Chris Colfer | Glee | Kiss | News | Television

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Glee's Kurt Hummel Gets His First Kiss — SPOILERS

Hummel

WARNING: SPOILERS

Kurt Hummel got his first kiss on Glee, which wasn't necessarily what anyone expected.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Why has no one mentioned that after the first kiss attack, Ham Hock lunged in for a second taste of those soft Kurt lips? Isn't there a rule that admits for a possible "accident" on the first kiss but absolutely no doubt on the second attempt? I'm afraid that this football player has a serious case of the gay.

Posted by: Hue-Man | Nov 10, 2010 10:14:18 AM

2. TRUE WORDS you say that the writers got it wrong with the bully having issues over his own sexuality,

'This goes back to the idea that those who are violent against gays are "in the closet"; nothing could be further from the truth. It is a typical plot and we have seen it in numerous gay movies over the years.'

Sorry to disappoint and kill your theory, but Murphy, who created the show, says the storyline is based on a true story of someone he grew up with.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 10, 2010 10:25:27 AM

3. Mercedes and Puck were hooking up briefly, the product of their union being one of the best numbers that Glee has produced to date ("The Lady is a Tramp").

I don't think this is any kind of sign that Kurt is going to end up with this guy, I think it was a left hook to shock people into paying attention. As a teaser, there is an audio track floating around out there of Blaine and Kurt singing "Baby It's Cold Outside", so I'm crossing my fingers that that's the direction the writers are going...

Posted by: naughtylola | Nov 10, 2010 10:34:49 AM

4. glee has been a disappoint for me (what ive seen at least). the show usually feels forced. but whenever i see it, that kid that plays kurt - his acting is ON POINT. he deserves an emmy

Posted by: JJ | Nov 10, 2010 10:43:24 AM

5. @True Words, something similar happened to a FOAF when he was in high school 20 years ago, although without the violence of forced intimacy.

Posted by: naughtylola | Nov 10, 2010 10:46:34 AM

6. wow. i don't like the show generally, but that scene was dynamite.

Posted by: richard | Nov 10, 2010 11:20:06 AM

7. Give Colfer an Emmy NOW.

And to all those bitching about Mercedes being in the background, I totally miss her, too. BUT, last season everyone bitched about "Asian Guy" getting no lines. Now, Chang is an actual character, not just a background dancer. The show has so many characters, they're going to have to take turns. I'm sure Mercedes will be back in the spotlight at some point. Love how little face time Rachel and Finn got in this episode.

PS - Screw Sam, Blaine is way hotter.

Posted by: Brian | Nov 10, 2010 11:34:46 AM

8. Love love love last night's episode. I am wondering if they are going to tackle the teen suicide issue. Now they have Karofsky as a candidate for that.

Posted by: deedeey | Nov 10, 2010 12:22:07 PM

9. WHAT THEY DID RIGHT - Fantastic emmy award worthy episode! So many favorite parts. When Blaine comes out and says he's gay and these guys are straight, it's perfection. No big showy production about it, or jokes to "take the edge off." I'm gay, they're straight, moving on. That's they way everyone should be with it.

Kurt/Chris is doing some amazing work for a new actor. He puts so much emotion into the scenes, we watched them all twice last night.

In the back of my mind I thought the jock was gay because of the intensity of his hate for Kurt, but I still gasped when he lunged for a kiss... so amazing!

The Katy Perry acapella version was genius. I would have loved to attend that school!

The Start Me Up/Living On A Prayer mashup was great! The girls looked amazing!.

Many more things, but great episode!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Nov 10, 2010 12:38:38 PM

10. WHAT DIDN'T SEEM RIGHT - Far overshadowed by the awesomeness of the episode, some things made me pause:

Why on EARTH would Mr. Shue tell that poor woman that the guys think of her to lose their wood?! One of the most cruel things I have ever seen doen on this show. It was bullshit, and he could have gotten out of it. Made me hate his character, which hasn't been very likeable this season.

Why is Puck fat?

Kurt's mother was wealthy, so in actuality, having him attend the boys school would be a no brainer. His only real friend is a barely there Mercedes, so I really have to see a good reason for him to stay.

Why did they let the black guy go? He gets the boot, and then they hire the blonde blue-eyed Sam? Doesn't seem fair. And it's a glee club with 4 straight football players, 5 if you count Artie? Is that really reflective?

Sam and Quinn storyline = Blah.

Tina and Mike Chang storyline - Beyond Blah.

Less Mercedes = Less fun.

I use to love Finn's character... not so much anymore. What happened?

And what is up with the over the top production numbers??? The 1st season was great because it was a bunch of misfits coming together with one voice that touched everyone's heart. No special effects or lavish costumes, just their voices. Something kids across the US could relate to and emulate. Now you have most of the kids looking like AB Fitch Models (Sam, Finn, Quinn, Brittney, Santana, Mike), Rachel Berry seems to have stopped eating, and the numbers look like music videos. Can we pull back a bit, please?

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Nov 10, 2010 12:53:55 PM

11. @ TrueWords: Everyone I've ever known who was violently opposed to gays showed signs and/or eventually admitted that he was terrified of his own sexual feelings. Sometimes they're gay and sometimes they're afraid of any sign of sexual feelings for males that they feel within themselves. A psychologist told me he sees that ALL THE TIME.
    When I was closeted, straight-but-gay-friendly guys never made any kind of sexual move on me, ever.
    Homophobic guys tried all kinds of very awkward and sometimes inappropriate things (just like Ham Hock did here) and then would get even more awkward trying to cover the tracks.
    This is a real-life phenomenon and based on a real-life experience.

PS to others regarding Mercedes: Well, she did have a fling with Puck.

