Bullying

Watch: Young Gay Student Defends Teacher At School Board Meeting

Taylor
14-year-old student Graeme Taylor, who is openly gay, bravely stood up for Ann Arbor teacher, Jay McDowell at a recent school board meeting. McDowell was disciplined on October 20 for removing two students who had made anti-gay remarks in class. During his speech in support of his teacher, Taylor revealed his problems with bullying and even talked about a suicide attempt at the age of nine.

Watch young Taylor's very mature and highly inspiring speech, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. I was such a pussy at 14. Never, ever, ever could I have admitted that I was gay. Now, it was 1979 when I was 14 - and gay was something you simply didn't discuss at that age.

But forget gay for a minute. This kid has a SPINE. He's a strong young MAN. At 14, he has such a sense of self! I hope to God his parents are proud.

Posted by: steve | Nov 14, 2010 7:07:12 AM

2. Not all 14 year old gay boys look like petite lesbians,and not all petite lesbians look like 14 year old boys. Stereotypes don't help.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 14, 2010 7:09:20 AM

3. @ Paul r

He left towleroad because of the racism. It was when all you could read in the comments was how Obama was the most disgusting piece of dirt despite all those gay staff, the Matthew Shepard act, visiting hospital visists for same sex people etc..

He comments only on Rod 2.0 from what I've seen.

A gay website is no place to find nice people whether it's the owner or the commenters lol!

Posted by: Rowan | Nov 14, 2010 7:10:57 AM

4. WoW! How proud Graeme's parents must be, and his future, and ours look brighter because of him. He is a natural born leader. I was invited to speak and meet with students of the Walter Payton Prep High School's Gay/Straight Alliance here in Chicago... and wish that organization was around when I was a youth over 60 years ago,and available at every high school in America now. However, that is wishful thinking. With TV shows like Glee, and Ellyn and organizations like G/S/A and P-Flag... there is Hope, where it is needed most, with today's youth and future
    generations of gay people everywhere. I have seen the progress made in my life time, and it getting better everyday, with students like Graeme Taylor and his teacher JayMcDowell and web-sites like Towleroad.

Posted by: jerry pritikin | Nov 14, 2010 7:30:42 AM

5. @ Ratbastard Your right. However, there are many exceptions. A lot of young men enjoy more mature men. Yes, a lot are looking for sugar daddies, but not all. Those young, pretty. tight guys are good for a night, but I think most of us know that many of them aren't good for a lifetime.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Nov 14, 2010 7:56:32 AM

6. Only Tank can find negative about this video. What a miserable little douche bag you are. Do society a favor and STFU.

Posted by: Mike_In_Philly | Nov 14, 2010 8:04:40 AM

7. Only TANK can find something negative to say about this amazing young man. That a douche bag. I really do not think this "TANK" is gay. I used to think he was just another sad self hater. But he goes beyond that. He's a troll whose only goal is to piss people off. Most days I can ignore him. But today his comment pissed me off so badly that I'm shaking. So you won today you sad little bitch. Just remember everyday I can control myself, you lost. Just like in life. YOU LOST.

Posted by: Mike_In_Philly | Nov 14, 2010 8:11:48 AM

8. RATBASTARD and TANK are the same person. Just for you guys and gals who don't know how to track an ISP address. When TANK gets pummeled he posts under RATBASTARD because he is a coward.
    Oh and sorry I posted twice. I didn't think the first one worked. And it's a good thing because I'm so pissed I don't think the first comment made any sense.

Posted by: Mike_In_Philly | Nov 14, 2010 8:19:49 AM

9. Mike in Philly:

...NO, I am not Tank. I don't know who he is and have never privately communicated with him.

...Go back and take your meds,man.

...People, try and keep on topic; it's a story about a kid in Michigan, not ratbastard, tank, Obama, Bush, WMDs, Israel, and so on and so on.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 14, 2010 8:28:13 AM

10. @Mike_in_Philly

Whether you like Tank or not, I call BS. Where exactly are you getting Tank or Ratbastard's IP addresses from? The comments here don't list the IP address from which they are posted.

Posted by: bastian | Nov 14, 2010 9:43:05 AM

11. Imagine the courage it takes for a 14-year-old gay boy to speak publicly at the very seat of Ku Klux bigotry! That kid deserves a nationwide standing-O!

Posted by: wimsy | Nov 14, 2010 9:55:15 AM

12. @Tank. First of all, there are only between 6 and 7 billion people on the entire planet. I know that wasn't your point, but if your going to pull numbers out of your ass, at least stay within the realm of possiblity.

