Chris Colfer | Christmas | Darren Criss | Glee | News

Watch: Darren Criss and Chris Colfer Duet in 'Baby It's Cold Outside'

Cold

Glee's Darren Criss and Chris Colfer duet on "Baby It's Cold Outside" in a preview from Glee's holiday episode.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. For a second I thought I was on the wrong website?
    "May as well be a woman?" [I'm sorry, is there is something wrong about being a woman? Is that some sort of put down?']
    "...way to Nellie"???
    "Girly Boys"???

C'mon people! Think about what you are saying before you say it.
    Homophobic heterosexuals I can handle--but homophobic GLBT and homophobic GLBT-friendly people???
    ST

Posted by: STROP | Dec 3, 2010 2:06:02 PM

2. Charming, groundbreaking, delightful. Although it's both teasing and disappointing that there was no real affection (not even a TOUCH) at all, it seems (from reports, at any rate) that the writers haven't decided where this relationship is going.

Now to the fey. First of all, Kurt is not by any means the most fey gay out there, not by a long shot. Second, fey gays have their admirers, too, boys. Personally, I'd like to make Kurt scream ecstatic high notes all night long.

Posted by: rascal | Dec 3, 2010 2:17:01 PM

3. jesus, what is with all you bitter bitches? fecking hell. if you can't enjoy this cute video, then move on, rather than criticizing two kids who are more talented, more famous and more well-adjusted than you likely will ever be.

Posted by: james | Dec 3, 2010 2:17:23 PM

4. OMG, its a TV show! Complaining about a character on TV has nothing to do with internalized homophobia or homophobia in general. Ever watch a something and wish a character was doing something differently or wish the character was gay or smarter or something else?

Get off your holier than thou fucking high horse. You all are so amazingly evolved, I am so impressed.

Posted by: David | Dec 3, 2010 2:27:37 PM

5. He had me at "But baby ..."

Posted by: Rob | Dec 3, 2010 2:34:29 PM

6. I agree with the people that said this was wonderful to see two boys sing this song together. Its amazing how far we have come. We take everything for granted these days - Thanks to Ryan Murphy, the success of the show, a supportive TV network (Fox, believe it or not), and an audience that likes that Kurt is a little fabulous - we have this scene broadcast to gay kids all over America, who now have at least SOMETHING - more than we EVER had when we were young.

Also, to the people that complain about how feminine Kurt is its homophobic to call him "nellie" (c'mon who uses those words anymore?) and bad for the community. Portraying feminine gay men on TV is not bad. It's reality. Kurt's a sympathetic character. He's a lead. He gets to belt out showtunes. He gets kissed by hairy teen jocks in locker rooms. How is that not progressive?

Gay characters on TV are often very feminine and flamboyant and there's nothing wrong with that. To hear gay people say there is really shows that many gay men are really not that tolerant at all of feminine men.

one more thing: When most straight men make fun of gay people they're making fun of femininity along with the same-sex attraction. Femininity isn't separated from homosexuality.

We're all part of the GLBT community and none of us are perfect. Most gay men are not tough, masculine, muscular str8-acting men. Many gay men are more feminine than many women.

So take pride in being fabulous. There's nothing to be ashamed of. (and judging by your comments, half of you are still in the closet)

Posted by: sysm29 | Dec 3, 2010 3:05:25 PM

7. Some guys are effeminate. Get over it. Unbelievable with all the struggles we as gay people are going through to be criticized as not being butch enough. I'm disgusted by you guys and ashamed. Please don't comment again.

Posted by: Curt | Dec 3, 2010 3:06:52 PM

8. @David,

"The boy and girl in this clip are adorable"
    POSTED BY: DAVID | DEC 3, 2010 1:18:04 PM

"OMG, its a TV show! Complaining about a character on TV has nothing to do with internalized homophobia or homophobia in general."
    POSTED BY: DAVID | DEC 3, 2010 2:27:37 PM

Deny all you want, but your internalized homophobia is showing. You're not very convincing. Ha ha!

