Bullying | News | Suze Orman

Watch: Suze Orman Tells Bullied Gay Teens 'It Gets Better'

Orman

CNBC financial guru Suze Orman speaks to bullied gay teens.

"Just stick with us. People are listening to you. People are supporting you. People want you to be who you are...I am proud that I am a lesbian. I am proud that I am the personal finance expert of the world. I am proud of my accomplishments. But I am proud that I can stand in my truth and I am not afraid to tell anybody who I am."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Thanks Suze! *intwines fingers*

Posted by: Wes | Nov 2, 2010 1:40:11 PM

2. I'd like to see a bully take on Suze. The bully wouldn't have a chance.

Posted by: justiceontherocks | Nov 2, 2010 2:06:46 PM

3. That was a very powerful message from a confident and successful gay person who can be a role model for a lot of gay kids.
    I love the fact that we have such a wide variety of people recording these messages. Some kids could never see themselves becoming a rock star or a bishop or a sex advice columnist but they may see this and say, "Hey! I'm good in math! If Suze can be the international financial expert that she is without being gay and facing prejudice stopping her, then maybe I could at least get a job in a bank or become an accountant someday."

When I was a kid, I always wondered how I would ever have ANY kind of job in my future or ever feel safe walking down the street again if anyone ever found out my secret. There were no role models to tell gay kids they could become something or to even humanize gay people in the eyes of the ignorant.

Today, we have hundreds of role models, though sometimes we have to do a YouTube search to find out who they are.

I still don't think most of Suze's audience even knows she is gay. I've never seen her casually mention on her show to a straight man, "Let me tell you how my wife and I avoided some extra fees when we bought a property" or to a gay caller that "My wife and I face the same hurdles because of discriminatory laws when we cross a lot of state lines."

I hope her message will be viewed widely, especially by those who most need to see it.

Posted by: gregv | Nov 2, 2010 2:48:50 PM

4. Nothing gives me hope quite like Suze's messages

Posted by: ravewulf | Nov 2, 2010 2:48:53 PM

5. This may be my favorite video in the "It Gets Better" series. I like that she gets a little fired up about it. A lot of the other videos rely too much on the theme of victimization.

Posted by: Dave | Nov 2, 2010 3:00:49 PM

6. The woman knows how to deliver a message, that's for sure.

Posted by: Anon | Nov 2, 2010 3:23:16 PM

7. No, it doesn't get better, you just grow up and have bullies for bosses or co-workers. I wouldn't do it again if I had to do it all over!!

Posted by: Rob | Nov 2, 2010 5:50:36 PM

8. How awesome is she? What a positive statement, not only of the "It Gets Better" message, but of pride in oneself. And good for her for leading off with how old she is.

Posted by: Gianpiero | Nov 2, 2010 7:08:18 PM

9. The more I know about Suze, the more I like her. She REALLY ups the average. I think her speech is particularly inspiring.

Posted by: Parker LA | Nov 2, 2010 7:52:52 PM

10. Rob's comment seems cynical and pessimistic, but I can't help feeling its at least partially true. There is no guarantee that life gets better, thats just hard reality. Still, thats not a very uplifting message to people who need hope.

Posted by: Wes | Nov 3, 2010 2:59:19 PM

11. It does get better, but it does not give excuse for bullying or gay jokes. We can't just say it's all going to be fine in the long run. We have to fight for the right to be our true selves.

Posted by: gregory | Nov 3, 2010 11:43:36 PM