Fashion Men | iPad | News

BigGayDeal.com

Does this iPad Make Me Look Gay?

Or something like that, writes the NYT, in the made-up trend story of the week:

Ipad Call it the male iPad dilemma: too large to slip into a pants pocket, too stiff to be curled up like a magazine and too precious to leave unprotected. With its rigid tablet shape, Apple’s iPad has raised an awkward consideration for many men: how to carry it in a manner that is practical and yet, well, masculine.

The shame:

But guys who want to lug around their iPads are finding themselves quietly reaching for a so-called man purse, or murse. The iPad-shaped bags seem to be the gadgetphile’s equivalent of a woman’s clutch...But even the most fashionable iPad bag can be mistaken for a murse. Some men are so stymied by the iPad’s shape that they have avoided buying one. 'How do you carry it?' asked Keith Nowak, a 27-year-old entrepreneur in New York City. 'It’s this weird in-limbo device. It’s why I haven’t gotten one: I don’t know what I would do with it.' But he still wrestles with iPad envy. 'It’s supercool, and I want one,' he said.

Comments

1. I dont like minimalism. I dont want to live in a THX 1138/John Lennon 'Imagine' world where everything is homologous and bland and happy clappy. I prefer more aggressive styling. Besides the 'minimalist' styling of Apple device is extremely dated now and looks really old, really fast.

Posted by: Rovex | Dec 17, 2010 4:40:28 PM

2. tyn.. There is nothing 'modern' about apple design. Its very old hat now. The iPhone4 only get past being ugly because it looks vaguely like it might be a Nokia from some angles.

Posted by: Rovex | Dec 17, 2010 4:51:08 PM

3. How pathetic

Posted by: Stephen | Dec 17, 2010 6:12:26 PM

4. Men who talk about how masculine they are, how masculine they are to not carry something, how masculine they are and they need you to know it are no differnet than a drag performer. they are in their own drag. it's like the person who talks about the great sex they have, and how they'd never have sex with someone who is small, and how they get so much of it....they're usually either the 40 year old virgin or pay for sex. people who project their insecurities are so damn pathetic. go live under a rock, would ya.

Posted by: Daddolfe | Dec 17, 2010 6:49:48 PM

5. @Rovex, "rounded edges, soft curves and gentle styling" are all the same thing, and they also all mean "It slides into your pocket easily." That's the point of any portable electronic--to be easy to hold and carry.

Then you equated its "feminine" look with minimalism, which is generally considered a masculine approach to design. If you want to follow stereotypes, which you apparently do, women like to dress things up; men like things simple. So you really make no sense at all.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 18, 2010 3:19:17 AM

6. Ipads ARE NOT mobile. You can't comfortably carry them in a pocket, not even a cargo pants pocket. Battery life, like most 'mobile' devices, leaves much to be desired. Now I watch youtube and other streaming videos on my 2 year old Samsung Blackjack using the Skyfire browser no problem, and my extended battery life is excellent. I can even watch streaming webcam videos on this thing, and streaming audio and internet radio.

Anyway, like other posters have noted, everyone carries some kind of bag, backpack, whatever, in NY.

Posted by: ratbastard | Dec 18, 2010 10:57:42 AM

7. Such a spurious article. Nect we'll have a piece about the penis envy associated with those (like me) who cannot afford an I-Pad... yawn!

Posted by: Sean R | Dec 18, 2010 12:58:16 PM

8. Paul R.. Apple devices ARE feminine in design. Compare to say a Motorola smartphone, which is much more industrial, much more male, or even an HTC which is clean but manages not to look girly. Its the back plate that does it and that logo. Minimalism is only masculine when its applied to clean lines.

Posted by: Rovex | Dec 18, 2010 3:36:51 PM

9. "Does this iPad make me look gay?" Yes, and that's a good thing.

It is a shame that it makes some others look envious. Maybe they can get a green one.

Posted by: Really? | Dec 18, 2010 4:53:29 PM

10. Its very gay to walk around with one. Get a bag!

Posted by: Arthur | Jan 31, 2011 10:15:45 PM