Chris Colfer | Christmas | Darren Criss | Glee | News

Watch: Darren Criss and Chris Colfer Duet in 'Baby It's Cold Outside'

Cold

Glee's Darren Criss and Chris Colfer duet on "Baby It's Cold Outside" in a preview from Glee's holiday episode.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. All of the comments surrounding Kurt's effeminate performance mannerisms seem to be a projection of discomfort with the age-old sissy stereotype, but I think what some may be missing is the very real fact that those boys do exist. We may not all like it, and some of us don't find it appealing, but it exists. It's not right or wrong. It just *is*. Get over yourselves! The whole world isn't about you.

I'm amused with myself for even coming to the defense of the character because I remember so many years ago just listening to my own voice and working on "man-ning" it up and how fearful (with good reason!) I was of appearing "gay", meaning, effeminate, at the time. However, no amount of training can make a person become what they inherently aren't without becoming a walking lie...and they are the people that end up getting caught with their shoes protruding into others' bathroom stalls, or marrying women only to cruise the Internet for casual encounters, and so forth.

In Glee's previous episode, where Kurt performed for The Warblers, Blaine clearly motioned Kurt to keep his hands down, as if to imply the theatrics should be kept to a minimum. This is a fairly obvious tactic at mentoring, but also shows the nature of control thought necessary in certain social settings (to the character's detractors' point), even in a non-threatening environment. This so-called relationship is going nowhere, and fast, but the show is great and demonstrates the ability to throw an occasional curve ball at the viewer. The writing team has been quite adept at showing real-life through dramedy. It's just sad that people some still don't understand that not every round peg will fit a square hole.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Dec 3, 2010 11:15:50 AM

2. Oh Jay, darling, the internalized homophobia accusation, really?

Is there really a shortage of homosexual girly boys on television or in movies? Where are the stereotypical butch gay boys? The masculine teens who are gay? Please point with your lady finger

Posted by: annoyed by this | Dec 3, 2010 11:17:16 AM

3. @mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com

Yes, because misogyny is alive and well in the gay community. When will we stop seeing feminine as a bad thing? Its just another way to be, and some people do find it attractive.

Posted by: George | Dec 3, 2010 11:17:18 AM

4. The bigotry on this board really saddens and disgusts me. I can't decide what's worse here: the frantic intolerance for any type of homosexuality but one specific, narrow kind; or the rampant misogyny that is really at the core of that intolerance. As Quentin Crisp said, "there's no sin like being a woman."

Some people don't fit into gender "norms" and never will, even when all the derision in the world is hurled their way. It is stunning to me that even here those people are still reviled.

Posted by: Thomasina | Dec 3, 2010 11:23:01 AM

5. Echoing other comments - all of you please get over your negative comments because a CHARACTER on a TV show does not appease your idea of what gay should be - that's the beauty of life - each of us is different - we have come a long way and as someone else said, we NEVER would have seen this scene on tv in the 80's or early 90's ... we have come a long way and while we have further to go...what a great scene. There are many 'stereotypes' of gay AND straight people - and especially at this time of year - accept, love, and respect people for who they are, not how you think they should be.

Posted by: dscinsea | Dec 3, 2010 11:32:42 AM

6. On Glee alone, Kurt is effeminate, Karofsky is big and butch, Blaine is neither effeminate nor butch. All are gay high schoolers. Some are out. Some are not. Some take aim at effeminate gays because they have, indeed, internalized the most common form of homophobia. Others are more mature.

Annoyed by This is not only an asshole, but one not worth engaging with.

Posted by: gbm | Dec 3, 2010 11:40:13 AM

7. With my beautifully-manicured lady finger, I will point at the following non-flamboyant gay characters on television and in the movies:

1) THE FREAKIN' BULLY on Glee.
    2) Bob on Desperate Housewives.
    3) Calvin on Greek.
    4) Barca on Spartacus (SUPER HOT, btw.)
    5) David on Six Feet Under.
    6) Keith on Six Feet Under.
    7) Caleb on the new Melrose Place.
    8) Oscar on The Office.
    9) John on Southland.
    10) Oh, and remember Jack from Dawson's Creek?

