19:35 AM

5. @Ray. I liked the episode. I think you're right though. It was much more a depiction of a college experience. All male cappella groups (depending on the group) are treated like rock stars in college.

Posted by: Jonathan | Nov 15, 2010 9:21:38 AM

6. @Ray, haha that was the part that had me cringing, all these white boys doing that wannabe-gangsta crap to another bunch of white boys singing a capella. Yeah, they're so "street". What parallel universe does that happen in? Because it certainly doesn't happen in this one.

Oh well, the rest of the episode was pretty good, although it would have been better if Kurt had picked up a lock and hit Bully upside the head with it after the kissing part.

(I did buy the song off iTunes, though.)

Posted by: naughtylola | Nov 15, 2010 9:25:44 AM

7. @ray You're absolutely right. No group of 16-18 year olds fist pumps an acapella group and the boys' prep school I went to (and many of them, I'd guess) was as or more homophobic than any other school. But what I loved about this episode (and this scene) was that it blended real world (the bullying, closet case) with the world as we'd like it be (the warblers scene.) And Chris Colfer's reaction absolutely nailed the way many of us probably looked the first time we walked into a room full of "people like us" having a great time (usually a bar.) I also think that storytelling like this makes the fantasy powerful for us and accessible (in a positive, teaching way) for those young and impressionable viewers who grow up to be voters and allies.

Posted by: dm | Nov 15, 2010 9:26:09 AM

8. Right, because all dance remixes are supposed to be "poignant." I can't tell you how many times I've found myself standing in the middle of a sweaty dancefloor pontificating the relevancy of "Let's get soaking wet." She's right, dammit, life really is a pool that we should all dive into.

Posted by: crispy | Nov 15, 2010 9:30:05 AM

9. Don't like the new harmonies.

Much prefer this cover by a talented local gayboy, Gregory Douglass:

Posted by: KevinVT | Nov 15, 2010 9:38:57 AM

10. Gregory Douglass is AMAZINGLY talented...gay men should be buying his music in addition to all those female divas...and of course I can not forget Eric Himan...both of these men are OUT and PROUD and GAY!

Check them out and buy!

Posted by: True Words | Nov 15, 2010 9:48:39 AM

11. WTF? This is all about Chris Colfer's face when that handsome boy is singing TO HIM and he's disbelieving but realizing that all the romance and love that he had seen available to others but not to him is _there_ right at that moment. If you can watch those moments and not remember how that felt, well, try.

Posted by: Greg | Nov 15, 2010 9:49:00 AM

12. Chris' character on Glee is someone off of the A-List...he has continually been written as a little diva with NO tolerance for anyone else that is not completely "top drawer" in the areas of food, design, fashion, etc...no he does not deserve to be bullied nor do we the viewer need to suffer thru his shallow characterization.

Posted by: True Words | Nov 15, 2010 10:05:34 AM

13. I love the song, I love their version, and the dance mix is cool, but the chord progression used in the dance mix is at odds with the chords of the song.

Still, a great rendition and a great episode of GLEE!

Posted by: Bobby | Nov 15, 2010 10:10:18 AM

14. Great effort but I gotta admit the original hits a spot in the heart that this misses.The wonderful thing about all this is the way it's become such a freekn phenomena-trending NUMBER 1 downloaded single on iTunes and millions of Youtube and HULU views . All of this for a flirtatious first encounter between two OUT AND PROUD gay teems ( on a major network and in prime time BTW) . This is truly amazing -keep all the buzz going

Posted by: slippy | Nov 15, 2010 10:10:29 AM

15. @True Words, except for his relationship with his greasemonkey dad, which has been a great thread through both seasons (and I think will get more intense, I heard rumors about parents getting involved in the bullying arc, and I'm pretty sure I know where they're going to take it.)

Go back and watch the episodes with Burt (heh, Burt and Kurt!), particularly the one where he has a heart attack (if you can ignore all the atheist-bashing, it was pretty irksome) to see a couple more dimensions to Kurt. Also, the ep where Kurt becomes a placekicker. Good stuff.

Posted by: naughtylola | Nov 15, 2010 10:12:13 AM

16. If I were at a club and this version came on, I wouldn't get excited by and start dancing. In fact, I was kinda "meh" on the original Katy Perry version. Glee managed to improve the song with their acapella version and made me fall in love with it. This remix ruins what I found great about this version by butchering it with electronic garbage smashed on top.

If you enjoy dancing to this remix, good for you. I wouldn't. It's akin to the shitty Seasons of Love remix that I heard at the clubs when Rent came out (although that was worse, in my opinion).

Posted by: Rick in Cincinnati | Nov 15, 2010 10:14:39 AM

17. Darren has seduced us, not by pure vocal talent, but by the ensemble of "little gests": the awkward pointing in of his feet at the start of the dance, the head tics and bumps, the arching of his eyebrows, the scanning around him to keep all involved... His warm, positive, punchy personality is what seduced!

Posted by: Sean | Nov 15, 2010 10:21:14 AM

18. Crispy is, as usual, hysterical.

Posted by: The Milkman | Nov 15, 2010 10:23:42 AM

19. @Bobby - it's complementary, not conflicting. The string synth at 1:20 is what hooked me big-time. I think it's a great mix.

Posted by: Sean Mac | Nov 15, 2010 10:31:23 AM

20. I like the original and like the remix. And this is an excuse to watch Darren Criss for a few minutes. Such a cutie.

Posted by: sparks | Nov 15, 2010 10:48:39 AM

21. As they used to say on American Bandstand "it's got a nice beat and it's easy to dance to." I really don't like the Warblers jackets, though, since they remind me too much of The Prisoner:

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Nov 15, 2010 10:48:49 AM

22. I loved every second of it from beginning to end.

Posted by: Frank | Nov 15, 2010 11:11:13 AM

23. no, No, N0, NONONO!!! The brilliance and beauty of the acappella version is its simplicity and joy. It doesn't need all the overproduction. Let it be!

Posted by: mad1026 | Nov 15, 2010 11:19:28 AM

24. Wow, a fictional television show in primetime shows an out gay high school kid, the only one in his school, who is bullied with no support. He finds some solace from another out high school kid, in a fictional school where they break out in song, support each other regardless of being gay, black, latin asian or different in any other way.

And in an age where politicians still demonize us, as do 'christians' who claim Jesus cared more about hating and denying us rights, than say feeding the poor.

Next you are going to tell me that there is no Oz, that Dorothy did not meet the Scarecrow, Tin Man, or Wizards and Witches. There is no ET, no Wisteria Lane, no Batman, Superman or Lone Ranger. No Middle Earth, no Matrix, no Star Wars or Princess Bride.

No Margo Channing, no George Bailey, no Captain Jack Sparrow or Rick's Cafe. Man why even watch movies or TV.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 15, 2010 11:39:19 AM

25. Not a big fan of Katy Perry (to me she sounds like Minnie Mouse) but I loved the Glee cast version of this song. The remix is ok, but it sounds like every other dance mix you hear in every gay bar on the planet, not very unique. The Glee cast version is the best. Glee is a great show. I wish Kurt weren't such a stereotype, but I do like his character and his story lines. Glee is not based in any reality except that the emotional situations the characters go through are very real. Finally a show about high school that doesn't focus on jocks and cheerleaders and actually glorifies those kids in the arts.

Posted by: Brad | Nov 15, 2010 11:42:09 AM