Gravely Ill, Elizabeth Edwards Posts Facebook Farewell

Elizabeth Edwards has stopped cancer treatments and her family is by her side after her health took a turn for the worse, the NY Daily News reports:

Edwards The wronged wife of the 2004 Democratic vice presidential nominee posted what read like a goodbye on Facebook:

"The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that," she wrote. "I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope," Edwards said. "These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined."

The Edwards family in Chapel Hill, N.C., released a statement saying that doctors told her any further treatment would be "unproductive." "She is resting at home with family and friends," the statement said.

ABC News reported the former senator was also by his estranged wife's side."

Edwards was diagnosed with cancer in 2004. She reportedly was hospitalized over Thanksgiving but has returned home after receiving word that the cancer had spread to her liver.

Added Edwards in her Facebook message: "It isn't possible to put into words the love and gratitude I feel to everyone who has and continues to support and inspire me every day…To you I simply say: you know. With love, Elizabeth."

Comments

1. JCW says

Sorry to read this. Wealth and privledge certainly brought this lady little happiness and she’s known more than her share of sorrow.

I don’t know what she’s like in person, but in public she’s weathered every storm with grace and inspired many as she faced her final years.

Godspeed, Mrs. Edwards.

2. Sam I Am says

Though I wouldn’t characterize her life as one of wealth and privilege, I would agree that she endured more than her fair share of sorrow – from losing her eldest son tragically to watching her husband disgrace himself and their marriage, to now this. I feel so sad for her family and for her for not having more happiness here at the end.

I think this was brilliant: “The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren’t able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It’s called being human.”

3. HAF says

I’ve really appreciated her support for marriage equality. Note the contrast with her pathological liar marriage-wrecking (ironically) husband who wasn’t “there yet” or whatever he said.

4. walter says

the woman has been a real classy lady through everything. and deserves everyones respect. there should be a special place in hell for the likes of john edwards and other poltlicos who leave their sick wives.

5. Dback says

Regardless of the crappy hand of cards life dealt her, she did her utmost to play them with class and grace. Special thoughts and prayers for her kids, who are losing their mother at such a tender age. This family has definitely had some “hard knocks” over the years, proving that material success only gets you so much in life–it’s the people you love and who love you that count. (And never forget that her husband’s point about economics in this country was spot-on: there are indeed two Americas–and the top 3-5% got another tax cut gift today.)

6. karen says

great role model for all of us. To her children, I know you will miss your mother but always remember how much she loved you. You are in my heart and prayers.