Sure...perhaps there could be more, but they do exist. Internalized homophobia on your part, though? Check.

I think the butch boys are great. I think the femme boys are great. I think your just plain average boys are great, too.

We're a diverse group. Embrace it!

Oh, and for the record, my "lady fingers" are manicured, and I also have highlights. But, I can run a 90 minute half marathon, and I can bench press twice my weight. I love seeing Broadway shows, but I also enjoy baseball games. Some of us are evolved enough to be able to see the world through different lenses, sweetheart. ;-)

Posted by: Jay | Dec 3, 2010 11:40:28 AM

8. I don't have issues with a man not fitting some stereotypical ideal of masculinity. However, I do think that there is something wrong when a man fully embraces the female identity--and masculinity or manhood is treated like some icky thing to be avoided.

I cringe when I see the behavior of queens like the ones on the A-List, prancing around like women, being gossipy, mean-spirited, conflictive, bitchy and shallow. If that is what being gay is, then I am proud to be homophobic, because that is not the kind of man I want to be, nor is the man most men would want to be WITH.

Posted by: Mark | Dec 3, 2010 11:42:25 AM

9. @Jay

♥♥♥ Rock it, Bitch! ♥♥♥

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Dec 3, 2010 11:43:33 AM

10. I would've rather seen Jane Lynch and Matt Morrison sing this to each other, ha!

Posted by: Jonster | Dec 3, 2010 11:43:33 AM

11. And to everyone else who's got a firm grasp on reality and diversity...

♥♥♥ Rock it, Bitches! ♥♥♥

We're very fortunate to be witnessing these scenes and anyone that finds these characters distasteful or not to their personal liking is, well, just sad and unfortunate.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Dec 3, 2010 11:46:23 AM

12. I'm fascinated by what appears to be an ongoing debate on the appropriateness of fey gays. There are thousands upon thousands of ethnicities in the world--different cultures with different norms of behavior. Why on earth does the gay community have to buy into the idea that there is only one appropriate way to be gay?

For a minority group that is, in most of the world, still on the fringe of society to further marginalize parts of its own community for failure to subscribe to particular norms of masculinity is, well, ludicrous. Much of the rest of the world says that about ALL of us. Why should we engage in our own version of 'smear the queer' too? We are butch and fey and everything in between....bully for us, and for Kurt--a three dimensional fey boy who is far more than his flounces and pouts, but no less a man because of them.

There is yet another disturbing trend in many of the comments here and elsewhere in our community these days...the definition of what a "good gay" should be is so often stated in terms that are limited to people just like the speaker or to people the speaker is attracted to. That is both narcissistic and, again, borrows a trope from the homophobes--we are defined only by our dicks and what makes them hard. That is certainly a part of who we are, but not all by a long shot. Sure, let's celebrate who we are attracted to--but that doesn't mean everyone else is sub-human or unworthy of our respect and friendship.

I'm charmed by the Kurt/Blaine storyline. I have no idea where it's going and look forward to finding out. But the reality is--these are two scared boys trying to find their way, and miracle of miracles, they've found they aren't alone on the journey--and apparently they decide to sing a flirty Christmas song, perhaps simply because they can without getting beaten up for singing it together. Bravo for them.

Now can't we all just enjoy the song, enjoy the shocking lack of outrage that is accompanying this storyline, and have a Happy Hanukah and a Merry Christmas (or whatever holiday floats your boat)?

Peace

Posted by: notshychirev | Dec 3, 2010 11:47:16 AM

13. The trolls on here bitching about Kurt's lack of masculinity are NO BETTER than the high school bullies targeting gay kids. It's disgusting, and just totally f*cked up.