Secondly, why do you always have to look for the one thing you can pick apart in what is otherwise an inspirational moment, which is, by the way, how most of us interpreted it. Try looking for the good in something once in awhile. You might be surprised at what you see.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 14, 2010 10:17:13 AM

13. Okay... hold everything... this is one of the most amazing speeches I have ever heard! Get this young man on Oprah, Ellen, Anderson, Larry, and Joy NOW! THIS is a leader of tomorrow! He speaks with more intelligence and articulation than most, vastly most, of our leaders in Congress and in the White House! He could be President one day!

Posted by: Jim | Nov 14, 2010 10:23:59 AM

14. Wow . . . . that is one articulate young man! His actions speak so well for the gay youth and their future.

It reminds me of the Margaret Mead quote;

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has”.

There is hope and a future to look forward to !

Posted by: EJ | Nov 14, 2010 10:56:19 AM

15. An amazing young man -- just WOW! So proud of him, and I can only imagine that his parents are too. What a brave thing he did at such a young age. His future looks bright.

Posted by: Todd Andrew | Nov 14, 2010 10:56:26 AM

16. @ Tank
    I wouldn't call you a dick... I actually like Dicks. You're are more of big loose sloppy asshole

Posted by: Brian | Nov 14, 2010 11:08:53 AM

17. Tonight on Glen Beck, my guest is TANK, a self described 'enclosed armored military vehicle; has a cannon and moves on caterpillar treads. an armored, self-propelled combat vehicle, armed with cannon and machine guns and moving on a caterpillar tread.'

In other words, a true patriot, a real American who both the GOP and NRA would be proud to have. But he's much more.

No he's not a character from Transformers, he's a man with daddy issues, one who is still a hurt little 12 year old who was misunderstood by not only his daddy, but his friends as well.

TANK, welcome, thanks for coming on from your busy day of trolling the net in your jammies in your daddy's basement.

Now TANK you are quoted as saying about your name, 'That's what's meant by it as everyone who knows me will tell ya, since I've been twelve, which is when I got it. Papa was the first to call me...that. And papa and I don't relate...but he's a military guy...and that's all I have to about that. Of course, it's not what I think of myself; it's what people think of me...for better or worse.'

Where to start sir, what exactly do you mean by 'that's all I have about that'? Did daddy touch you in bad places? I have a doll here, show me where daddy touched you? In the head? And if it's not what you think of yourself, why do you go on about it?

I know you say it's not about you, but you constantly go on about yourself, that is when you are not picking apart or trashing others. Care to explain? Feel free to cry, I do all the time, great for ratings and to distract people from the facts.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 14, 2010 12:26:24 PM

18. Bravo!

I don't have a real problem with his 'six million suicides' statement. Now, if he said 'all heterosexuals are murderous bullies,' he would be treading into Tony Perkins / Maggie Gallagher territory.

Posted by: Skye Winspur | Nov 14, 2010 1:25:12 PM

19. Does anyone realize that attacking one person, the "Tank" guy that simply questioned a likely inaccurate statistic given by this student, is an incredible hypocrisy on all your parts? Tank speaks up... and he is criticized, insulted, made fun of... in the comment section of an article about people who are criticized, insulted and made fun of. Wow. You're no better than the homophobes, people.

Posted by: Andrew | Nov 14, 2010 1:59:51 PM

20. It is a shame this young person is a gay and therefore destined to an afterlife in Hell.

Posted by: Devlin | Nov 14, 2010 2:00:36 PM

21. Sorry ANDREW, you must not follow TANKS rants here that often, and his picking the obvious inaccurate stat is missing the point of the over all story of a brave young boy, whose life is hell. Comparing people to homophobes because we disagree with TANK, and wish he would go away, shows you miss the point as well.

You should spend time focusing on idiots like DEVLIN, who posted below you. That the kid is going to hell for being gay. Hopefully ANDY will take it down, he takes down hate, not idiots like TANK.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 14, 2010 2:26:29 PM

22. that gave me chills. bravo Graeme!

Posted by: Carissa | Nov 14, 2010 2:53:41 PM

23. Devlin sounds like a genuine troll to me. Now why would a nice gay poster on this site post smack as 'devlin'? Hmmm....

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 14, 2010 3:06:18 PM

24. Tank,

Do the math: 6 million is 0.1% of the population of the planet where reasonable estimates of the gay percentage of the world stand at about 6%. If roughly 1 in 60 individuals attempts or commits suicide, that's virtually an epidemic in any population. I don't think you're a dick for raising the question or for defending your skepticism. I hope the numbers help you to better understand your question.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Nov 14, 2010 3:56:47 PM

25. Can we please send Graeme Taylor to Washington? Would Obama et al listen to him?

Posted by: Steve Rosenberger | Nov 14, 2010 3:58:35 PM