Posted by: Adrian | Dec 3, 2010 3:37:33 PM

9. what i see is the possibility that being gay is not about masc.,fem. or even wearing the latest couture. Perhaps, Kirk is learning that those things do not define a person's sexuality.

Previously, Kirk was a little over the top and campy with his personality and the way he dressed.I am willing to bet MOST on here, went through that faze of coming out and have since settled into a middle ground. Most us can turn the "fey" on and off, depending on the environment. And now that he has to wear a uniform, he is now "one of many", instead of "The Gay Guy". Humbling and liberating at the same time.

Posted by: The Realist | Dec 3, 2010 3:42:13 PM

10. OMG. Some of you people are just terrible. Get over yourselves. He has a high voice. That doesn't make him a 'girl' or mean he's overly feminine.

And he got nominated for a damn Emmy (and probably will again), for heaven's sake. No one's taking him as a 'clown.'

I seriously can't stand some of the bitter 'queens' in the gay community. Give me a high-voiced 'clown' like Kurt's character over them any day of the week.

Posted by: Ryan | Dec 3, 2010 3:43:59 PM

11. Slow clap for Jay.

Posted by: virtualdespot | Dec 3, 2010 4:17:06 PM

12. Awe, virtualdespot, you made your presence known. Good for you.

Posted by: Jay | Dec 3, 2010 4:38:51 PM

13. Femilicious delicate boys do indeed have an audience; cunty pathological narcissists who hate on them have an audience too, but as big.

Posted by: freestuffffff | Dec 3, 2010 4:51:00 PM

14. Dang. What I meant to say of course was, "Femilicious delicate boys do indeed have an audience; cunty pathological narcissists who hate on them have an audience too, but NOT as big." So pissed I messed up my own glorious pithiness. Aie.

Posted by: freestuffffff | Dec 3, 2010 4:55:02 PM

15. This is actually a very good discussion point. When I was in high school and dealing with how I looked at guys, my only reference was how girls looked at guys like you saw day to day or in the movies. I thought I was SUPPOSED to be a little feminine. As I learned about myself, had more experience, and became comfortable I just did what I liked - which isn't all that feminine.

Another very important issue this brings up is that just because you meet someone else who is gay, that DOESN'T mean you have to have sex with them to be their friend. This idea is behind the scary shower stories in DADT repeal - gays can't control themselves to have sex. It's a terrible message that needs to be un-reinforced as much as possible.

Posted by: steve talbert | Dec 3, 2010 4:55:06 PM

16. A lot of you guys really need to rethink your comments on here.
    I'm a helpline counselor for The Trevor Project and happen to know that quite a few of those kids come to this blog frequently as an outlet to feel "connected" to the gay community.
    I'm sure they clicked on this post due to the Glee subject, and I am HORRIFIED at the thought that they may have read some of your comments.
    Is this what we're trying to convey to them?!?!
    Stick it out. "It Gets Better"
    Because once you get through the hell for you that is High School, you get to deal with fellow gay men treating you in the same fashion?!?
    I'm appalled. Really.
    And if any of those kids did read these comments...
    Please ignore all of these guys. You're great.
    "Nellie" or not.

Posted by: Jack | Dec 3, 2010 5:16:24 PM

17. I loved it--thought it was adorable. Those two boys remind me of myself and my boyfriend years ago in boarding school. I don't know why some of you are so bitter about a really wonderful clip.

Posted by: LAXJFK | Dec 3, 2010 5:52:54 PM

18. You gotta love a show in which two gay men sing a traditional holiday love song to each other but it was more cute than hot. Darren Criss was born to be a star.

Posted by: jaragon | Dec 3, 2010 6:05:04 PM

19. @jaragon. Darren Criss is talented... but he has been in theater and music since before 6 years old and went after school to a theater program in san francisco and got a degree at UMich in drama... so his hard work and dedication for basically 16 years is showing..

Posted by: stevetalbert | Dec 3, 2010 6:31:25 PM

20. You can really see the body language when watching without the sound. In some ways even better than with the almost creepy date rape lyrics.