Just as f*cked up as these "butch" bottoms who cry out "f*ck my p*ssy" while you pound them.

Posted by: QJ201 | Dec 3, 2010 11:58:54 AM

14. @Jay

"....There are enough representations of gay people out there..."

Really?

Where. name just 1 non nellie representative of gay men in a tv show or movie

just 1

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Dec 3, 2010 11:59:54 AM

15. Guuuuuuurl, you ladies are feisty. Your panties are all in a bunch over my annoyance with a dramatically over feminized gay boy on TV. The jump to my internalized homophobia and lack of love for real humans (in life) is impressive.

Jay, sweetie, you sound smoking hot. No doubt Kurt would swoon over you.

Posted by: a scientist | Dec 3, 2010 12:00:03 PM

16. Pandering to the gay audience? I agree that the lack of authenticity poisons this clip.

Posted by: steve | Dec 3, 2010 12:01:59 PM

17. let me add in

1 positive portrayal of a non nellie gay guy

the bully on glee doesn't count

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Dec 3, 2010 12:02:08 PM

18. Bravo notshychirev and to all others here who DO NOT JUDGE. Until we can all accept each other for what we are, there will always be hate.

Posted by: javo | Dec 3, 2010 12:02:56 PM

19. That's sweet.

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Dec 3, 2010 12:06:03 PM

20. "Where. name just 1 non nellie representative of gay men in a tv show or movie

just 1"

You can't be serious. That gay cop on "Southland" is about as butch as they get.

Posted by: crispy | Dec 3, 2010 12:09:48 PM

21. @ Rob

I'm with you, brother. I'm almost 62 and enjoy the hell out of this show. If somethinig this groundbreaking had been on American TV when I was in high school, the GLBT community might be living in a different environment today. I think it's very gutsy of Ryan Murphy and his associates to get FOX to air this show with its gay story lines. Of course, the excellent ratings and resultant high ad prices the show gets every week doesn't hurt. Kudos to GLEE's creators, actors and production crew for making life a bit more enjoyable for at least one hour each Tuesday evening.

Posted by: Rob | Dec 3, 2010 12:12:39 PM

22. Look at all of the "straight-acting" gays feeling uncomfortable. Isn't there enough hate and negativity in the world?

Posted by: homer | Dec 3, 2010 12:17:00 PM

23. There's a lot of a holes on this forum. Nothings ever enough for you people. Always a bunch of critics. A hugely poluar prime time network show has multiple gay characters singing several romantic duets together and all you do is complain. Maybe Kurt, playing a 15 year old boy, is not meant to be your sexual fantasy. Maybe he's just supposed to represent one of thousands of types of people that exist in this world. He's effeminate, so what? There are effeminate men in the world, why should a character on tv not represent some of them? Jesus you people make me sick to my stomach. How can you be so judgmental of somebody who is different from the "gay" you think people are supposed to be? Hypocrites.

Posted by: Brad | Dec 3, 2010 12:18:07 PM

24. "....I never thought I'd see the day where two men sang a Christmas/love song duet on national TV - regardless of orientation."

I have the vague recollection of Bing Crosby and Dean Martin singing "It's Cold Outside" on one or the other's Christmas Special over 35-years ago. Both in tuxedoes, drinking Scotch (it was the late 60', early 70'), and the "Baby"-line delivry was in the masculine Cool Cat, 60's Rat Pack version of "..Baby".

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Dec 3, 2010 12:21:38 PM

25. I'm guessing Mstroz didn't read the replies before running his mouth AGAIN. Jay, well done on all your comments. Points well made and every one of you should be reading them.

As far as a "good gay", well the only definition of that is the person that is being true to themselves without being self destructive or harmful to others. Don't care if you're camp, queeny, super flamboyant, butch, tough, muscled, whatever. As long as that is the person you are in your heart, then you are a "good person". Regardless.

Posted by: Tim | Dec 3, 2010 12:30:41 PM