Anderson Cooper | Barack Obama | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Anderson Cooper Takes Down a Birther

Birther

Texas State Rep. and birther Leo Berman gets owned by Anderson Cooper.

TPM writes: "Earlier this month, Berman introduced a bill in the Texas House that would 'require any candidate for president or vice president of the United States to show his or her birth certificate to the Texas secretary of state,' because, as Berman put it, 'we have a president whom the American people don't know whether he was born in Kenya or some other place.'"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Don't bother these bigots with the facts.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Dec 1, 2010 8:10:58 PM

2. OMG, this is fricken unbelievable. All this birther shit is just code for the fact they don't want a black man to be president. All the news outlets need to stop giving free press time to these hate mongers to enable them to spread their nonsense.

Posted by: Mike | Dec 1, 2010 8:23:52 PM

3. Is everybody from Texas crazy as loons? WTF is in their water that makes them crazy?

Posted by: mad1026 | Dec 1, 2010 8:31:13 PM

4. how many nut jobs are in texas? this isn't the first one throwing out hate speech and dumb ideas around the texas legislature.

Posted by: walter | Dec 1, 2010 8:32:58 PM

5. The crazy, it hurts sooooo bad!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Dec 1, 2010 8:35:57 PM

6. I would disagree, but respect Rep. Berman honesty more if he would just say get that bleep out of the office. Anderson destroyed his crackpot facade and revealed his true colors. Thanks Anderson!

Posted by: Thom | Dec 1, 2010 8:48:27 PM

7. Way to go Anderson! Now if he'd only take on Tony Perkins over DADT!

Posted by: Geoff | Dec 1, 2010 9:02:07 PM

8. "WTF is in their water that makes them crazy?"

Cow manure. Tons of cow manure.

Posted by: crispy | Dec 1, 2010 9:12:24 PM

9. Damn it Anderson, stop using facts to confuse everyone else!

Posted by: kyle | Dec 1, 2010 9:40:16 PM

10. I'm still holding the belief that this is politics, not racism. I don't think I could handle the fact that in the year 2010 an elected official in any state could be that racist.

(Although I am still in shock that an elected official could actually. and so easily, spout out such inaccuracies.)

Posted by: Brad | Dec 1, 2010 9:42:43 PM

11. Please don't lump my girlfriend in with the insane people from Texas.

Posted by: Joanie | Dec 1, 2010 9:47:42 PM

12. @Brad,

I'm sorry to say that you'll have to adjust your world view to the facts. According to a poll in 2006:

"Almost half of black respondents -- 49 percent -- said racism is a 'very serious' problem, while 18 percent of whites shared that view. Forty-eight percent of whites and 35 percent of blacks chose the description 'somewhat serious.'

Asked if they know someone they consider racist, 43 percent of whites and 48 percent of blacks said yes.

But just 13 percent of whites and 12 percent of blacks consider themselves racially biased."

Even if that 13% number of self-confessed racism among whites is low, it stands to reason that at least some white politicians are racists.

Posted by: Mike | Dec 1, 2010 9:56:27 PM

13. Good god, what a racist idiot. Doesn't matter what absolute facts are presented to these people, they will never be convinced.

Posted by: Rich | Dec 1, 2010 10:27:18 PM

14. @Mike

Thanks for the feedback. I learn by reading the facts from opposing opinions.

Unfortunately this time I learned something I didn't want to know. The "birther" movement was actually started by Clinton supporters after she conceded the race to President Obama.

That bothers me because I was a Clinton supporter and hate to think anyone I joined up with was racist and/or stupid.

Posted by: Brad | Dec 1, 2010 10:28:44 PM

15. Anderson certainly handled Berman in a quintessentially professional way... polite and persistent... kept his cool and made the Texan look like a fool.

Posted by: Dylan | Dec 1, 2010 10:30:30 PM

16. The only thing that would improve these takedowns is if Anderson would wear the bunny costume like he did for the bonobos.

[Yes, I'm passed the point of being able to take politics seriously anymore. Embrace the absurdity....]

Posted by: BobN | Dec 1, 2010 10:34:49 PM

17. past, even

Posted by: BobN | Dec 1, 2010 10:35:21 PM

18. I hate to be the voice of reason, but the item shown on the screen while Cooper is talking about the birth certificate is a Hawaii "Certificate of Live Birth" which is not a birth certificate.

The former governor said she saw the actual birth certificate, so it allegedly does exist. If it does exist then why can't we see it? I can go down to the courthouse tomorrow and see my original birth certificate on microfilm because it's a public record and available to anyone unless a judge orders it to be sealed or expunged.

The US Constitution requires the President to be a citizen. What's wrong with a candidate for the office proving citizenship? The burden of proof lies with the candidate.

It would cost a dollar or two for the whole world to see Obama's actual birth certificate and put the matter to rest forever, so why has he spent millions of dollars on legal maneuvers to hide his?

Cooper tried really hard to obfuscate, but just embarrassed himself by trying to pull a Fox.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhausen | Dec 1, 2010 10:38:50 PM

19. On behalf of some of the people in Texas, I would like to say that not all of us are nut jobs. Unfortunately, there are dumbasses in powerful positions that make us look like knuckle draggers. Please understand that there are a ton of very smart people here who are victims of an ignorant regime.

Posted by: damon | Dec 1, 2010 10:41:33 PM

20. Berman is a walking poster for all that's wrong with this country!!

Posted by: alexinboston | Dec 1, 2010 11:07:50 PM

21. One of my favorite quotes:

"Madam, I cannot allow your ignorance, however great, to take precedence over my knowledge, however small." -William James

Posted by: Pitt90 | Dec 1, 2010 11:26:47 PM

22. O. M. G.

This guy's tone, speech, and reasoning reminds me SO much of Andrew Shirvell. You hit him with a fact, and he counters with a completely fabricated assumption or rumor.

Posted by: sparks | Dec 1, 2010 11:35:20 PM

23. Anderson Cooper is my gay Super Hero! I continue to be amazed and amused by him!

Posted by: Dave | Dec 1, 2010 11:41:41 PM

24. It's a shame we have to sift through corporate entertainment requirements for news programing as they seek to elevate ratings. The corporate circus act that places reason on the same platform with the discredited likes of Elaine Donnelly, Tony Perkins and this idiot Leo Berman, is transparently show business. And, Anderson Cooper knows on which side his bread is buttered. Under the circumstances, I am all the more grateful for Towleroad. Thanks Andy!

Posted by: Modern Meet | Dec 1, 2010 11:48:54 PM

25. Cooper was more patient than I would have been.

Posted by: Diogenes | Dec 2, 2010 12:12:37 AM