Water Polo Team In Trouble For ‘Inappropriate’ Swimwear Design

Singapre

Singapore's national water polo team is in trouble for designing their new swimwear with an "inappropriate" placement of the crescent moon on the country's flag. According to the AP, "'We didn't have the slightest intention to do anything funny on our trunks to insult Singapore,' team manager Samuel Wong, who helped design the trunks."

Oops.

Comments

1. BobN says

“‘We didn’t have the slightest intention to do anything funny on our trunks to insult Singapore,’ team manager Samuel Wong, who helped design the trunks.”

Sam Wong is either wickedly naughty or deeply, deeply dim.

2. BobN says

Sam Wong is either wickedly naughty or deeply, deeply dim.

3. wtf says

why are people so afraid of cock? it won’t hurt you, promise. I really see nothing wrong with these swimsuits. some people just need to quit seeing dick everywhere.

4. Danny says

GREAT design. I like it a lot. I especially like the placement of the crescent moon. I’d be delighted to help with private fittings. I live in NYC but I can be in Singapore within, oh, 18 hours or so. Is the phone number of the dude on the right available so I can make an appointment?

5. pete says

i think its the opposite of insulting. a dick isnt a bad thing, and historically its a symbol of power. i think the crescent is actually placed in the only appropriate place on the whole suit.

@WTF: the last time someone promised me that he almost split me in half. 😉

6. mikej says

@MAX You’re right. I mean, U.S. swimmers have had stars on their suits and it was no problem. Of course, this is the country with the allegedly largest muslim population in the world, so I guess, as most muslims do, they’re bound to get upset over the dumbest things.

7. GregV says

I agree with WTF. There is nothing “insulting” about the fact that some people have penises.
    If the flag were on the back, would they be upset that the moon brings to mind “mooning?” And if the moon were on the side, would it be insulting that it appears hooked on the hipbone? And then what about the stars?
    Some poeple have penises; get over it.

@MikeJ: I think your confusing the tiny city-state of Singapore with their neighbor, Indonesia. Singapore has only 750,000 Muslims among their population of 5 million.

8. Matt26 says

Funny, major fashion mistake. I don’t understand the need for a flag on swimsuits. They cannot change them because the rule is the swimsuits the team wears on the first match are the swimsuits for the whole tournament.
    As a gay man, what an outfit for a party.

9. Naughty Boys says

Ha, Look at the sign between the 2nd and 3rd guy, “sin.”

Somebody’s going to get an ass whipping! They do that for a lost less than this in Singapore.

10. Paul R says

It would be difficult to include the crescent and have space for the stars anywhere on the suit and not have it suggest a dick.

The guy on the left is surprisingly large for an Asian swimmer.

11. Danny says

Well, a lot of people who say they have a “swimmer’s body” are not swimmers, so I guess that makes ’em even.

Meanwhile. I never was partial to swimmers. But I do like hunky Asian dudes.

12. Mrs. Sippi says

Seriously, the comments about the guy on the right are ridiculous. He’s beautiful. Heaven forbid the man might have a body that doesn’t please the thin and svelte – mongers among us.

13. Shnu says

They don’t have swimmer’s bodies because they play water polo. It’s like comparing track runners to football players just because they both run around in stadiums.

14. Matt26 says

Well guys it isn’t swimming, it is water polo and the teams need strong guys like the left one to defend. He may not have swimmer’s body but surely he must be strong.

15. ratbastard says

Yeah…those ‘Asians’ are all short, skinny, and kinda girlish [raises eyes]…THAT of course is a goofy, ignorant,even genuinely racist, viewpoint. ‘Asians’ come in all shapes and sizes. There are PLENTY of both muscular and heavyset ‘Asians’, not all ‘Asians’ are skinny and nerdy.

And the dude on the left is MUSCULAR. Professional swimmers are actually generally muscular and don’t have the bodies of skinny,undeveloped 13 year old boys…which appears to be a recurring fantasy some gay men have.

ALL 3 dudes look A-OK to me; I’d do ’em.

16. Bear says

When I looked at the picture I began to wonder what the fuss was about. After reading the article I had to go look at the picture again. As I began to use some imagination I finally began to see the moon as defining something else, but I had to use a lot of imagery. Theirs was no worse than a lot of other teams. Sorry, but the suits look like normal racing swimwear to me.

17. KG says

Having lived in Singapore for many years…and abided by their many many rules…it is probably time for their government to “lighten up a bit”. Believe it or not, these innocents could be hauled off to jail and receive a very hefty fine for this..so called..defamation to government. Isn’t there enough to worry about with our World today? This is almost beyond rediculous…

18. anon says

Water Polo should be played naked with only team colors on the headgear. Who can see the trunks when they’re underwater anyway? Also, this would cut down on the nefarious practice in the sport of pulling on swim trunks to limit an opponents movements. It’s not unusual for them to get ripped right off during a competition.