Posted by: GregV | Nov 10, 2010 12:58:36 PM

12. I thought that kiss was so awkward and that's why it was so perfect. Is anyone's first gay kiss perfect? Is anyone's first kiss, gay or straight, perfect?

Bravo! I hope this storyline goes somewhere.

Posted by: pParkerT | Nov 10, 2010 1:34:40 PM

13. If you didn't see this coming, you have probably never watched any gay media involved with bullying. It's a cliche to suggest all bullies are closeted, and ignores the fact that there are a large number of people who hate the gay community and are happily straight.

I also completely agree with Q. It's insulting that a show so "committed" to championing the outsiders has completely written off Mercedes (except when they need a belter), brought in another straight, pretty white boy, and makes Kurt an endless victim. Iwon't say this show is bad. It's just the least ground-breaking show ever posing as something important.

And while I'm on a rant, the Puck and Artie story last night was incredibly boring, and their song was the least convincing part. I've seen 3 episodes of this show, and definitely won't watch another one on air. Let's stop deluding ourselves into thinking this is life-affirming,

Posted by: Dan | Nov 10, 2010 1:35:23 PM

14. MMmm if only a jock would have kissed me like that in high school...anyways he's not mad at kurt but mad at himself...maybe he knows he'll get no support from family or friends. I thought he was cute but that personality made him an ugly @##$hole

Posted by: Poppins | Nov 10, 2010 2:36:25 PM

15. like most thing associated with the gay community, this latest fascination is, too, embarrassing. But it does confirm that many gays are stereotypically over the top and flamboyantly effeminate...not that there's anything wrong with that...just a little much most of the time.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 10, 2010 2:48:22 PM

16. I think another important aspect is having a potentially pudgy gay character. Growing up gay and chubby can be horrible. You're ostracized for being gay and then ridiculed and made to feel like crap by other gay people if you're not in shape and hot. When I was in high school I had no idea about the bear community. I figured if you were gay and fat you were unworthy of love (kinda like how coach beast felt in the episode). I really hope the bully character comes out and can help give other pudgy gay kids some hope--showing them you don't have to be a skinny or muscular body type to get your gay card.

Posted by: BigBlonde | Nov 10, 2010 3:50:27 PM

17. Andy, you realize that the headline itself is a spoiler, right?

Posted by: Yuki | Nov 10, 2010 3:56:44 PM

18. I hope that bully becomes Kurt's boyfriend it would be interesting to see kurt help him slowly come out

Posted by: Rooney | Nov 10, 2010 4:59:19 PM

19. Well, my bully from high school sucks dick now, so I'd say that this is an accurate representation of one type of bully. I think that forgiveness is a big life lesson too, learning how to do it, so if Kurt and his Bully do end up together it will show growth in that respect. I'd actually like for them to continue with the Bully character, I think it could turn into something great.

Posted by: Rodney | Nov 10, 2010 5:29:03 PM

20. Yeah allen, I completely changed my mind about "Ham hock", I'm a girl and I know he's supposed to be gay and all, but it made him soooo cute to me !

Posted by: Swax | Nov 10, 2010 5:29:22 PM

21. For those who think it is "unrealistic" that gay bullies are often themselves gay, you have your facts dead wrong. Scientific studies have proven that those who are homophobic are often aroused when shown homoerotic images.

Posted by: RockinRobbie | Nov 10, 2010 7:15:30 PM

22. I'm glad I'm not the only one who wasn't that surprised by the kiss. The gay bully stereotype doesn't get nearly enough play. When Frontline did their episode, "Assault on Gay America," they even found research from the University of Georgia linking homophobia to latent same-sex attraction http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/assault/roots/

Just like we might tell a little girl that the boy that taunted her on the playground might be acting out a crush, maybe we should be telling gay youth that your bully would rather stick his tongue down your throat then his fist. If that were the first thing that came to mind with gay bullying, then maybe it would be a little more embarrassing for the bully.

Posted by: Charles | Nov 10, 2010 7:56:36 PM

23. I like that they went there with Kurt. I'd like to see Kurt enter some type of relationship with Karofsky but I don't see it as being especially interesting for his coming out to be the end result. Glee isn't necessarily a show about happy endings. Let's not forget the pilot that established the high school as a concrete nightmare filled with sociopaths in athletic uniforms. I don't think there is enough time in the season to turn Karofsky into someone anywhere near ready to come out.
    Instead, they could use this as a means of letting Kurt settle more comfortably in his identity. By kissing Kurt, Karofsky had him an incredible amount of power. I'd like to see Kurt use that power to his advantage so that he can stop being a victim and start being bad ass... even if that means he still gets bullied.

Posted by: Charles | Nov 10, 2010 9:01:04 PM

24. GLEE SUCKS.

Thank god for HULU. I can fast forward through all the dreck turning an hour of torture to a tolerable 20 minutes of boredom.

ANY scene without Heather Morris is a waste of time.

Posted by: MarkDC | Nov 10, 2010 10:01:01 PM

25. @Charles, my concern with your message is that it essentially tells the victims of bullying that they should really be flattered by the attention because the person tormenting them really is secretly in love with them. I had a jr high school teacher tell me that same thing about the two guys who tortured me every day in school for a year. It didn't stop them from shoving me into the blackboard in her own classroom while she stood at the back of the room watching everything.

I do, however, fully support your notion of Kurt turning the tables and exerting some power. I am reminded of the scene in "Batman Begins" when Batman shows up on Sgt. Gordon's fire escape. Batman tells him he's a good man and Gordon replies "But I'm just one guy" and Batman whispers "Now we're two." Kurt was just one guy, but now there's Blaine, and sometimes just knowing there's someone out there who has your back is utterly transformative. Even if it doesn't fix your problems, it makes it so much easier to confront what you can't and bear what you can't.

Posted by: naughtylola | Nov 10, 2010 10:36:51 PM