Posted by: stevetalbert | Dec 3, 2010 6:40:59 PM

21. Every character on Glee is a stereotype. Every single one. Over time, we’ve seen glimpses of other facets to their personalities to learn that people aren’t always what they appear to be on the surface. We also see that people grow and change as realities collide with their pre-conceived ideals. There have been many times I find I don’t like a character for a couple of episodes as we’ve gotten to know them and they go through their growing pains. That’s pretty much like real life.

I thought this duet was very cute and interesting because we don’t know the complete context of the scene so the storyline is ambiguous to me. One speculation is that Kurt isn’t feeling comfortable at Dalton and wants to return to McKinley and Blaine is trying to convince him to stay because it’s safe there. We’ll only know the full meaning of the scene when we see the show.

I remember going to my first Gay Pride Parade many, many years ago and sitting on the curb in West Hollywood next to a guy about my age who was an auto mechanic from Riverside with missing teeth – which was a far cry from the pretty gym boy of my image of the ideal gay man - and which was fairly inconceivable to most people’s image of a gay man at the time. We both got drunk and had a great time and my stereotype image of auto mechanics from Riverside was changed forever.

Posted by: Snow | Dec 3, 2010 6:46:51 PM

22. To criticize the character of Kurt for his place on the gender spectrum is both homophobic and misogynist. Nothing any of you mouth breathing trolls produce from that void you call a mind is going to convince me otherwise.

I wish I could come on a queer blog and escape the condemnation and homophobia, but I guess not.... c'est la vie

Posted by: MadM@ | Dec 3, 2010 6:55:01 PM

23. When's that colfer chick gonna get the vagina surgery? GAD, it's painful to watch!

The irony is that those calling for "diversity" in defending more effeminate gay men and their perpetual parade on the media for laughs, etc, is that these representations couldn't be any more two dimensional and generic...they are types without even the pretense of nuance. Diversity=stereotype, and apparently stereotype=good. Now, of course stereotypes exist for a reason, it's just that nelly queen has more than had its day...and if you're effeminate, you don't have to be obnoxious and catty...a send up of masculinity, do you?

Posted by: TANK | Dec 3, 2010 7:08:04 PM

24. @Jay Everything you said is 100% corrected. Colfer didn't modify his voice to be Kurt he actually sounds like that. There are many varieties of gay and if the more effeminate ones bother you ten please keep your self-hate to yourself. We have too much adversity as a community to have to deal with it from within as well.

Posted by: Andrew | Dec 3, 2010 7:28:34 PM

25. I think, from what I can gather from most of the back and forth, is that one side is trying to support the equal representation through the use of all types of gay characters, while the other is pointing to the fact that there are many examples of flamboyant personalities but very few that represent other types.

As someone who can't stand Glee because it's just too camp for me--- not because of Kurt's character but the whole silliness of the show, and what I feel, a drop in writing since the middle of the first season--- I think that Kurt does have a powerful message for those who are gay, in that they can be accepted by friends and family even through their struggles. They aren't alone, and Kurt does appear as a multi-faceted character. He may be 'feminine', but he's also a singer, dancer, was on the football team, suffered the death of his mother, etc.

The other side does have a point in that in terms of stereotyping, Gays have now become the go-to for television series to poke fun. Just look at most minority groups and their associations on television. African-Americans still are stereotyped, even after many years of fighting hard to accomplish themselves and to be taken seriously.

I would like to see a gay character like me (which I think, in essence, is what some people here are feeling). Is this asking for a lot? Yes, of course it is! But I don't feel like I can identify with Kurt's experiences at all, and I think it would be amazing if they had a Gay character who was 'gay', but that was not one of the most evident portions of his storyline. I can think of very few Main Characters (some of the ones listed previously were non-essential characters) who were not made to have sexuality be the scope of their character development.

That has, in fact, been my biggest complaint with the show. Most character development has occurred through creating stereotypes and then exploring facets of their personalities, rather than having personalities and storylines that were only influenced, not focused on them.

But then, it's a show made for high schoolers, and I just spent entirely too long writing an observation about it.

Posted by: Andrew | Dec 3, 2010 7:33:20 PM