Facebook | Maps | News

BigGayDeal.com

MAP: The World According to Facebook

Facebook

The map, created by Facebook intern Paul Butler, is based upon the localities of friendships within the social network:

"I began by taking a sample of about ten million pairs of friends from Apache Hive, our data warehouse. I combined that data with each user's current city and summed the number of friends between each pair of cities. Then I merged the data with the longitude and latitude of each city."

More of his methodology here.

"After a few minutes of rendering, the new plot appeared, and I was a bit taken aback by what I saw. The blob had turned into a surprisingly detailed map of the world. Not only were continents visible, certain international borders were apparent as well. What really struck me, though, was knowing that the lines didn't represent coasts or rivers or political borders, but real human relationships. Each line might represent a friendship made while travelling, a family member abroad, or an old college friend pulled away by the various forces of life. Later I replaced the lines with great circle arcs, which are the shortest routes between two points on the Earth. Because the Earth is a sphere, these are often not straight lines on the projection. When I shared the image with others within Facebook, it resonated with many people. It's not just a pretty picture, it's a reaffirmation of the impact we have in connecting people, even across oceans and borders."

Click map to enlarge. High-res version here.

Comments

1. Mark Zuckerberg and facebook are evil. Millions and millions of folks will live to regret some of the shit they posted on their pages. I personally think there is an intelligence agency behind it.

Posted by: ratbastard | Dec 14, 2010 10:33:46 AM

2. I totally agree Ratbastard. I was just saying the same thing to the man that disguises himself as a fire hydrant and does surveillance on the dog urine in my street.

But in all seriousness, all this shows is not the 'reaffirmation of the impact we have in connecting people, even across oceans and borders'. It shows 1 thing:

- The 3rd world is fucked. Not a lot of light being emitted from Africa is there?

Posted by: JP | Dec 14, 2010 10:45:42 AM

3. @JP,

It's not called The Dark Continent for nothing. Looks rather peaceful and uncongested from a satellite.

BTW: I'm serious about intelligence agencies being behind or at least manipulating facebook and some other online icons.

Posted by: ratbastard | Dec 14, 2010 10:50:18 AM

4. And what's up with Spain? Portugal and France are lit up like Christmas trees compared to Spain.

Posted by: ratbastard | Dec 14, 2010 11:02:30 AM

5. Are you there, China? It's me, the internet.

Posted by: Tribute | Dec 14, 2010 11:21:30 AM

6. Facebook is banned in several countries. However, you can really see the effect of the 75th meridian in the US which divides the dry west from the wetter east.

Posted by: anon | Dec 14, 2010 11:26:36 AM

7. @JP : Think again.. look at the Philippines, all its islands are virtually complete..now thats impressive!

Posted by: mabuhay | Dec 14, 2010 11:37:49 AM

8. Ratbastard, Spain does not show up because the country still has a vibrant social life. Only losers need to join Facebook. People with real friends can interact without an online tool/ad server.

Posted by: Dean | Dec 14, 2010 11:48:04 AM

9. Andy, please don't take an article like this off another site (even Facebook), quote liberally and snag images, without linking back to the original. It's just plain rude. Kthxbai.

Posted by: John | Dec 14, 2010 12:06:48 PM