Chris Matthews | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Jared Polis | Kirsten Gillibrand | Military | News

Watch: Senator Kirsten Gillibrand and Rep. Jared Polis Talk 'DADT' Repeal on 'Hardball'

Matthews

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) and Rep. Jared Polis (D-CO) joined Chris Matthews on Hardball to discuss this weekend's vote in the Senate to repeal "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Hello my name is Robert O. Lopez and I completed 6 months of active duty in the Army at a low rank in 2010. I am bisexual.

I have written the column below detailing what I think the military and gay community need to expect from each other in order for the repeal to work smoothly:

This column is written from the perspective of gay men in the Army or Marines, who are probably the people who will be most disrupted and at risk after the repeal.

Please read the column in order to understand a little about the challenges posed by the repeal, what to watch out for on the military side, and what to provide on the gay community side.

This repeal will be difficult but it seems it will go through. If you can please forward my column to others so people in the gay male community know what must be done in order to protect the safety and well-being of gay men in the Army and Marines after their privacy recedes as a result of the repeal.

Thank you.

Robert O. Lopez

Posted by: Robert O. Lopez | Dec 17, 2010 7:47:06 PM

2. ▲ RE: Mr. Lopez's blog

"if the collective needs gay members to be discreet about their sexual orientation or to become more masculine, then the onus falls on the gay warrior to concentrate on changing himself so he acts more manly."

As someone who is gay and also a veteran, I call bullsh*t.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Dec 17, 2010 8:08:15 PM

3. What's with Americans using their middle initial?

Posted by: tcw | Dec 17, 2010 8:38:12 PM

4. How more offensive can Robert O. Lopez be? Then again, what should one expect from a Web site called "Colorful Conservative?" What does it mean to place our "military values" above our "gay values?" He makes assumptions that gay men will bring STDs into the military, and "male homosexuality is particularly difficult to reconcile with military culture." His post is nothing more than homophobia disguised as backhanded support for the repeal of DADT.

As a gay former military officer credited with saving lives during my service in the 1980s, I can tell you that the airmen and women with whom I served did not care about my orientation when I was called to talk them out of their suicides. My military mission was first and foremost on my mind 24-hours a day -- as much, if not more so, than my straight counterparts.

When I was in the Air Force, pre-DADT, young men and women were brainwashed to seek out anyone who may be gay or lesbian and report them. My gaydar picked out gay service members easily. For the most part, everyone got along to accomplish our collective mission.

Training will be necessary to get remaining homophobes in the military, from the brass on down, to recognize that gay men and lesbians are American citizens able and willing to serve and deserving of respect and protection afforded to all comrades in arms. Those who do not accept that are the ones who should be discharged, as they will be breaking the Uniform Code of Military Justice once DADT is repealed.

Robert O. Lopez should be more concerned about the heterosexual sexual assaults that are on the rise in our military academies than he is when gays and lesbians serving openly in the military, not gay men and lesbians who have and will continue to serve our nation in the military.

Posted by: Tim | Dec 17, 2010 9:10:33 PM

5. As someone who is also gay and a veteran, I second Rodney.

Posted by: Rob | Dec 17, 2010 9:21:19 PM

6. Why do we bother surveying the entire military when we have Robert O. Lopez and his six months of active duty experience at a low rank?

Posted by: w.t. door | Dec 17, 2010 9:39:46 PM

7. I find it interesting that as someone who claims to be bisexual, Robert O. Lopez thinks he can speak "from the perspective of gay men in the Army and Marines." Bisexual≠gay. Further, Lopez cannot possibly speak for every non-heterosexual male in the Army and he should stop acting like someone appointed him to do so. Further, he certainly cannot speak for those in the Marines because he didn't serve in the Marines.

It turns out bisexual male conservatives are just as annoying as any other kind of conservative. Who could have guessed?

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Dec 17, 2010 9:57:05 PM

8. hell i served in vietnam well prior to DADT and didn;t have a problem of controlling my behavior, which couldn't be said for a lot of straight troops. so to lowly private lopez who seems to have a lot of personal issues too bad.

Posted by: walter | Dec 17, 2010 9:59:13 PM

9. It's interesting that Mr. Lopez's
    Blogger profile makes no mention of his military service.

Are we to assume that he is no longer in the military and is now a professor?

Posted by: Taylor | Dec 17, 2010 11:08:26 PM

10. Sen. Wyden is in the chamber --- it's being carried on CSPAN-2 (http://www.cspan.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN2/) --- and just thanked everyone for being interested in his prostate and said he's voting for repeal.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Dec 18, 2010 9:32:07 AM